Anchoring for Halibut

O

osprey

I am pretty green at this anchoring for Halibut thing. Mostly we drift mooch here in the states. Iv'e tried anchoring for Buts a few times with no success. Any tips would be appreciated.(Not looking for waypoints just things like what to look for in a good anchoring spot, baits, max current speeds,depths, etc. Thanks, Osprey

Osprey....if you do a search on here there is a LONG, VERY informative thread on here all about anchoring.

One of the other members may have it bookmarked and be able to find it for you.

To the mods....it may also be a good thread to sticky. Great info and also great safety tips in it. [8D]

Osprey....if you do a search on here there is a LONG, VERY informative thread on here all about anchoring.

One of the other members may have it bookmarked and be able to find it for you.

To the mods....it may also be a good thread to sticky. Great info and also great safety tips in it. [8D]

Thanks Pippen I will do just that. Feel free to jump in anytime Bananas, near as I can tell you might have a couple decent pointers.[8D]

Thanks Pippen I will do just that. Feel free to jump in anytime Bananas, near as I can tell you might have a couple decent pointers.[8D]

Alright I get it !! I promise not to cork anybody. I was born at night but not last night. Most of the posts deal with anchoring safety and etiquette. I got that part through my thick skull already. I guess I'm mostly interested in what to look for in an anchoring spot. IE,droppoffs bottom composition and such . Gear recommendations would be good also. Osprey

Alright I get it !! I promise not to cork anybody. I was born at night but not last night. Most of the posts deal with anchoring safety and etiquette. I got that part through my thick skull already. I guess I'm mostly interested in what to look for in an anchoring spot. IE,droppoffs bottom composition and such . Gear recommendations would be good also. Osprey

UNKNOWN Posted - 08/12/2010 : 18:20:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...take the rescent events at Winter Harbour into consideration when choosing weather and water conditions for anchoring. Be safe, play safe...fish safe.

Maybe you haven't read the entire thread as I have, I have a couple of posts in there Unknown. Osprey

UNKNOWN Posted - 08/12/2010 : 18:20:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...take the rescent events at Winter Harbour into consideration when choosing weather and water conditions for anchoring. Be safe, play safe...fish safe.

Maybe you haven't read the entire thread as I have, I have a couple of posts in there Unknown. Osprey

Point well taken. I promise to be safe . This is not my first rodeo though. I am a vetran commie with alot of AK experience . Now I am just a sporty with some Hbut ????'s. Osprey

Point well taken. I promise to be safe . This is not my first rodeo though. I am a vetran commie with alot of AK experience . Now I am just a sporty with some Hbut ????'s. Osprey

Well I never said I was a Halibut pro! I just meant I have alot of boating fishing experience in general. Sorry I touched a nerve Unkown. If I proffessed to know it all why would I be asking? I think we got off on the wrong foot I promise to lay off the wobbly pops.:D

Well I never said I was a Halibut pro! I just meant I have alot of boating fishing experience in general. Sorry I touched a nerve Unkown. If I proffessed to know it all why would I be asking? I think we got off on the wrong foot I promise to lay off the wobbly pops.:D

I actually longlined in AK for halibut when I was about 14. I was too young and stupid to pay attention to what my old man was trying to teach me about it. Now that I have questions about it he is no longer and option for info. I did learn I never wanted to longline again after almost getting drug overboard. Osprey

Back