American Gillnet Fishery near mouth of Fraser

cohochinook

To all - Please find attached the press notice from the Fraser Panel this date. Please take note of the extended seine and gillnet fisheries that have been approved for the U.S. waters. The head of the Canadian Panel had to agree to this.

You will note that they claim non-retention of Sockeye, a very sick joke in the gillnet fishery. They use at least 200 fathoms of net, monofilament generally, with 90 meshes deep and a two hour drift in the ocean.

They may not retain the Sockeye but it matters little as they all will be dead.

You will note that gillnets and seines are open until Monday Sept 3 in areas 6, 7 & 7A - Off Point Roberts adjacent to the mouth of the Fraser. In areas 4B, 5, and 6C gillnets have been extended until noon next Wednesday.

So not only does DFO continue to approve the killing of the Sockeye they claim to care so much about, but they allow major extensions on the commercial U.S. harvest of Pink Salmon while they continue to keep the recreational fishery in the Fraser River at 2 per day, "until they can get a run size". It seems they don't need run sizes for those very selective gillnets but this highly efficient "non selective", (by DFO definition) sport fishery that might, I mean MIGHT encounter 50 Sockeye over the next month, is restricted because I guess we are Canadian.

Bill Otway

Cohochinook, are you able to clarify/refresh my memory on the history of American targeting of Fraser fish. My understanding is that due to American financial assistance of rockslide repair and building of fishways many decades ago near Hell's Gate, the Canadian Gov't agreed to allow a ratio of approximately 1/3 to Canada, 1/3 to US, and 1/3 to escapement for perpetuity. Of course, many Fraser fish swim through US waters, so it could be argued that any agreement is better than a summerlong Bellingham to the Apex free for all. With the court rulings regarding native allocations in both countries, I'm not sure where that leaves non-native Canadian commercials, or more importantly Canadian sportfishers. Thanks for any help.

I am not sure on how allocations to Americans are given. What I don't understand is how they can allow the fishery to take place, when their is a conservation concern for Sockeye. I can email you the .pdf attachment I have on the announcement if you want to shoot me an email. I did not know how to post it on the forum.

hi all,mabe i can help.i got a chance to hang out with a dfo fish checker on wed, thurs. The seiners had a 12 hr. opening.They were targeting pinks.i also went to pt. roberts to try and catch pinks after the opening.A little success for us 3 people 2 pinks lost afew more.sad for us there were tens of thousands milling about on the surface,jumping also schools visiable just under the surface.The main ***** i had was the eel grass from all the nets the night before always reeling in and cleaning lines.good luck and be safe[|)]

The catch sharing of Fraser River sockeye is managed by the Pacific Salmon Commission. The most recent agreement on the Fraser, signed in 1999 and in effect for 12 years, allows for a U.S. catch of 16.5% of the allowable catch.

Back