Aluminum boat advise

Hello all,
new member to this forum. Big thanks already to all members, been learning so much from browsing. I'm hoping to switch up my boat in the next year and hoping for a bit of advise and insight from any members who wish to comment. Looking to take the leap into the aluminum boat market. Ideally looking for a 17'-18'ish plus a pod w/ 4 stroke power (90 hp and up) or etec power. walk through windsheid with canvas top. trying to keep hull weight down for towing and fuel economy. I've kept my eyes on the used market for quite a while but aluminums go fast when the come up! went to a couple of local dealerships for the first time in my life to look at brand new boats! pretty scarry concept but worth looking around and was actually quite surprised at the price of this silverstreak(which i have always loved the design of)

http://www.sgpower.com/pre_owned_de...1K24K2013J10I27I35JPMQ7378R0&veh=2783668&nv=y
list price is $28 999 w/90 yamaha and trailer! definatly abase model compared to ordering from silverstreak but that price is good!

also stopped in at sherwood marine
to check out the hewes sportsman and searunner. definatly pricier and more of a "production" boat but some nice features to be had.

anyone have any experience with either of these boats? other good deals to be had out there? quite open to suggestions as i want this boat to be just right! also anyone with experience with either of those dealerships please comment on customer service!

my top line is $30 000. hoping that gives enough information to get some help from sfbc!

cheers

oh also opinions? seems like a reasonable price since its repowered and trailerd plus the electronics and downriggers. to bad it doeant have a pod or i'd jump right on that!

I have a 20 ft Silverstreak and it is a great boat! Super tough, very well designed and built. Some of the US made aluminum boats seem too much like river boats to me with shallower sides and flatter hulls which can make for a less seaworthy boat that pounds more in the chop. IMHO you won't go wrong with a Silverstreak as it is designed for the west coast. My 2 bits.

Lots of guys will help post useful links to boats for sale, but if you see one you like don't post a link to get opinions or one of us or a lurker will buy it before you if it's a good deal on a great boat.

I will send you a couple private messages with links to boats in the states if you feel like going to Washington to get a good deal.

thanks tubber,
if it was a boat i was seriously considering i would have kept it to my self. as of now i was more trying to nail down what boats are worth to make sure i dont get ripped ff when the time comes
cheers

I had a Hewescraft 180 Searunner w/a Yammy 115 and 8HT that I just sold.

It has pluses and minuses;

Plus;
- economical to run and maintain. Easy on gas and can cruise at 4200 and 30 mph w/2 people and full gear.
- very stable fishing platform, lots of room for fishing.
- tons of storage w/under seats, anchor locker, fish tub, between seats in the floor.
- nice ride in good weather, can be a bit rough when the weather comes up.
- easy to tow, use a Chev 1/2 ton.

Cons;
- they have a problem (might have corrected it by now, mine was a 2007) with dissimalar metal between the SS canvas snaps and the aluminum. Need rubber gromets.
- The Zolatone paint is peeling along the window frames.
- the seats are not that comfortable.
- cheap window wiper motor. never had a problem with mine, but lots of complaints on the net about them.
- Aluminum is a cold boat.

There is a Hewescraft web forum that has a ton of info on there about the boats, including the pro's and cons of them.

I liked mine and most of my complaints were cosmetic.

Good luck in you search.

Cheers

SS

16 ft armstrong 55 honda 28 mph very easy on gas very good sea boat made of 1/8 th aluminum only fault gas tank only 18 gal but enough for two trips out of port hardy no kicker needed trolls slow as wanted

yeah jackel i do love the north west aluminums! but i just figured they'd be outa my pricerange! next time i'm in the langford area i'll give them a call and try to stop by. I've heard nothing but good things about the boats and owner doug. anyone on here run a under 20' northwest? pictures. to bad theyre too busy to have a website for us to snoop boat pics.

thanks SS,
good to hear reviews from an ex owner. what do you run now? i grew up on aluminum boats as a kid and after owning a fiberglass bottomed inflatable for a few years have to go back to aluminum. did your hewes have the extended transom (pod)?

cheers

thanks SS,
good to hear reviews from an ex owner. what do you run now? i grew up on aluminum boats as a kid and after owning a fiberglass bottomed inflatable for a few years have to go back to aluminum. did your hewes have the extended transom (pod)?

cheers

The boat was a reg transome, which was fine.

I will hope to be running another aluminum, but the Jet variety, as I am a long way from the ocean now.

Cheers

SS

I had the 180 searunner and SS hit the nail on the head. Hewescraft does not put a clear coat on there zolotone so it does not hold up that well. I was always screwing with the wiper motors. There are good safe boats. I had a 115 on my 180et and if I did it again it would be the 150hp get as close to the max hp rating as you can.

I've had an 18 foot Harbercraft (now Kingfisher) for over 10 years. I spend about a month per year at Campbell River and the rest of the time it's used in fresh water. It has a full transom and splash well. No issues with this boat, it will handle a lot of rough stuff. The only advice I can offer is:
- these boats all need trim tabs. They are light weight, and you need to be able to get the bow down in chop.
- get a boat that is at least .125. Mine is .108 and you can see distortion in the bow from pounding into waves. Doesn't affect performance but looks bad.
- I don't like the fit/finish of the Hewes craft at all. I've been on and driven many of these "cookie cutter" boats and there is not too much difference in handling and performance but a lot in quality. I like the Kingfisher boats.
- The 20 foot Kingfisher (you can get a ragtop, hardtop, 1/2 hardtop, Hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead) is a VERY nice boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zolotone is a water based product and needs to be cleared unfortunately the clear they use is epoxy and it yellows and fails very quick,We spray our automotive clear over it and it looks great for a long time

Albernifisher do you guy put a clear on the zolotone that's inside the cabin or just exterior paint?

Bump! just sold my boat so definatly ready to find a nice aluminum. If anyone knows of a 18-20 with walk through windshield for sale please let me know!

Have a look at Legend boats in Chilliwack.

Back