All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly fits the bill alright...

The role of psychiatrists in addressing COVID-19 conspiracy theories​

Research has established that people who are prone to accept conspiracy theories are predisposed to suffer from Paranoid Personality Disorder (Darwin et al., 2011). In this disorder, patients have a generalized mistrust of others, they may be hypersensitive, feel easily insulted, and are constantly on the watch for what others may do to them. Additionally, they are eager observers, seeking for patterns that most of the time are inexistent.

Studies have also established a correlation between proneness to believe conspiracy theories, and prevalence of Schizotypal Personality Disorder (Cichocka et al., 2016). In this disorder, patients feel unease relating to others and keeping close relationships; likewise, a frequently observed feature is odd behaviors (particularly related to dress modes) and magical thinking.

People with Schizotypal Personality Disorder are frequently uninterested in meaningful social relationships, but they tend to compensate that by having a rich inner mental life; in this endeavor, they may fantasize with conspiracy theories, and ultimately come to believe them very strongly.

Narcissist Personality Disorder is another diagnosis that researchers have correlated with proneness to accept conspiracy theories (Golec de Zavala and Federico, 2018). In this disorder, patients have exaggerated feelings of self-importance, and require an excessive need for admiration, usually to the point of lacking empathy towards other people. This makes it more likely that, whenever such patients get infected with COVID-19, their sense of self-aggrandizement compels them to believe that, given their importance to the world, such misfortune could not be a mere accidental feature of the natural world, but rather, it had to be an attack by some sinister cabal.

Pretty much nailed it.

Nog

Research has established that people who are prone to accept conspiracy theories are predisposed to suffer from Paranoid Personality Disorder (Darwin et al., 2011). In this disorder, patients have a generalized mistrust of others, they may be hypersensitive, feel easily insulted, and are constantly on the watch for what others may do to them. Additionally, they are eager observers, seeking for patterns that most of the time are inexistent.

Studies have also established a correlation between proneness to believe conspiracy theories, and prevalence of Schizotypal Personality Disorder (Cichocka et al., 2016). In this disorder, patients feel unease relating to others and keeping close relationships; likewise, a frequently observed feature is odd behaviors (particularly related to dress modes) and magical thinking.

People with Schizotypal Personality Disorder are frequently uninterested in meaningful social relationships, but they tend to compensate that by having a rich inner mental life; in this endeavor, they may fantasize with conspiracy theories, and ultimately come to believe them very strongly.

Narcissist Personality Disorder is another diagnosis that researchers have correlated with proneness to accept conspiracy theories (Golec de Zavala and Federico, 2018). In this disorder, patients have exaggerated feelings of self-importance, and require an excessive need for admiration, usually to the point of lacking empathy towards other people. This makes it more likely that, whenever such patients get infected with COVID-19, their sense of self-aggrandizement compels them to believe that, given their importance to the world, such misfortune could not be a mere accidental feature of the natural world, but rather, it had to be an attack by some sinister cabal.

Pretty much nailed it.

Nog

Thats scary that 50% of Americans fit into that.

Pretty much nailed it.

Nog
My take is that conspiracy theories are irresistible because they appeal to a person's belief that they're smarter than others, or privy to special insider information. Potent psychological hooks. Certainly the narcissist personality grabs onto this.

My take is that conspiracy theories are irresistible because they appeal to a person's belief that they're smarter than others, or privy to special insider information. Potent psychological hooks. Certainly the narcissist personality grabs onto this.
I think it's more to do with a lack of self awareness. A lack of accountability for their own actions. And last but most importantly, it's someone or something to blame their sh!tty life on. It's the reason they don't own a house. It's the reason they didn't go to college. It's the reason their parents got a divorce or why their brother is more successful than they are. It's a pitty party at it's finest.

I should say though that I don't believe that everyone that distrusts the government is a conspiracy theorist or a wackadoo.

Last edited:
I've tried so hard to maintain my support for our health officials. I followed the rules and got vaxed right away. But man, at least a dozen times I've watched their news conferences and slammed my hand into my face. They just keep adding fuel to the stupidity fire with their CONSTANT contradictions. I don't blame anyone at this point for not listening to them, to each their own. These guys suck.
Sorry to hear that you got suckered so quickly. Agree that our PHO suck badly.

Personally looking forward to events again. The workers in this sector are being cut off end of month from benefits federally. Has to open up.

We as a country can't afford giving out free tax money/benefits too businesses and people anymore. We have a trillion in debt.

Not really surprising that move was made.

Last edited:
Just went and watched Dune at the theater with some buds. Man did I miss that. None of us could remember the last movie we saw in a theater it had been so long.

Friday Oct 22, 2021

If you want an extensive list of the vaccine coverage for all of BC you can find it here at this link.
https://www.chly.ca/local-news/2020/3/28/covid-19-on-vancouver-island-by-the-numbers

FCWwpsfUUAAAwfD

Oct 22, 2021

British Columbia announced 649 new cases of COVID-19 and 13 more deaths on Friday.

In a written statement, the provincial health ministry said there are currently 5,106 active cases of people infected with the novel coronavirus in B.C.

A total of 365 people are in hospital, with 143 in intensive care.

Overall hospitalizations, which typically lag behind spikes and dips in new cases, are down by two from last Friday, when 367 people were in hospital with the disease and up by about 12.7 per cent from a month ago when 324 people were in hospital.

The number of patients in intensive care is down by about 5.9 per cent from 152 a week ago and by 8.9 per cent from a month ago when 157 people were in the ICU.

The provincial death toll from COVID-19 is now 2,109 lives lost out of 200,898 confirmed cases to date.

More:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-oct22-1.6221090

FCVyix_VkAYYrih

FCV0qIQUUAA2KH7

I think it's more to do with a lack of self awareness. A lack of accountability for their own actions. And last but most importantly, it's someone or something to blame their sh!tty life on. It's the reason they don't own a house. It's the reason they didn't go to college. It's the reason their parents got a divorce or why their brother is more successful than they are. It's a pitty party at it's finest.

I should say though that I don't believe that everyone that distrusts the government is a conspiracy theorist or a wackadoo.
Definitely know some folks who fit that picture. Also know some who fit the general image of "successful"; ie, decent job/business, own their home and so on. But who also are convinced COVID is massively overblown (at best), or more likely a deliberate hoax on the part of govt and big pharma. Interestingly, these ones have taken the vaccine (self preservation? Hedging their bets?), but continue to promote their "research" on social media, spreading The Truth Behind The Lies. Again, for these folks the hook is that they're smarter, the elite few who see what's really going on.

Where did those Dr Fauci articles go that were posted here last night? Not sure who posted them but if they could send them to me that would be great

Cheers

I posted them and then deleted it because I decided I didn’t want to get into it. My post was basically making the point that people have every right to be sceptical these days. This guy potentially lied to Congress and has been steering the Covid ship for the entire USA.

Thanks for posting again, he has been steering the ship in the US for almost 50 years. My personal opinion is he’s not that nice of a man

I have saved these links now for the fact you want to delete them again

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back