All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Es501t-W4AIuBgo

This will be suitable for lower risk folks like myself. The high risk folks should/will get the current ~95% efficiency.

A single dose with 60-70% efficiency is a game changer for crushing this virus.

Remember the vast majority of folks are low risk. Those are also the majority of folks getting sick & spreading it. Cutting that number by 2/3 will be a dramatic reduction in cases & take pressure off our health care.

With all the bad new as of late, we should take this as good news.

Good chance on getting this in arms before summer. This could save a lot of business that rely on tourism.

My 2 cents anyways

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone else, but signing a contract to buy stuff we need isn't really the accomplishment I'm looking for, from anyone.

I'm looking for games won, relative to other teams, and any other metric is pretty meaningless if you ask me. Who cares if the Leafs have a stack of cups from before I was born? That's not the metric of performance anybody cares about. Who cares if you have every number one draft pick from the last ten years? Are you beating the field?

Signing a deal to buy stuff is like announcing a big draft pick. That's potentially valuable, assuming everything plays out like a bunch of politicians with a really poor track record say it will, but unless and until we're comparing well against other G20 nations, say... maybe get to work, how about that?

Talk is cheap; get the country vaccinated. Anything else is just a different category of failure.

The pharmas are acting just like typical suppliers, they over promise and under deliver. Happens all the time in my business.
Me: "Price is good, what is the lead time to delivery?"
Sales: "4 weeks."
Me: "That works, place the order."
Sales: "Sure, please send deposit."

(3 weeks after I pay)
Me: "Can you confirm a delivery date?"
Shipping: "Should be another month."
Me: F@#$
Shipping: "Sales guy told you 4 weeks, huh?"
Me: F@#k F@#k F@#kity F@#k

Pharmas are doing same thing on a global scale with the hottest commodity on the planet bar none.

If it's affecting everyone roughly equally, that'll be easy to tell: we'll all remain in roughly the same order in terms of per capita vaccination.

If the order starts to change rapidly, that'll be a good indicator of what countries were prepared, and which system is working. I mean what other criteria could you use?

"We're playing great hockey out there and the only reason we're always losing is that a coach from several decades ago decided we didn't need our own goalie. But that's not an indicator that we're doing anything badly, it's just a tough league these days."

If we finish the season ahead of most of the other countries, we're good at playing NHL-level pandemic response.

If we don't, we're not. Any other take is pointless.
The hockey analogy falls a bit flat. This isn't a one variable situation, a game where we just need to grind a little harder and outplay the other team to get that puck in the net and win the game!

The critical limiting factor is access to the vaccine and that is under the control of the pharmaceuticals. The options for exerting leverage on them are limited. The only alternate path is to ensure that orders are placed broadly so that Canada has a piece of any vaccine that proves viable, and that has been done, and to ensure the distribution network is ready, and that is largely done.

The hockey analogy falls a bit flat. This isn't a one variable situation, a game where we just need to grind a little harder and outplay the other team to get that puck in the net and win the game!

The critical limiting factor is access to the vaccine and that is under the control of the pharmaceuticals. The options for exerting leverage on them are limited. The only alternate path is to ensure that orders are placed broadly so that Canada has a piece of any vaccine that proves viable, and that has been done, and to ensure the distribution network is ready, and that is largely done.
Well, if they're doing a good job relative to other countries, we'll land high in the standings. If they're not, we won't. That's all you need to take from the hockey analogy: if they're good, they'll perform well relative to other G20 countries. If they aren't any good, they'll perform worse. The pharmaceuticals companies are controlling everybody else's supply too, so everybody else is negotiating just like we are to get what we all want.

Anything else is just making excuses, and that's just all there is to it. If you're a leader, you know the deal: the buck stops with you. If our leaders can't lead, let's not pretend there's some special hurdle they had to overcome that none of their competitors did; they either perform well or they don't. If our system is really good compared to other countries, we'll distribute and administer the vaccines faster than they will. If it isn't, then we won't.

If we don't outperform most of our competitors, then they're not doing it well, and it doesn't matter what analogy anybody uses. You either perform well in the conditions you're facing or you don't. These are the conditions we're facing. Not super interested in hearing about how a Hewescraft 170 is actually a great boat and there's nothing the matter with them...if we're in one, trying to cross the North Atlantic in December. We don't have the leaders and system we have only when the weather's good, we have them when it's bad, too. Well, now it's bad. Can they handle it?

Talk is cheap, let's see them outperform the G20 median. That would indicate they're doing at least somewhat well. Top five result and I'd say they're doing quite well. Bottom five result and they're doing pretty badly. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just looking to shift blame, and that would be true no matter what party was in power. Theory is fine, in theory. Show us results.

This thread is wandering off topic again. When it comes to governments performances, I am sure they have all had some failing and some passing marks along the way, but we are not going to turn this thread into that debate.

This thread is wandering off topic again. When it comes to governments performances, I am sure they have all had some failing and some passing marks along the way, but we are not going to turn this thread into that debate.
This thread is all things covid, and I think the way the government is handling it is hands down the most important factor associated with it. What would you like us to discuss?

This thread is all things covid, and I think the way the government is handling it is hands down the most important factor associated with it. What would you like us to discuss?
What I would really like to discuss is all things fishing in this fishing forum! However, commenting on news around government announcements to do with Covid is fine, but when the topic of conversation turns to a discussion about government in general and how they are letting us down in all areas of life, not interested. A couple of posts were removed that were headed that way so you can't see the context of my post. And, when it comes to governments coming up short, there is nothing new there!

TORONTO (AP) — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday announced stricter restrictions on travelers in response to new, likely more contagious variants of the novel coronavirus — including making it mandatory for travelers to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada and suspending airline service to Mexico and all Caribbean destinations until April 30.

Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada.

“Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said.

“Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.”
He said the measure will be take effect “in the coming weeks.”

The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for a private PCR test, security, food and the cost of measures the designated hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe.

“The cost is a ballparking. This isn’t like any other facility. This is one where there has to be infection prevention control measures, security and other costs as well. It’s not just a regular stay at a hotel,” said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer.

Tam also said a test will be required on the 10th day after people return.

The prime minister said those with positive tests will be immediately required to quarantine in designated government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of particular concern.

I have been evaluating what summer will mean for tourist business, and potential impact. My suggestion to any one in this business is too plan like last year without the tourists. I wouldn't plan on visitors to the island and across BC this year from other countries. Not going to happen.

I would concentrate on local business, and Canadian visitors only. I know a lot of business owners are thinking it can't happen this year, but from where I sit I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Biden and Trudeau won't open border any time soon. Especially with new variants in the mix, and without a good amount of people vaccinated.

Yeah. Dr. Henry pretty much said the same thing earlier in the week. Our summer won’t be much different from last year’s. Now, if DFO can make an exception and let peeps keep 1 fish/trip, that may make our lives bit easier....

TORONTO (AP) — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday announced stricter restrictions on travelers in response to new, likely more contagious variants of the novel coronavirus — including making it mandatory for travelers to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada and suspending airline service to Mexico and all Caribbean destinations until April 30.

Trudeau said in addition to the pre-boarding test Canada already requires, the government will be introducing mandatory PCR testing at the airport for people returning to Canada.

“Travelers will then have to wait for up to three days at an approved hotel for their test results, at their own expense, which is expected to be more than $2,000,” Trudeau said.

“Those with negative test results will then be able to quarantine at home under significantly increased surveillance and enforcement.”

The steep cost for the hotel stay includes the cost for a private PCR test, security, food and the cost of measures the designated hotels will have to take to keep their workers safe.

“The cost is a ballparking. This isn’t like any other facility. This is one where there has to be infection prevention control measures, security and other costs as well. It’s not just a regular stay at a hotel,” said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer.

The prime minister said those with positive tests will be immediately required to quarantine in designated government facilities to make sure they’re not carrying variants of particular concern.
Trains will take us there, where we get a wrist tattoo. I am still going and booked for trip.

HM

I’m curious how you would handle this situation as a buisness. Do you take bookings from Americans and potentially end up in a situation where your turning away Canadian. Or do u just not take the bookings till you know the border is going to be open

I highly doubt the border will open by summer. The question is will the current restrictions stay in place? Not being able to be with anyone but immediate family will be the end of tourism for the season. Last year was actually very busy for alot of charter guys, but this year things are alot worse and the vaccine plan is falling flat. I like to be optimistic but I dont have much hope for this year.

More or less what Australia and NZ have been doing since March. Island nations have a simpler set of circumstances with only a handful of entry ports to monitor, but these strict measures have allowed them to be close to COVID free. Check out the America's Cup that's been on lately, Auckland beaches crammed with spectators, no masks worn and all legal because cases are near to zero. All good except if you have a business that relies on international tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back