All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
as stated many times, people can think what they want and they will do what that want. I know what me and my family are choosing to do - it’s be overly safe and responsible for the greater good.

what a lot of people don’t realize is that the larger hospitals in BC are already struggling with the current COVID demand. Smaller hospitals CANNOT cope with even moderate COVID volumes, the cases are being sent to larger Centers. What does this mean? The already burdened health system is starting to crumble. Decisions will again have to be made about delaying ones CT scan, cancer or brain surgery, or there will be delays in treating you for your heart attack and you or someone you know will die because of that. Not because YOU have COVID, but because the system cannot keep up and you or someone you know will die because of the system inability to serve the greater good.
Add to all that the fallout created by health care workers getting sick. Most people I’ve heard promoting herd immunity etc are completely clueless about the fact that as infection rates climb in the general population so does the risk of those who care for us getting infected.

Add to all that the fallout created by health care workers getting sick. Most people I’ve heard promoting herd immunity etc are completely clueless about the fact that as infection rates climb in the general population so does the risk of those who care for us getting infected.
The unit beside where I work orthopaedic trauma is now a COVID screening unit, not so fun :(

I Honestly dont think there is any stopping this... AB set a new record today with 1854 new cases.. AB is testing 19,000 people a day. Is that why? If Other places tested more would they have more cases?

I'm just exaughted watching this... Mask have been mandatory for months in the big citys. I Honestly never see anyone with out one. I dont see or hear of any socail gatherings. Folks everywhere I see are focused on getting this under control yet cases keep rising.

I Honestly think it's from pepole going work and just being at work. While wearing a mask. I think most cases are pepole doing everything they can but still getting it.

More restrictions dont work. Every prov6that has tightened restrictions has yet to flatten the curve. Look at Quebec...

Wtf?

I Honestly dont think there is any stopping this... AB set a new record today with 1854 new cases.. AB is testing 19,000 people a day. Is that why? If Other places tested more would they have more cases?

I'm just exaughted watching this... Mask have been mandatory for months in the big citys. I Honestly never see anyone with out one. I dont see or hear of any socail gatherings. Folks everywhere I see are focused on getting this under control yet cases keep rising.

I Honestly think it's from pepole going work and just being at work. While wearing a mask. I think most cases are pepole doing everything they can but still getting it.

More restrictions dont work. Every prov6that has tightened restrictions has yet to flatten the curve. Look at Quebec...

Wtf?
No one in authority will ever admit its out of control and unstoppable even if it's the plain truth.

Wtf?
Didn't someone have a chart on here last week that was the government statistics and AB was testing much less than BC, but a lot more cases? I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: Looks like we are testing about the same but AB has it bad.Screenshot (159).png

image.png

The Vancouver Canucks have parted company with the team’s anthem singer, Mark Donnelly, after he confirmed he will sing ‘O Canada’ this weekend at a downtown Vancouver rally to protest COVID-19 restrictions.

B.C. Christmas Freedom Rally 2020 is set to take place Saturday afternoon outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, the site of multiple anti-mask rallies held throughout the pandemic, often drawing an assortment of anti-mask and anti-vaccine advocates, conspiracy theorists and other far-right figures.

More here:
https://vancouversun.com/news/local...mark-donnelly-to-perform-at-anti-masker-rally

image.png

The Vancouver Canucks have parted company with the team’s anthem singer, Mark Donnelly, after he confirmed he will sing ‘O Canada’ this weekend at a downtown Vancouver rally to protest COVID-19 restrictions.

B.C. Christmas Freedom Rally 2020 is set to take place Saturday afternoon outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, the site of multiple anti-mask rallies held throughout the pandemic, often drawing an assortment of anti-mask and anti-vaccine advocates, conspiracy theorists and other far-right figures.

More here:
https://vancouversun.com/news/local...mark-donnelly-to-perform-at-anti-masker-rally

I think that’s ridiculous. He has every right to protest restrictions. Doesn’t mean he should lose his job. Whether you agree with him or not he has that freedom...or should. For all we or anyone knows he could be going there to protest restrictions as a family friend lost their small business or whatever.

I think that’s ridiculous. He has every right to protest restrictions. Doesn’t mean he should lose his job. Whether you agree with him or not he has that freedom...or should. For all we or anyone knows he could be going there to protest restrictions as a family friend lost their small business or whatever.
There were many vocal season ticket members that said they would not go see another game if he sings the national anthem. Aquilini’s can’t just keep him when they know it hurts their business. Donelly has been singing the anthem for a long time and it was getting stale anyways. I feel likes it’s a good time to change it up and maybe Donnelly wants to retire from it anyways.

Donnelly has every right to attend this event but at the same time he has the right to be criticized. Marie Hui is an excellent replacement and is far more versatile in my opinion. Canucks ownership also has every right to dismiss Donnelly as it directly reflects the brand so this was dumb on his part. Probably should have read his signed Code of Conduct before making the decision to perform at this event. Just my thoughts on the anti-maskers parade.

Donnelly has every right to attend this event but at the same time he has the right to be criticized. Marie Hui is an excellent replacement and is far more versatile in my opinion. Canucks ownership also has every right to dismiss Donnelly as it directly reflects the brand so this was dumb on his part. Probably should have read his signed Code of Conduct before making the decision to perform at this event. Just my thoughts on the anti-maskers parade.
Plus Marie is a fellow Larscheider! And easier on the eyes :)

So, COVID 19 shots are coming real soon according to the Government.
However it seems they are only good for 3 or 4 months.
They have not been around long enough to say they will work long term.

Does this mean you will need shots every 3 to 4 months forever?

Are you planning to get the shot?

I’m a RN and will get the vaccine, as I want to decrease any risk of transmitting to my family and ageing parents. I also have a $3500 flight credit I would like to use and if the vaccine means I can travel to see family it’s a double win. I would prefer I was given a choice of vaccine or at least hear why were getting one vs the other. But it will likely be whatever is available.

I’ll be getting with my wife as she is stage 4

we have a condo in Cabo we want to use

Where did you get the info that it only last 3-4 months? Anything that I have heard or read says that it's unknown how long it will last as the studies are too new to know just how long it will be effective. One article that I read said that after 5 months one study showed that it was still effective in the majority of their participants. There will be lots of learnings in the months to come.

I will get the vaccine when it's my turn in the process. In the meantime I will continue to social distance and wear the mask as recommended by folks that know more about this than I do.

I suspect they'll last much longer than that...the reason flu shots don't last long is that flu viruses have a different mechanism of mutation and can swap entire sections of RNA between flu viruses, making for much higher rates of successful mutation.

Coronaviruses can't do that; they mutate at a much slower pace. There will probably be some fraction of the population that turns out not to retain antibodies well for this, I think that happens with a bunch of different diseases. Those are probably the same people who get the occasional re-infection of this. But I suspect that will be very rare and for most of us it'll give at least a few years of protection.

I'm not in any specific rush to get vaccinated but once it's readily available, I will. There's only a tiny chance I would suffer serious consequences from catching C19 but there's a MUCH tinier chance of suffering serious consequences from the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back