All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well….. Trump did say he loved the poorly educated.

Last edited:
Great news ! It appears that shortly the Earth will be populated only by smart , educated , vaccinated Biden voter people ! Everyone else will die a painful death
Yeah, sometimes you get what you deserve.

As long as you (and the bunch of people in this country) understand that your choice to not get vaxed collectively impacts ALL of us. Sounds like you do. Sorry but it's sort of self centered. Anyway I'm going back to fishing where we can agree on stuff ;) !
The only clarification I'm going to make here is that I haven't made a choice NOT to get vaccinated...I may well get vaccinated, and for sure if I have to travel and get exposed to a bunch of people, I will, because my relative risk will change. In the meantime, I'm waiting to see how some of the studies play out, and what some of the longer term effects we might not immediately see could be. For example...spike protein cytotoxicity. An actual issue, or not? My guess is not, because I think we'd already be seeing broader issues if that were the case, and as one intensivist I know in the US pointed out the other day, he and every other intensivist he knows has dozens of serious cases of covid still in his ICU, mostly old or with comorbidities, sure, but still, he has a bunch of people that are barely making it. And he has yet to see a serious vaccine reaction (which is not surprising to me at all- I think immediate effects are overblown by some people, personally). I think if the spike protein itself was cytotoxic, as SOME studies may have weakly indicated, we'd see it, broadly. So maybe those studies all confirm it's not. But what do I lose by waiting for them? Not much, really.

I don't think that's paranoia, it's just healthy skepticism. If I interacted with the public for work, I'd have gotten the first vaccine I could. If Ladysmith gets hammered by some huge wave of covid, sure, I'll happily get vaccinated, because that's a very different situation. But I work from home. The only time I'm around other people is at the beach. My kid's not in school yet. My wife doesn't work. I live in a small town with no cases. I can afford to wait and the risk anyone runs from my wait-and-see approach is so remote that unless they put on a hardhat and steel toes every time they step into their garage, they've got bigger risks to worry about than me.

I don't mind if people think it's self-centered. It is. I'm trying, as I always do, to maximize the benefit for the people closest to me.

Seems like so much B.S., vaccinations are working plain and simple.
If you don't want to get sick get vaccinated.
If you don't want a vaccination, that's okay but don't blame anyone but yourself if you end up in hospital.
Yeah. But then you and I grt to pay for the hospital bills, lockdowns, Cerb money, travel bans, etc. Wish the impact was that isolated though. :(

Just to reinforce what has been said by me and others regarding the vaccines. These are links from Reuters News fact check project.

Fact Check-COVID-19 vaccines are not ‘cytotoxic’​

Posts are sharing the false statement that the spike protein in COVID-19 vaccines is cytotoxic, suggesting that it kills or damages cells. There is no evidence to support this. YouTube video with the caption: “Spike protein is very dangerous, it’s cytotoxic (Robert Malone, Steve Kirsch, Bret Weinstein).”
https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaccine-cytotoxic-idUSL2N2O01XP

That's the YouTube that one of our members linked to.

Fact Check-No evidence spike proteins from COVID-19 vaccines are toxic

There is no proof that spike proteins created in response to mRNA vaccines are harmful to the body, scientists have told Reuters.
The claim was made by immunologist Byram Bridle
https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...rom-covid-19-vaccines-are-toxic-idUSL2N2NX1J6

So remember that if you see something that has Byram Bridle or Robert Malone you can disregard it as misinformation.
Scientists often disagree with each other, that is part of the scientific process. They submit evidence-based arguments in scientific journals when they disagree. They don't go on obscure YouTube channels to make their one sided case.
GLG

Last edited:

What a sh*tshow....

Overall, only 51% of Republicans said in mid-June that they had received at least one vaccine dose, versus 83% of Democrats, according to an AP-NORC poll. And many appeared to have made up their minds. Forty-six percent of those who had not been vaccinated said they definitely would not. Among Republicans, even more — 53% — said they definitely wouldn’t; just 12% said they were planning to.

At a recent conservative gathering, attendees cheered the news that the Biden administration was falling short of its vaccination goals. Invoking the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., warned, the government: “Don’t come knocking on my door with your Fauci Ouchie! You leave us the hell alone.”

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, a polio survivor who has consistently advocated on behalf of the COVID-19 shots, this week urged the unvaccinated to ignore “all these other voices that are giving demonstrably bad advice.”

Just to reinforce what has been said by me and others regarding the vaccines. These are links from Reuters News fact check project.

Fact Check-COVID-19 vaccines are not ‘cytotoxic’​

Posts are sharing the false statement that the spike protein in COVID-19 vaccines is cytotoxic, suggesting that it kills or damages cells. There is no evidence to support this. YouTube video with the caption: “Spike protein is very dangerous, it’s cytotoxic (Robert Malone, Steve Kirsch, Bret Weinstein).”
https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaccine-cytotoxic-idUSL2N2O01XP

That's the YouTube that one of our members linked to.

Fact Check-No evidence spike proteins from COVID-19 vaccines are toxic

There is no proof that spike proteins created in response to mRNA vaccines are harmful to the body, scientists have told Reuters.
The claim was made by immunologist Byram Bridle
https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...rom-covid-19-vaccines-are-toxic-idUSL2N2NX1J6

So remember that if you see something that has Byram Bridle or Robert Malone you can disregard it as misinformation.
Scientists often disagree with each other, that is part of the scientific process. They submit evidence-based arguments in scientific journals when they disagree. They don't go on obscure YouTube channels to make their one sided case.
GLG

Well thanks, but an appeal to authority isn't nearly as valuable as actually seeing the science, even on something I don't personally find likely.

Particularly when that same authority previously fact checked stuff like the lab leak and concluded it was a groundless conspiracy theory.

They're a news agency. I'm interested in the actual science on this and that will take time.

The only clarification I'm going to make here is that I haven't made a choice NOT to get vaccinated...I may well get vaccinated, and for sure if I have to travel and get exposed to a bunch of people, I will, because my relative risk will change. In the meantime, I'm waiting to see how some of the studies play out, and what some of the longer term effects we might not immediately see could be. For example...spike protein cytotoxicity. An actual issue, or not? My guess is not, because I think we'd already be seeing broader issues if that were the case, and as one intensivist I know in the US pointed out the other day, he and every other intensivist he knows has dozens of serious cases of covid still in his ICU, mostly old or with comorbidities, sure, but still, he has a bunch of people that are barely making it. And he has yet to see a serious vaccine reaction (which is not surprising to me at all- I think immediate effects are overblown by some people, personally). I think if the spike protein itself was cytotoxic, as SOME studies may have weakly indicated, we'd see it, broadly. So maybe those studies all confirm it's not. But what do I lose by waiting for them? Not much, really.

I don't think that's paranoia, it's just healthy skepticism. If I interacted with the public for work, I'd have gotten the first vaccine I could. If Ladysmith gets hammered by some huge wave of covid, sure, I'll happily get vaccinated, because that's a very different situation. But I work from home. The only time I'm around other people is at the beach. My kid's not in school yet. My wife doesn't work. I live in a small town with no cases. I can afford to wait and the risk anyone runs from my wait-and-see approach is so remote that unless they put on a hardhat and steel toes every time they step into their garage, they've got bigger risks to worry about than me.

I don't mind if people think it's self-centered. It is. I'm trying, as I always do, to maximize the benefit for the people closest to me.
I think that you have explained yourself perfectly. I for one would like to see everyone vaccinated but I totally understand your perspective. If others don't agree then so be it.

Well I got my shot on the 20th, no side effects felt perfect, my arm did not even hurt this time.

woke up this morning and my armpit Is swollen and hurts

Well I got my shot on the 20th, no side effects felt perfect, my arm did not even hurt this time.

woke up this morning and my armpit Is swollen and hurts
Haha I got the swollen armpit too on my second shot! I was Moderna. I thought I hurt myself or something but I guess it has to do with the shot.

This is an interesting article that has changed my perspective on the issue. Recommend this for your weekend reading.

"The negativity bias concerns the way you appraise events beyond your control. "When you're presented with negative information, that tends to stick in your mind," says Saleska. The optimism bias, in contrast, concerns your beliefs about yourself – whether you think you are fitter and healthier than the average person. These biases may work independently, meaning that you may focus on the dangerous side effects of the vaccines while simultaneously believing that you are less likely to suffer from the disease, a combination that would reduce confidence and increase complacency."

Well thanks, but an appeal to authority isn't nearly as valuable as actually seeing the science, even on something I don't personally find likely.

Particularly when that same authority previously fact checked stuff like the lab leak and concluded it was a groundless conspiracy theory.

They're a news agency. I'm interested in the actual science on this and that will take time.
Most people don't have the time, they just want to know if it's true or false, hence the fact check. Others such as yourself may want to dig into the weeds and as luck would have it there is a website that does just that. It breaks down the claims and answers them including the links the the peer reviewed studies.
https://byrambridle.com/

Yeah. But then you and I grt to pay for the hospital bills, lockdowns, Cerb money, travel bans, etc. Wish the impact was that isolated though. :(
I'm sure you know that what you are describing is called the free rider problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-rider_problem

One solution could be the green pass / vaccine passport that other province and countries are bring in. Nobody I have talked to lately wants an other lock down but if there is to be one then maybe the unvaccinated should be the ones so the rest us can get on with our lives. We can't be filling our hospital with the unvaccinated as there are others that need those bed for there long delayed surgery's.

I'm sure you know that what you are describing is called the free rider problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-rider_problem

One solution could be the green pass / vaccine passport that other province and countries are bring in. Nobody I have talked to lately wants an other lock down but if there is to be one then maybe the unvaccinated should be the ones so the rest us can get on with our lives. We can't be filling our hospital with the unvaccinated as there are others that need those bed for there long delayed surgery's.
Is that your 'Final Solution'? Possibly the worst take I've seen on this forum.

Maybe we should have a green pass for fit and healthy people who don't burden the healthcare system with completely preventable problems like obesity, heart disease, and stroke. After all - simple lifestyle changes could prevent a lot of these issues. I guess they are just selfish gluttons. Turns out these are the same people largely impacted by Covid! Free rider jerks selfishly taking up hospital beds that healthy and fit people could actually use if they were ever maimed or diseased. Sounds crazy right? That's because it is.

Covid protocols are the most politicized over-reaction in the history of man. Everyones lives that were extended by shutting down the country for 18 months got wiped out by a heat wave. More excess deaths in BC from 3 days of hot weather than during the biggest pandemic the world has ever seen! Strange. Canadians just love being told what to do. Critical thinking has evaded 99% of the population.

I'm double vaxxed with Pfizer so not even in your targeted 'free rider' group. Not because I'm scared of Covid. Risk of Vaccine injury and Covid injury are roughly the same due to my age and fitness. I got the shots because I know these assholes are going to require it to LIVE FREE. Pretty sick era we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back