All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see another rv with alberta plates I’m gonna lose my ****
Go for drive up to Grand Prairie tomorrow or maybe you should have been there today or any weekend. Go look at all the BC plates in the Costco parking lot, I bet you 25% of those plates are BC plates shoppers dodging the PST. Now how many of those people will travel throughout BC for the weekend and holidays. Or how about the 8 guys from our operation alone that live on the island and travel back and forth every week. We have guys from Sask, Alberta, BC all working together. My point is,, get off it, our provinces are tied so close together no such thing as your province my province and no traveling in between. Don’t go around licking door handles on vehicles and you will be ok.

Go for drive up to Grand Prairie tomorrow or maybe you should have been there today or any weekend. Go look at all the BC plates in the Costco parking lot, I bet you 25% of those plates are BC plates shoppers dodging the PST. Now how many of those people will travel throughout BC for the weekend and holidays. Or how about the 8 guys from our operation alone that live on the island and travel back and forth every week. We have guys from Sask, Alberta, BC all working together. My point is,, get off it, our provinces are tied so close together no such thing as your province my province and no traveling in between. Don’t go around licking door handles on vehicles and you will be ok.
I get what you are saying, and I agree but what’s with all these rv’s showing up this weekend on VI with alberta plates? I get work but for **** sakes.....stay in your health area people. Is that too much to ask? I usually stay out of this political rhetoric but it’s kinda pissing me off. Sorry if I offended and I’ll sign off from now on.

I get what you are saying, and I agree but what’s with all these rv’s showing up this weekend on VI with alberta plates? I get work but for **** sakes.....stay in your health area people. Is that too much to ask? I usually stay out of this political rhetoric but it’s kinda pissing me off. Sorry if I offended and I’ll sign off from now on.
I don’t think what you said is political it’s just a little unaware I guess one would call it. Just because those plates are AB doesn’t mean a whole lot. We work in the FSJ / Dawson Creek area that area along with the AB side , Grand Prairie, Hythe, Rycroft it’s a constant travel back and forth by both sides everyday all day. That area of your province has the lowest covid count yet they are in contact every day with Alberta people and vice versa. Your COVID count is the highest in the lower mainland where there is more than likely very little contact with people from outside the province. I would be more worried about those people than a few plates from out of province. Get my point ?

This whole nonsense about worrying about other provinces traveling between each other is just that, nonsense. There are more than enough cases in each and all the provinces where it’s beyond any of that making a difference. Its like throwing another turd in the **** pile and thinking it’s going to make it stink worse, like really is it going to make any difference.

Last edited:
I think what gnb is referring to is we are not supposed to be traveling for non essential reasons and traveling outside of your health region. So when you seen a bunch of plates from Alberta or ontario, quebec etc with rvs and boats etc they clearly dont care about the health recommendations. Ive seen lots of those plates on rvs on the island in the last couple weeks.

I didn't think it would have to be said but don't get medical advice from social media. Get it from your healthcare provider if you still have questions that aren't answered from our provincial health website. I'm sure people are well meaning but they may not have interpreted the facts correctly.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/dis...oring-vaccine-uptake-safety-and-effectiveness

Use of AstraZeneca and COVISHIELD vaccines in people under 55 years of age​

Earlier this month, some European countries stopped using the AstraZeneca vaccine while looking into a small number of reports of serious blood clots after vaccination. An analysis by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) concluded that the vaccine was not associated with an increase in the overall risk of blood clotting events. However, it acknowledged there may be a very rare risk of abnormal bleeding and clotting including a particular type of stroke.

These events are called vaccine-induced prothrombotic immune thrombocytopenia (VIPIT) and have happened primarily among women under the age of 55. There has been fewer than 30 cases identified around the world, primarily in Europe.

Overall, these blood clotting events are very rare, occurring in 1 to 10 in 1 million vaccine recipients, and none of these events have been reported in B.C. or Canada following vaccination. However, Health Canada and provincial health systems continue to monitor adverse events very closely.

B.C. and the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) recommend that the AstraZeneca and COVISHIELD vaccines be used in people over the age of 55 for the time being. B.C. has paused the use of these vaccines in younger populations until more information is available.

This change in recommendation shows how B.C. and Canada's vaccine safety monitoring system works. Officials continuously monitor safety reports and adverse events in Canada and around the world. Health Canada can take immediate action and withdraw a vaccine if there is concern of harm. It can also issue warnings about specific risks in order to inform individuals.

If you have already received a COVISHIELD vaccine and have questions about the signs and symptoms of VIPIT, please refer to Vaccination Aftercare.

You think a pile of bc residents are holidaying in alberta right now? If that’s the case....which I highly doubt.....then those British Columbians should be staying home also instead of being assholes
I doubt many are, my point was , one of the reasons we cringe when we see the alberta plates here are that their numbers were much higher than ours and now the reverse is most likely true and going to get much worse, the fact is no one should doing any non essential travel, but it will continue because it is not enforced at all, we are f'd in the short term here.

The real reason we cringe is that the media, all media, dramatizes small events. "If it bleeds it leads" is an age old media directive whether your looking for nickels or clicks. Keep that in mind and your blood pressure drops.

I see another rv with alberta plates I’m gonna lose my ****
I was at the gas station Friday and a dude from Alberta parades on in, ignores the 3 person in at one time limit with no mask and a big attitude. Demanding directions to wherever he was going. Took all three of us asking him to mask up before he finally pulled one out of his pocket and put it on. Snowflake was melting down the whole time. Guy at the counter gave him directions to an address about 25 minutes in the wrong direction.

CDC infection fatality rate for this age group is roughly 6000 fatalities per 1,000,000 infections, which yes is roughly 1 in 200. This data does not EXCLUDE extremely unhealthy people in this age group with comorbidities who are making up almost all of the fatalities. I would suggest that truly healthy people in this age bracket have a much lower IFR, even if infected. Data needs to be interpreted correctly if you're going to be basing your decisions from it.

Come on man. Look at Brazil, and the deaths. Italy and others. You probably have some underlying health issues you don't know about. So do a lot of us. It doesn't really matter if someone has medical problem. They still die from it. Healthy/unhealthy. I don't understand why it makes any difference separate out the data.

Not sure why you are still arguing this point.

"The AstraZeneca/COVISHEILD vaccine is also available to people between the ages of 55 and 65 on the Lower Mainland – B.C.’s highest transmission area."

Why would anyone take that vaccine with its issues with sometimes fatal platelet conditions? They may not be common, but the other vaccines have not shown such serious adverse events, and efficacy is lower than the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines.

Perspective: The type of blood clots this creates are extremely rare unto themselves. I know, simply because I am packing one. In my brain. It is damn near exactly in line with what the studies note are caused by this vaccine. Very rare even to develop these. So rare that without the vaccine, the best there is cannot identify what causes them. Treatment is lengthy, many do not survive. In my case it is obvious why the SawBones will not allow that one to be issued in my direction.

And while perhaps rare, I would not wish the last year of my situation on anyone. As a consequence I would forgive those who choose to avoid this type of vaccine in favor of one of the others...

Nog

My wife and I were lined to get the AZ shot in North Van on the first. We fall into the age bracket but I phoned and cancelled. To get there we were going walk on the ferry and catch a cab to London drugs and vice versa on the return trip because the ferries were booking up. The main reason we cancelled were too many variables. Being packed with passengers on the ferry and a cab ride were the driving factors and the reports on the AZ vaccine were secondary. Besides someone else may have needed it before us and were doing our best to dodge the virus.

After a vaccine shot your body is supposed to go into attack mode and create anti- bodies to fight off the infection...totally normal to feel like the early days of a flu for a day. I would be more concerned that your body didn’t have a reaction.

@searun you stated: “but the facts don't support your conclusion that Canada performed better than the US. Don't be influenced by the relative large numbers from the US as compared to Canada - our population base is significantly smaller. Doesn't excuse the ****** leadership - we will be paying for the economic consequences of this for generations.

Deaths per 100,000:

UK - 2.9%
US - 1.8%
Canada - 2.3%”

Not sure where you’re getting those percentages but, the UN stats for Covid deaths/M population are:

USA - 1711
UK - 1861
Can - 607

Thats triple the death rate, which means there are at least 50,0000 Canadians alive today due to Canada’s response to date. Could the vaccine roll out be faster and better delivered? I think most of us feel it could, absolutely. However, we were never going to compare to either the US or UK in the early days of roll out as multiple Canadian governments chose to let manufacturing capacity in Canada erode. I stand by my statmeant that, despite the slower than ideal vaccine roll out, Canadians continue to be kept a lot safer by our fed and prov gov’ts, despite their shortcomings, than either the US or UK (or a long list of other 1sr world nations) despite the relative rates of vaccination. Whether the aggressive variants, 3rd and 4th waves change that, remains to be seen.

Cheers!

Ukee

Come on man. Look at Brazil, and the deaths. Italy and others. You probably have some underlying health issues you don't know about. So do a lot of us. It doesn't really matter if someone has medical problem. They still die from it. Healthy/unhealthy. I don't understand why it makes any difference separate out the data.

Not sure why you are still arguing this point.

You don't think that people should consider the risk of something before they choose what to do? Are you discounting data as a tool to determine probability of an event happening? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. People lose on average more years of their life due to heart disease and obesity but there's no government in the world that makes exercise and eating healthy mandatory. If they are so concerned with extending lives this would be a good place to start. I'm arguing that the governments globally have stepped into an area where they have no business being, based on the data. Looking at deaths numbers in a vacuum is missing the big picture completely. It's not one or the other. There's no discourse happening because anyone who presents this side of the argument doesn't get any airtime in the media or are considered 'quacks.' I'm not sure why this is? It's a sad world where when I have to come on a fishing forum to get things off my chest, because if you do it publicly you can lose your job and be outcast from society. For a community begging the DFO to base management decisions on science and data, instead of blanket fishing closures, I find it ironic the support government garners for blanket lockdowns to covid 19.

This article presents a very thorough discussion. I think it's worth a read.

You don't think that people should consider the risk of something before they choose what to do? Are you discounting data as a tool to determine probability of an event happening? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. People lose on average more years of their life due to heart disease and obesity but there's no government in the world that makes exercise and eating healthy mandatory. If they are so concerned with extending lives this would be a good place to start. I'm arguing that the governments globally have stepped into an area where they have no business being, based on the data. Looking at deaths numbers in a vacuum is missing the big picture completely. It's not one or the other. There's no discourse happening because anyone who presents this side of the argument doesn't get any airtime in the media or are considered 'quacks.' I'm not sure why this is? It's a sad world where when I have to come on a fishing forum to get things off my chest, because if you do it publicly you can lose your job and be outcast from society. For a community begging the DFO to base management decisions on science and data, instead of blanket fishing closures, I find it ironic the support government garners for blanket lockdowns to covid 19.

Definitely a discussion but, so full of conjecture and supposition (plus a lot of cherry picking of old data from the midst of the first wave when so much was still emerging, rather than using latest numbers) it’s easy to “what if” after the fact when you don’t have to deal with the reality of the consequences of the approach. It also doesn’t really deal, at least not that I saw in my quick read, with what the fall out to mortality, health and economy would have been had governments allowed the virus to overwhelm healthcare capacity.

If this author feels the virus modelling caused wide-ranging fear and panic, what level of fear and panic would have occurred if hospitals were overwhelmed and the death toll, even if primarily the elderly and health compromised, started climbing exponentially? The States were nearing a boiling point this past fall with their political rift, social justice reckoning and Covid ... I think letting the Covid death toll play out, particularly given the disparity of its effect based on socio-economic standing and on many ethnicities, may have been the final straw to light that powder keg south of us. Then there would have been hind-sight opinion pieces written for decades about it!

Thanks for sharing the read, always good to consider all perspective.

Cheers!

As COVID-19 variants spread in B.C., concern grows for effects on younger adults​

Doctors in British Columbia are sounding the alarm about the effect new COVID-19 variants are having on younger people.

Evidence suggests the variants of concern are not only more contagious, but are also leading to more severe hospitalizations — particularly for younger adults.

“With the initial COVID the feeling was very much that while young people may get COVID they may not get all that sick, I think the variants have changed that … and I don’t know if people are realizing that,” Dr. Gerald Da Roza, head of medicine at Royal Columbian Hospital, told Global News.

@searun you stated: “but the facts don't support your conclusion that Canada performed better than the US. Don't be influenced by the relative large numbers from the US as compared to Canada - our population base is significantly smaller. Doesn't excuse the ****** leadership - we will be paying for the economic consequences of this for generations.

Deaths per 100,000:

UK - 2.9%
US - 1.8%
Canada - 2.3%”

Not sure where you’re getting those percentages but, the UN stats for Covid deaths/M population are:

USA - 1711
UK - 1861
Can - 607

Thats triple the death rate, which means there are at least 50,0000 Canadians alive today due to Canada’s response to date. Could the vaccine roll out be faster and better delivered? I think most of us feel it could, absolutely. However, we were never going to compare to either the US or UK in the early days of roll out as multiple Canadian governments chose to let manufacturing capacity in Canada erode. I stand by my statmeant that, despite the slower than ideal vaccine roll out, Canadians continue to be kept a lot safer by our fed and prov gov’ts, despite their shortcomings, than either the US or UK (or a long list of other 1sr world nations) despite the relative rates of vaccination. Whether the aggressive variants, 3rd and 4th waves change that, remains to be seen.

Cheers!

Ukee
The higher death rate has a lot to do with population density. We have 1/10th of their population with very similar land area.
obviously disease will spread more rapidly in New York City than in our little towns.

There is no comparing how badly our government let us down and continues to let us down compared to Trump/Biden.

I don't think it your place honestly by just your age group that is least risk to demand that certain members of society are technically below you in priority. Doesn't work that way.

That is my argument, and why I think this obsession of comorbidity is frankly useless to talk about. The people still died of it complication or not. My cousin would still be alive had he not contracted it.

Look at Brazil. Wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back