All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada clears Johnson & Johnson vaccine, first to approve 4​

"Canada is getting a fourth vaccine to prevent COVID-19 as the country's health regulator has cleared a Johnson & Johnson shot that works with just one dose instead of two, officials said Friday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada has an agreement with Johnson & Johnson for 10 million doses between now and September. It was not immediately clear when Canada would get its first shipment."

From the CTV of all sources?

Mistakes were made, many of them, as 1st year of COVID-19 under Trudeau management ends​

Mistakes were made. Many of them. Some emergency relief measures worked, procurement orders were placed but unreliably delivered while delays in implementing anti-viral medical protocols turned deadly.

EvvsWy_XIAQmRrg

EvvxCR8XYAcE1OI

Good news! Hopefully, we can all be a bit more optimistic moving into the summer. Get some shots in arms and get the daily new case numbers/people hospitalized down!

Here's how everyone in B.C. could get a vaccine shot by Canada Day​

Mar 06, 2021
The B.C. government's vaccine page still says the rollout of first doses for all people in the province won't be finished until September.

But in the past week, a number of things have changed to quickly accelerate that timeline.

"I'm very very hopeful that come summer we will have met our objectives," said Premier John Horgan on Friday.
Horgan's comments came the same week Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said everyone in the province could receive a first shot by early July, or even late June.

The B.C. government says an updated rollout plan to help people understand those claims is coming. In the meantime, here's a look at why those timelines are feasible — and what could happen to scuttle them.

How we get to 4 million​

Three things happened this week to allow B.C.'s timeline for first doses to go from the end of September to the beginning of July.

The first was the decision to extend the maximum amount of time between giving the first and second dose of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines from six weeks to four months.

The other two events took place on Friday: the approval by Health Canada of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and an additional 3.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine in the next three months.

What does all that mean?

There are around 3.8 million British Columbians who are eligible for the vaccine but have yet to receive a shot. Between March and the end of June, Canada has been promised approximately 30.5 million vaccine doses from Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca.

The federal government is distributing vaccines according to population, and approximately 13.22 per cent of the country lives in B.C. Do the math, and that adds up to just over four million doses coming to the province by the end of June.

That's enough to give a first dose to every adult in the province who can receive it, and complete the second dose for the approximately 200,000 who have only received one so far. And in theory, it would allow new supply from July onwards to be reserved for second doses.

EvwVAvLU8AA2prm

What could go wrong?​

It's an estimate, relying on companies providing the amount of vaccine promised to Canada at promised schedules.

And it's contingent on the B.C. government creating an operation that will have the capacity to vaccinate more than 50,000 people a day at its peak.

"In April … we'll have a lot more information on whether we're able to vaccinate the 10,000 to 20,000 a day first, and then scale it up rapidly to a much higher number. This is no mean feat," said Mahesh Nagarajan, a professor of operations and logistics at UBC's Sauder School of Business.

"Clarity on the hiring plan, the location plan, the processes that are going to happen, the call centre plan, the IT plan … those are the things we're waiting to see."

At the same time, the available supply doesn't factor in the amount that could be provided by Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca in the coming months, beyond the 500,000 or so doses of AstraZeneca provided this week. Those doses could accelerate the timeline further, or give contingencies in case there are delays to Pfizer or Moderna supplies.

They're all reasons why Health Minister Adrian Dix hasn't yet committed to a new target date, saying the government has been working on new timelines given the new information this week.

"We're hopeful that we could get everyone who wants their first dose by July, and maybe that time can move up now that we've seen more vaccines," Dix said.

And he cautioned that in the meantime, the province continues to see a rise in transmission.

"Things will get better in the summer, but right now people absolutely have to follow the rules."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ld-get-a-vaccine-shot-by-canada-day-1.5939602

I follow this fella on twitter and he has come up with good way to track our vaccination rollout that makes sense to me.
https://twitter.com/bcshaffer

The upward trend continues. Project the most recent 7-day trend has Canada conservatively (because the linear trend is likely to increase) beating its original 8% target by end-March.
EvwU5ZRVgAEl0UF

Now the plan has shifted, with provinces targeting end-June for all adults able to get at least one dose (note: 70-80% of all Cdns is 85-100% of all adults). Really highlights how the pace of doses is going to (needs to) change

EvwVP8iVcAYKHwq

Will see how it goes
GLG

I feel like there is a lot of optimism with people these days. The days are getting longer. People can start to feel the chance of spending a summer around friends and family.

I think with the additional brands of vaccines coming out plus the potential opportunity of us getting USA leftovers after they all get their doses, we should get through this!

‘When will it end?’: New data suggests COVID-19 could become endemic​

"Chris Murray, a University of Washington disease expert whose projections on COVID-19 infections and deaths are closely followed worldwide, is changing his assumptions about the course of the pandemic.

Murray had until recently been hopeful that the discovery of several effective vaccines could help countries achieve herd immunity, or nearly eliminate transmission through a combination of inoculation and previous infection.

But in the last month, data from a vaccine trial in South Africa showed not only that a rapidly-spreading coronavirus variant could dampen the effect of the vaccine, it could also evade natural immunity in people who had been previously infected.

Many described how the breakthrough late last year of two vaccines with around 95% efficacy against COVID-19 had initially sparked hope that the virus could be largely contained, similar to the way measles has been.

But, they say, data in recent weeks on new variants from South Africa and Brazil has undercut that optimism. They now believe that SARS-CoV-2 will not only remain with us as an endemic virus, continuing to circulate in communities, but will likely cause a significant burden of illness and death for years to come."

‘When will it end?’: New data suggests COVID-19 could become endemic​

"Chris Murray, a University of Washington disease expert whose projections on COVID-19 infections and deaths are closely followed worldwide, is changing his assumptions about the course of the pandemic.

Murray had until recently been hopeful that the discovery of several effective vaccines could help countries achieve herd immunity, or nearly eliminate transmission through a combination of inoculation and previous infection.

But in the last month, data from a vaccine trial in South Africa showed not only that a rapidly-spreading coronavirus variant could dampen the effect of the vaccine, it could also evade natural immunity in people who had been previously infected.

Many described how the breakthrough late last year of two vaccines with around 95% efficacy against COVID-19 had initially sparked hope that the virus could be largely contained, similar to the way measles has been.

But, they say, data in recent weeks on new variants from South Africa and Brazil has undercut that optimism. They now believe that SARS-CoV-2 will not only remain with us as an endemic virus, continuing to circulate in communities, but will likely cause a significant burden of illness and death for years to come."

Well looks like we will need to focus on developing treatments. We also need to make sure people are physically healthy (tough task).

Vaccine call centres open on Monday, March 8, 2021 for seniors born in 1931 or earlier (90+) and Indigenous people born in 1956 or earlier (65+) Here's what you need to know:

PFEfS90B

Vaccine call centres for seniors open March 8, 2021. You can book a vaccine appointment for yourself or your spouse. You can also have a family member or friend call for you. It's easy and safe to book over the phone.

When you can call is based on your age​

I'm born in 1931 or earlier (90+) or I'm Indigenous and born in 1956 or earlier (65+)​

Please call the week of March 8.

I'm born in 1936 or earlier (85+)​

Please call the week of March 15.

I'm born in 1941 or earlier (80+)​

Please call the week of March 22.

Get ready to call​

When you call your health authority, you'll be asked for:
  • First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Postal code
  • Personal Health Number
You can find your Personal Health Number on the back of your B.C. driver's licence, BC Services Card or CareCard. If you do not have a Personal Health Number, you can still receive the vaccine.
We'll also ask you for contact information:
  • An email address that gets checked regularly
    or
  • A phone number that can receive text messages
We will never ask you for your SIN, driver's licence number or banking and credit card details.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/seniors

Lists of immunization clinics by Health Authority are now online:

Northern: https://northernhealth.ca/health-topics/covid-19-vaccine-plan#nh-resources…

Fraser: http://fraserhealth.ca/vaccineclinic

Vancouver Coastal: http://vch.ca/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine…

Island: https://covid19.islandclinics.ca

Interior: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/covid-19-vaccines/

PMO scrambled to contain controversy over pandemic early-warning system, internal e-mails show​

Internal e-mails show the Prime Minister’s Office was scrambling last summer to contain the fallout over the silencing of Canada’s pandemic early-warning system after learning it was curtailed less than a year before COVID-19 struck.

Doesn't add up. I am deemed essential but work in an office. No one has come looking for me to jab.
Dude tell me about it. I wanted to slap him when I found out. Meanwhile my mom who's 64 and has diabetes and cancer doesn't get one because she works from home. **** this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back