Alberta Hunting Fall 09

IronNoggin

Finally got the photo package installed to this new PC - bit of a rough go for one as challenged as I am at that sort of thing! [xx(]

So, here's a bit of a summary of how fall went this year in Alberta:

First up was an American, who coincidentally happens to be my Pa! Gotta love it when I can Guide someone I would have been there regardless with! And what a hell of a time we had!

Launching the jet rig was interesting. Had to borrow a rancher's truck to get her backed out damn near half-way across the river to get her off the trailer! Hell of a machine! 502 Kodiak Racing engine delivering more ponies than you'd ever need, and a top end of near 80... MILES</u> an hour that is! :D

Launch.jpg

Then a quick run to get Camp set up. Home for the next 4 days. Excellent spot, we saw several decent bucks right off the front door!

Camp.jpg

The South Saskatchewan River is a Magical Place! Quite different from anything we have in BC. Remote in that there are pretty well no roads into the area we hunted, and in fact, we didn't see another hunter the whole hunt! Beautiful, breathtaking vistas, and chock full of both HUGE Mule Deer and Whitetails!

The_River_Breaks.jpg

The next few days were spent split between running the river in the jet, and climbing to various vantage points to look at the excellent scenery, and of course the animals it harbored:

River_Running.jpg

And harbor it did! In the course of the first two days, we counted 66 bucks, and a full seven of those were judged to be "Book" quality or better. My Pa, now 74, has hunted a LOT of mulies in his time. At the end of the hunt, he shook my outfitter's hand and noted that he had seen more "Quality" bucks in those 3 days than he had seen in his entire hunting career. Not tough to believe! That area now ranks amongst the Very Best in North America for seeing/taking large, Trophy Quality Mule Deer! It now matches and at times exceeds both Colorado and Utah for this prestigious position!

More to come...

Dad, in his eternal "fussiness" passed up many excellent bucks, and when he did decide to take one, it was actually somewhat smaller than 4 or 5 of the Biggies we had gotten close to! But, even with that said, it is damn tough to suggest the one he did take to be anything but ranking right up there amongst the "Large" Almost 400 pounds on the hoof, and one hell of a large and interesting rack!

Dads_2009_Mulie.jpg

Dad_2009_Mulie.jpg

When all was said and done, we wandered back to a Buddy's ranch, and spent a day running the hunt over in our conversations. As Pa shook my outfitter's hand, he noted: I'll be back next year, same time, same place. I do hope you both will be there with me! aYup! That we will my Best Hunting Partner! That we will!

Pa and I then wandered up to Calgary to visit Ma and my Sis. After a fine visit, the folks departed the day following, and I was off to chase whitetails...

The tale continues

I stopped at a Buddy's just North of Calgary for a couple of days, and although we saw nearly a dozen whitetail bucks, none were of the size to interest me (seem to have inherited some of that "fussiness" myself [^] ). So, wandering North again, I landed on another Friend's doorstep, one I hadn't seen in well over a decade! We had an excellent time catching up, and of course checking out the local deer populations. Again, we saw many decent bucks, as well as elk and moose. But again, I was overly fussy, and as my time to get back to the guiding gig was fast approaching, I set out to our zones North and West of Edmonton.

A few days scouting suggested that there were some rather good ones about, and but a few days later, I met my Hunters for this area. Both American, and both Great Guys. One a repeat offender, and the other his buddy up for his first look.

Long story short, they both limited within days. The new gun took a whitetail and a mule deer (650 yard heart shot on the latter!) and although I personally didn't think them overly large, he was happier than a clam! Both the first muley he had ever seen, the longest shot he had ever made, and the largest whitetail he had ever drawn down on! Booked again, bringing a Buddy next fall. Guess that's a measure of success! :D

The other took a nice large Whitetail. It would have made "Book" except for a split brow tine. I wouldn't have hesitated!! And he was one HAPPY Man! He too booked for next fall, so I suspect we will be hunting together once again.
The largest of the season unfortunately came to the truck. He jumped out of the ditch just as we were passing, and slammed head on into the ol' Chev. Killed the deer, and killed the truck. Rad punctured through and the tine actually penetrated the block! Spewing oil and antifreeze all over, it was a good thing one of the other guides was close to tow us in! Even with the broken tine, that particular deer would make book had he been taken by a hunter! Really tells the story of what lurks in those woods! :)

A few pix:

The Mule deer in that area are not nearly as large as in southern Alberta, but a couple of decent ones came down:

Mulies_1.jpg

The trio of whitetails that ended up on the meat pole. The "truck deer' is center, and the 'almost book" is on the right:

Whitetails.jpg

A closer look at the "almost deer" with one of the area's better guides:

Almost_Book.jpg

Then, after running our guests back to the airport, it was time for some personal fun. We spent several days checking the deer out, and I saw over 85 bucks through that period. Only fired once, and missed dammit</u>. Long story, another time, but suffice it to say that one was better than any in the pictures, and I proved that even a well experienced hand can still be rattled by a Monster! [V]

Finally, my Buddy from Ukee made it, and he collected a fine buck on the second last day. No pix unfortunately, as the camera battery packed it in, and of course I had forgotten the charger :(

Came home with a smile over the hunting, tears over my old dog who passed while I was away, and a new wolf pup in tow. All in all, the time afield was excellent, and I am VERY much looking forward to next year's FUN! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Great story Nog! They sure grow'em big there eh.
Thanks for taking the time to post what is always an entertaining read from you.

Sorry to hear about your pooch.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Great pics of some very different country, that one Deer looks as big as an Elk!

Thanks for posting!

billreidsalmon.jpg

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

I stopped at a Buddy's just North of Calgary for a couple of days, and although we saw nearly a dozen whitetail bucks, none were of the size to interest me (seem to have inherited some of that "fussiness" myself [^] ). So, wandering North again, I landed on another Friend's doorstep, one I hadn't seen in well over a decade! We had an excellent time catching up, and of course checking out the local deer populations. Again, we saw many decent bucks, as well as elk and moose. But again, I was overly fussy, and as my time to get back to the guiding gig was fast approaching, I set out to our zones North and West of Edmonton.

A few days scouting suggested that there were some rather good ones about, and but a few days later, I met my Hunters for this area. Both American, and both Great Guys. One a repeat offender, and the other his buddy up for his first look.

Long story short, they both limited within days. The new gun took a whitetail and a mule deer (650 yard heart shot on the latter!) and although I personally didn't think them overly large, he was happier than a clam! Both the first muley he had ever seen, the longest shot he had ever made, and the largest whitetail he had ever drawn down on! Booked again, bringing a Buddy next fall. Guess that's a measure of success! :D

The other took a nice large Whitetail. It would have made "Book" except for a split brow tine. I wouldn't have hesitated!! And he was one HAPPY Man! He too booked for next fall, so I suspect we will be hunting together once again.
The largest of the season unfortunately came to the truck. He jumped out of the ditch just as we were passing, and slammed head on into the ol' Chev. Killed the deer, and killed the truck. Rad punctured through and the tine actually penetrated the block! Spewing oil and antifreeze all over, it was a good thing one of the other guides was close to tow us in! Even with the broken tine, that particular deer would make book had he been taken by a hunter! Really tells the story of what lurks in those woods! :)

A few pix:

The Mule deer in that area are not nearly as large as in southern Alberta, but a couple of decent ones came down:

Mulies_1.jpg

The trio of whitetails that ended up on the meat pole. The "truck deer' is center, and the 'almost book" is on the right:

Whitetails.jpg

A closer look at the "almost deer" with one of the area's better guides:

Almost_Book.jpg

Then, after running our guests back to the airport, it was time for some personal fun. We spent several days checking the deer out, and I saw over 85 bucks through that period. Only fired once, and missed dammit</u>. Long story, another time, but suffice it to say that one was better than any in the pictures, and I proved that even a well experienced hand can still be rattled by a Monster! [V]

Finally, my Buddy from Ukee made it, and he collected a fine buck on the second last day. No pix unfortunately, as the camera battery packed it in, and of course I had forgotten the charger :(

Came home with a smile over the hunting, tears over my old dog who passed while I was away, and a new wolf pup in tow. All in all, the time afield was excellent, and I am VERY much looking forward to next year's FUN! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Great report, Nog. Looking at the pic with the 3 deer, i must say i've never seen anyone posing in those type of pics wearing a tie [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy
Great report, Nog. Looking at the pic with the 3 deer, i must say i've never seen anyone posing in those type of pics wearing a tie [:0]

LOL! That was one of the neighbors who came over to gawk at the carnage. Although he has never hunted before, he became instantly convinced, and is contemplating a hunt with us next year. Kinda thought it added a little "something" to the pix. You're the first to pick it out ;)

And yeah, they do grow them LARGE over there! The Muley was MASSIVE, and was damn tough to drag down the hill and drape over the bow of the jet boat!

And although 2 of the 3 whitetails are pretty fine, it only makes the HURT worse realizing just how big the one I missed was! He would have CRUSHED either! Oh well, next year is coming... just not quite fast enough! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Nice bucks! I see the bumper muley is dressed. Did you butch him? Sorry to hear about the dog aswell. We lost both ours just 4 days apart [xx(]

Just awesome! I just got this from Danny in NZ... Safari time??!!!
dannyspig.jpg
[/img]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cool pics Matt thanks looks like alot of fun as well I know what you mean by missing the big one my buddy missed a buck of a lifetime this year at 410 yds away he took 3 shots and missed it completlly (buck fever) I was the spotter and ranger as I was done.

We walked in to a draw which was on top looking in coulie and buck brush really think stuff were we were seeing muley after muley it was getting boring LOL then this WT doe walked out and then the buck told my buddy hold on think its another muley as it was sooooo big then NOPE there he stood broadside with no clue we were there it was the biggest one yet ive seen back there. trust me ill be going back next year myself just for him ......shiak happens

sorry about your dog

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by C.S.
"650 yard heart shot" what gun ya shooting Matt?

HiYa CS :)

Kind of a funny story on that one...
The client had the pleasure to be accompanied his first day by his guide (me) and my buddy who is our Outfitter. We rolled into an area we had been watching for some time, and knew there were two "shooter" muley bucks there. We had planned to put the man in a tree stand that overlooked the main route the deer were using. But, as soon as we rolled into the field, we saw several deer working the timber line all away across the quarter section. Stopping, the Outfitter said Call the deer Matt. Up go the 20 by 65's, and I immediately see one is a decent buck with a rather wide frame. So, I said The buck has a wide frame for this area, methinks it will be tough to find one wider. Tough to call the points, but I do see 4 on the side facing us - other side is obscured by the brush behind him...
The call? sez he? SHOOT sez I.

You GOTTA be kidding me the client stammers. That's waaay to far. Your guide told you to shoot my friend, get on with it.

So, he hops out, gets a good prone position, and fires with his own 300 Weatherby Mag. High I call, drop it down. Bang. High again, DROP IT DOWN, you're shooting over top of him! Bang. Again high, and rifle now empty (Weatherby's only hold 3 in the magazine).

Throw that rifle in the dirt the Outfitter cried.
WHAT?? stammers the client.
Ummm... I meant gently hand me your rifle, take mine, aim a few inches into fur above the heart and let fly!
The client does as suggested, takes careful aim, and POW!
I couldn't tell where that one hit, and suggested he should likely shoot again. The whole time the deer were looking back into the bush behind them, as apparently they were hearing the high flung lead smacking into the timber, and believed that was where the threat was coming from. The buck actually paid NO attention, focused of course on the Lady Of the Hour in front of him.
Before the client could fire again, the buck staggered. Wait, hold that shot...
And... DOWN for the count!
Where did you hit him I inquired. Middle of the chest I believe said he. Upon inspection as I was cleaning the critter, we found the heart was cut right in half! SWEET! :D

Comment from the client shortly thereafter was: I KNOW why you Ladz had me shoot! You absolutely didn't think I could make that shot (the longest of his life!) A little snickering between me and my Partner, because what he said was close.

Ahhhh... But... The rifle he was handed was a Custom built 264 Magnum with a 30 inch barrel, chronographed nearing 4 grand, and sighted in for 500 yards point of impact. That set-up is DEADLY, and it did a fine job on the client's whitetail a day or two later. The Outfitter is well known for his amazing shooting ability, and has taken game out to 750 yards with that particular rifle.

I wouldn't generally condone such a lengthy shot, but there was good tracking snow, the animal was stationary, and the rifle more than capable. Turned out the American was too, once properly armed that is ;)

First mule deer buck the fellow had ever seen, and he tagged him! That fellow is already booked for next fall, and bringing along a Buddy (after the buddy passes "inspection" by our team that is. We are rather fussy about who goes out with us). Win - Win all round!

I am so impressed by that caliber that I am now searching for one for myself. They are not produced any more, and I certainly can't afford the "custom" route. So, I'm hoping to dig a long forgotten one out of someone's closet!

Cheers,
Nog

Used to shoot a .300 win mag, With a "Sniper Plus" custon barrel, for a few years, Zero at 500 yds. It was impressive the kind of pattern you can get with the 30 inch barrel. I was shooting 4 litre milk jugs painted orange at 600 yds! took my longest bull moose with my .308 though, 642 yds, One shot (Heart) I love long distance shooting. There is somthing to be said about being able to reach out and touch them at a distance :D

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

...There is something to be said about being able to reach out and touch them at a distance :D

aYup! [^]

A couple of years ago, I missed a rather large mule deer with my 300 Weatherby - basically point blank at about 125 yards. Fired 3 times without clipping a hair? [xx(]

The rifle HAD performed fine at the range a week before, but when we checked it that afternoon, it wouldn't touch paper at 50 yards! EEK!

Took her in to the Gunny, and he quickly determined that all those years of hot-loading finally had a price - barrel was shot out from the freebore forward - as in toast.

A couple of calls to a Buddy in Belgium, and a suitable piece of cold rolled was shortly found, at just over $1K US. Shipping was pricey, so was turning of the barrel, fitting and the re-blue job. Final tally neared $ 2.5K for the effort.

But...

Today that rifle is more accurate than it was when I first acquired her! Out of the lead sled, she's tossing 180's at 3,200 into a group slightly less than 2 inches... at 300 YARDS</u>! SWEET! :D

Tagged coyotes with her this year out to 750, she now is the TRUE definition of "reach out and touch someone".

Unfortunately didn't help all that much when The Monster presented himself at 200 this fall. Not the rifle's fault, guess it's owner has to re-learn nerve control when facing down the Buck Of A Lifetime! [:eek:)]

Cheers,
Nog

Beautiful country it is Iron... How far east of the 41 Hwy were you guys to get away from all the hunters ???

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Very nice, Matt. Beautiful country there. Looks very "wild."
Sorry to hear about your dog. They are family.

bug.gif

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Good one RR!

First I tried to wipe'em off my screen. Then I thought, "Oh great, the little pecker is inside my computer and I'll have to take it apart to get em'..."

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

:D

bug.gif

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Back