Alberni Inlet springs

I understand that you don't see or understand what I am saying. You can be right, if you say so, and so can I.

I completely understand what you are alluding to. Just need a little "something" beyond "I said so" to nudge me over the edge of "belief" is all...

Cheers,
Nog

I'd like to offer "Lollypop" a Public Apology for the comments I directed towards him in this Thread.
I was (am) very upset over the matter at hand, and unfortunately allowed that to spill over into my my postings towards him.
That is simply not an excuse for rude behavior, and I want all to know I am remorseful I allowed that to happen.

I have done a little digging since that exchange, and now have reason to believe that the FN's were "stockpiling" catch prior to the opening. Nothing I can "hang my hat on" in the way of bringing charges, but something I now do believe did actually occur. And, I have reason to believe DFO is/was aware of the situation. Thanks to Lollypop for bring this to our attention.

DFO and those that participated in the fishery NEED to be brought to task for what happened. Although that is obvious to most, I will be surprised should anything even remotely approaching "Accountability" be forthcoming.

It is now basically up to us, the sport anglers, to try and keep our impact down to a dull roar. Just because DFO leaves the season open does not mean we should be out there targeting on the stragglers of this run IMHO. I hope others feel the same.

Again Lollypop, I do Apologize for my behavior. It was rude of me to "shoot the messenger". Something I already knew, and sincerely wish I hadn't.

Regards,
Matt

No worries Matt, we will eventually get to the bottom of what took place. I do think we should avoid finger pointing, that will not solve anything. I do however, believe in holding people accountable for their actions, or in this case inactions. And yes there are others who think the same about making sure we do the right thing to protect the future of our fishery. Even if that means we have to come up with some $$$ to fund ways to improve the chinook production at the hatchery.

No worries Matt, we will eventually get to the bottom of what took place. I do think we should avoid finger pointing, that will not solve anything. I do however, believe in holding people accountable for their actions, or in this case inactions.

One can hope.

And yes there are others who think the same about making sure we do the right thing to protect the future of our fishery. Even if that means we have to come up with some $$$ to fund ways to improve the chinook production at the hatchery.

Extra funding simply cannot alleviate the "bottleneck" at the hatchery regarding rearing. Robertson Creek's production has slid from twelve, then ten, then eight and now six million eggs. DFO points to "ocean survival" as THE Limiting Factor, however even if they did see the light and determine more eggs in production could offset the diminishing runs, they physically cannot accommodate that at Robertson Creek. The water supply to the hatchery is NOT connected to the new saddle dam, this precludes any more than the 6 million as there is simply insufficient water to do so.

There are possible alternatives:
- estuary net-penning (higher survival)
- closing terminal holding areas to all fishing
- possibly enhancing some of the other creeks in the upper Inlet that historically had chinook in their lower reaches
- etc.
DFO however will not do this. Thus if anything along those lines is to become possible, it is up to us.

I TRULY hope there "are others who think the same about making sure we do the right thing to protect the future of our fishery". However when I hear that some guides are now amping up advertising that the rains have hit and these fish should be moving (Rambling Fisherman) in order to encourage potential clients to "get in on it" I have to wonder...

Nog

The local rag is today touting the FN fishery as a "success" and the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern quoted by DFO south coast director Andrew Thompson.

DFO in Contingency Mode, and apparently the media buys right in...
rolleyes.png

The local rag is today touting the FN fishery as a "success" and the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern quoted by DFO south coast director Andrew Thompson.

rolleyes.png

Next will be an upgrade to the run size.

Prime example how media can be used to spin the facts. Seems we have to learn a lot still. Time to let Mr. Thompson reveal some actual numbers. Numbers won't lie.

Tseshaht First Nation and Hupacasath First Nation caught an estimated 9,400 chinook salmon during a limited fishery opening last Tuesday in the harbour and in the Somass River.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada opened the chinook fishery for two hours for a small number of fish to be harvested. However, DFO South Coast area director Andrew Thomson said that the high number of fish caught might indicate there is more fish in the river than what DFO originally thought.

"For the chinook salmon, we do a pre-season forecast but we don't do an in-season forecast," he said. He added that the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern.

Both TFN and HFN chief councillors said the fishery was very successful.

"It's fabulous for Port Alberni," said HFN chief councillor Steven Tatoosh. "All our kids will have clothes for school."

He added that five or six buyers were on boats and that the fish went basically straight from the nets to the buyers.

Fish were sold for $1.50 per 0.45 kilogram. While this year's price is a little lower than last year, Tatoosh said it's just the way the market is right now.

Meanwhile, TFN chief councillor Hugh Braker said the fish caught on average were 30-pound salmon.

He estimated that the salmon harvest brought in between $200,000 and $300,000. He added that China snapped a large volume of the salmon.

After the harvest was over, Braker ran an informal poll among the TFN fishermen. He said that 70 to 75% of the money would be spent in the Alberni Valley. Fishermen intended to use their gains to pay for retail, entertainment, restaurants and services.

"It's a huge boost for the local economy," he said.

DFO is currently evaluating whether or not First Nations will be allowed to hold a coho salmon fishery later in the fall.

"DFO is assessing the current coho salmon population and should reach a decision within a week," Thomson said.

If there is a coho salmon fishery, Braker said it would not bring in as good of a price, since he expects the run won't be as big.

" We want to hear from you. Send comments on this story to news@avtimes.net. Letters must include daytime phone number and hometown.

JBertrand@avtimes.net

Holy f**k does this "report" thread ever put an exclamation mark on the sad state of affairs with our sportfishery.

Tseshaht First Nation and Hupacasath First Nation caught an estimated 9,400 chinook salmon during a limited fishery opening last Tuesday in the harbour and in the Somass River.
"For the chinook salmon, we do a pre-season forecast but we don't do an in-season forecast," he said. He added that the higher than expected number of salmon caught is not a conservation concern.

He added that five or six buyers were on boats and that the fish went basically straight from the nets to the buyers.

Fish were sold for $1.50 per 0.45 kilogram. While this year's price is a little lower than last year, Tatoosh said it's just the way the market is right now.

Meanwhile, TFN chief councillor Hugh Braker said the fish caught on average were 30-pound salmon.

He estimated that the salmon harvest brought in between $200,000 and $300,000. He added that China snapped a large volume of the salmon.
Just curious how 9700 pieces at 30 lbs and $1.5 per pound = $200,000 - 300,000. My "normal" math makes the total $436,500.00 Surely he isn't suggesting his operational costs were $200,000????? How much fuel can one use going from the marina to the mouth of the river????

I guess when you're native you can spin anything and make silk with it. ;-)

Could it be that the females were $1.50 lb. for roe and the males were 15 cents lb. for pet food.
Those numbers add up.

rolleyes.png

DFO in damage control...get the first press release out.
Who is going to bat for the fish?

I thought the local SFAC would do something, step up to the plate and ask questions what is up with that ????

A couple of us sending emails does sh*t as learned from previous experience.

Back