Alberni Inlet springs

What would be wrong with the buyers having to hold off until the hatcheries have reached their targets? It would be some what easier to police or am I way out to lunch on this?

Thanks Nog, very unfortunate you are not able to attend. We hope and anticipate being able to get objective data out on the table along with potential options to consider...and certainly to also figure out what might be able to be done to maximize the few fish we do have. Who knows, there may be some things like net pens that we could explore to get better fry to adult survival. Trying to stay focused on finding positive solutions rather than getting caught up in the rhetoric. Also agree there should be some accountability on the fish buyers, they should be fined heavily for buying in excess of known quota. Working out details of the meeting agenda, guest speakers etc and as soon as that is nailed down will post further detail.

While I Applaud and indeed Admire your Optimism there searun, I ain't quite buying in to the "Everything's Ducky" line quite yet.
The noted escapement of chinook adults (14498) is still basically 10 Thousand SHY of meeting the Egg Target Requirements for this system. And while the hatchery personnel note they are "holding enough chinook for our egg targets.", we both recognize that number represents the bare minimum to meet those egg targets. Egg targets btw that have been subject to reduction after reduction over the past decade.

I have been up to the hatchery, and seen the holding springs. While they may have enough to meet today's greatly reduced standard, the fish overall are very much on the "small" size, and the holding tanks look damn near empty compared to a "decent" year. The numbers that were holding out side of the fence were the lowest I have ever seen - the Lagoon was damn near empty, and that trend continues up and down the system on the various spawning reaches. I walked a great many of these, and in areas that you usually can not even see the river bed due to the numbers of spawning springs, there are but a handful at each site.

What happened this year was a Travesty. However I STRONGLY Agree that we MUST "determine what needs to be done to ensure we do not have a repeat over harvest situation." I sense there will be No Accountability from either The Dino nor those who participated in the commercial fishery that wantonly slaughtered exponentially more than their allotment. As difficult as it is to me to accept that, IF we actually do manage to instill a system of checks and balances that will prevent future over-harvests (especially of such Magnitude!) then just perhaps something somewhat beneficial may come from the whole Fiasco. While I strongly support such targeted action, given the history here, I won't be holding my breath...

I would have loved to be front and center at the upcoming Open House in November, but with an active Moose LEH and some serious long-term plans in the works for that particular timing, I won't be able to. I do wish you and the others who attend All The Best in working towards prevention of the long established "routine" of over harvests on our salmon stocks here.

To that end, I'd like to suggest a couple of points that should be considered for doing so:
- LIMIT the Number of Participants in any and all local fisheries;
- LIMIT the Areas they can operate in;
- LIMIT the Time they are allowed to fish;
- ENFORCE the Regulations regarding pre-opening Poaching;
- Monitor & ENFORCE the Harvest Limits as established;
- Impose Serious Fines and Equipment Seizures for those who choose to act outside of these confines.

None of that is Rocket Science. All of it can be attained, and should already have been in place had DFO been paying anything more than Lip Service to their job.

Again, Best Of Luck with moving forward. I can't help but think you (and the resource) are going to need it...

Cheers,
Nog

Very well said Matt
I can't hold back saying I have seen year after year those stocks overfished beyond DFO's own 'required escapement numbers'
The fish and Searun are going to need all the luck they can get.

Trying to stay focused on finding positive solutions rather than getting caught up in the rhetoric. Also agree there should be some accountability on the fish buyers, they should be fined heavily for buying in excess of known quota.

Been quiet too long. Matt I applaud you for saying what needs to be said.

Pat I agree fully that the point of your meeting should be to look ahead at ways of salvage and prevention. I also wonder if it may be the place?? to ask some tough questions about what is being done regarding accountability.

It matters not weather we get enough or even more fish returning than we need. They still POACHED many times the amount of fish that they were allowed.

Fish buyers are only one part of it. They may be the smallest part in fact. The FN folks would have taken the same amount of fish whether the buyers had stopped at the quota or not. One only has to look at how many dead sockeye hit the ditch every year from them .Everyone involved in that fishery should be facing criminal charges.

First and foremost every Band members that was a part of it. Yes the buyers,as well as those whose job it was to manage and oversee it. I don't care who they are and I am certainly sick and tired of hearing how the entire FN situation is a touchy subject. I call BS on the whole friggen thing. We all know this kind of thing takes place every year in one form or another with that band. If not in the public eye during a DFO sanctioned opening it is the behind the scenes wen know one is looking poaching that takes place .

I also feel as dose many others that until those poachers are held criminally accountable for there actions, they will continue to do it. It may not be as open and public next time but it will happen ,just as it has for as many years as anyone of us can remember. It is time the people in charge quit turning a blind eye and do what they are payed to do. God knows if they stopped one of us with so much as an un-clipped HO from the wrong place they would pull the book out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, trying to stay focused on finding positive solutions. Even when it comes to dealing with overfishing issue, there is a way forward through the Harvest Round Table process.

Like I said, trying to stay focused on finding positive solutions. Even when it comes to dealing with overfishing issue, there is a way forward through the Harvest Round Table process.

And I applaud you as well for doing so. It takes dedicated people to make change. I understand that fully and appreciate the efforts made by all of you that donate the time and effort.

I also feel very strongly that holding those involved accountable through charges would be an equally positive a step. This was not an accident and needs to be acknowledged.

In rereading this thread, there has been a lot of mention or comparison that of if it were commercial fisherman going over quota that they would be charged. Not so in this area fishery because they are not involved in the individual quota system. For instance the commercial sector went way over last year. Nothing happened, no charges and no fish taken away. The fisherman sold their entire catch to local buyers.

The same basic rules are in place for the fn commercial opening, hence the reason nothing was done to obstruct the sale of their catch. Having commercial fishing opportunities is not the issue here. Neither is having food fish opportunities. The main issue is separating the two so as they are used as intended and not abused in such a way that it was intentionally done here in this case.

The fish that were purchased by a local buyer were up to one week old. Essentially food fish being sold under the guise of a planned commercial opening. The China buyer scenario is a myth, a story at best. More than 7000 fish captured in a short two hour opening by little boats that are required to be under 24ft. Most being under 16 feet, if the average size of the fish was say 15lbs that would yield approx 105000 pounds of salmon to move in a short period of time. Many commercial fisherman have stated that based on the style of boats that the fn used in this short opening, it is not possible to set a net, pick the net and deliver within the time frame that the fn was granted.

The main issue is that it is an in river fishery. Commercial fishing should not be allowed from Polly point into the river.

Questions:
How many boats participated?
How many hours was the opening?
What was the total fish count?
What was the average weight per fish?
Who was the buyer?
Where was DFO?

When you have the answers, do the math. You may find that the answer contravenes the fisheries act while fishing under commercial license.

Lollypop,
You have good info, great knowledge of the issues.
I strongly suggest you get involved with your local SFAC group.
You are a resource would be an awesome asset to the PA community.

Or

Go to the media, papers, tv and everyone.
Only a few know what an atrocity was done on the stamp somass chinook this year.
Time to hold those accountable for poaching and abuse of a Canadian resource.

Very few have the info and the knowledge of this crime, but they are out there.
In time someone talks and spills the beans.

Back