Alberni Inlet springs

How is it going to protect local wild stocks if the inlets are open? Isn't it just catching the same fish in a different place? Doesn't make much sense to me.

maybe steven tatosh should put down his slurpy and go for a walk on the river and see there is no springs .

I'll tell you one thing...... i'm sick of letting those fish go by us along the surfline only for them to get caught in nets by poachers

How is it going to protect local wild stocks if the inlets are open? Isn't it just catching the same fish in a different place? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Inlets are where mainly hatchery produced fish congregate (Conuma and Robertson Creek). Not that its 100% but certainly they can control what stocks are caught more accurately that way. Not saying its right or wrong but thats their reasoning behind it.

Rumour only - unsubstantiated!! That said, hear today there were NO numbers of chinooks in today's swim of the river. We will see what happens when the rain starts - sure hope they are hiding somewhere. Similarly, unsubstantiated rumour that the total FN catch is actually over 11,000. Again, rumour only...but why did the FN observer who was supposed to monitor and close off the fishery once the quota was reached never show up to do his job for 3 days! Effective self government or?? Just sayin...but remember, unsubstantiated and certainly not trying to stir the pot on this, simply pointing out we need to start asking some tough questions and then make sure this never happens again. We will need to get the hard facts, determine what exactly went wrong, and work within the process to address the issues with more rigorous "independently verified" control measures. No more of this fox guarding the hen house crap.

Kelly: Yes hatchery fish concentrate in the inlets but the wild ones from systems within that inlet do exactly the same thing. What else concentrates in the inlets? Fishermen. I would say there are more wild river systems within the inlets than outside of them. Gold, Burnham, Tashis, Nahmint, |Sarita, |Franklin to name a few. Logic tells me that the further away from these rivers you fish the less likely you are to encounter larger numbers of them. Just as an example the Namint Bay is closed but those fish do swim through the canal where they get funneled into a narrow open for fishing area and are likely caught at a higher rate than they would be inside the one mile corridor at Ferrier on the north end of Nootka Island. Not suggesting closing the inlet but it would be nice to come up with solutions that actually achieve real and timely improvements so that people like you and me might again see fish returning like they did when we were youngsters.
As an example of a possible solution. All the revenue from salmon stamps should directly fund marking every hatchery salmon produced in BC. Then you could make the corridor and inlets that have depressed wild populations open to hatchery only during the summer migration. 2 springs a day and no upper size limit, just marked. We would not suffer for numbers as marked fish would dominate the fish populations. But the few wild fish would truly get a free pass and maybe we would see improvements.

Searun he was monitoring the Capilano Coho slaughter on those 2 days.

Rumour only - unsubstantiated!! That said, hear today there were NO numbers of chinooks in today's swim of the river. We will see what happens when the rain starts - sure hope they are hiding somewhere. Similarly, unsubstantiated rumour that the total FN catch is actually over 11,000. Again, rumour only...but why did the FN observer who was supposed to monitor and close off the fishery once the quota was reached never show up to do his job for 3 days! Effective self government or?? Just sayin...but remember, unsubstantiated and certainly not trying to stir the pot on this, simply pointing out we need to start asking some tough questions and then make sure this never happens again. We will need to get the hard facts, determine what exactly went wrong, and work within the process to address the issues with more rigorous "independently verified" control measures. No more of this fox guarding the hen house crap.

That would be why we havent seen the fish counts over the Stamp falls yet? Has anyone seen the ladder count yet?

it is time the dfo puts a two fish a day limit on chinook for all this means first nations also.this is not a food fishery, it is a way of putting money in some greedy pockets.

it is time the dfo puts a two fish a day limit on chinook for all this means first nations also.this is not a food fishery, it is a way of putting money in some greedy pockets.

Yes but will never happen.

It was called a FN economic fishery so their kids would have clothes for school..(beer money, new pick up truck, etc.)
As if they wouldn't of had??

They also want another kick at the coho coming in next for another economic fishery...

Just how many sockeye did they take for another economic fishery in June/July... it was well over 100 000 fish

What sickens me the most is DFO putting their head in the sand and not laying charges for poaching and saying their 'may be' more fish coming, as an excuse to the poaching.

Matt, did they publish your letter yet???

Yes, apparently they did while I was offshore. Have been informed my "days are numbered" as a consequence" :D

Still no escapement numbers??? Over 1,000 Emails to pour through to try and find that. Will post if I do...

Nog

Has anyone seen the ladder count yet?

First one is up. Just a tad difficult to believe given there were almost none found in the swim counts, the guides working the flow have seen extremely little as have the few anglers that still feel the need to target on them in the river, and a long hike today personally witnessed but three dead (not spawned out - heat exhaustion would be my guess as the river is > 18 degrees C) ansd zero live springs. Wouldn't be the first time the numbers are getting "fudged" here methinks...

Very very few in the harbor. The approach lanes to the Sound are devoid of spawners. A complete and utter FAIL IMHO! :(

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to September 23, 2012
OBSERVATIONS:

The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 7,200 adult chinook, 15,800 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Historically, about 30% of the chinook run has migrated past Stamp Falls by September 23: the current chinook escapement estimate of 7,200 is 30% of expected escapement (24,000). Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts during the past 18 days ranged between about 50 and 500 adult chinook, 100 and 1,430 adult coho, as well as 0 and 10 adult sockeye. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderately high (1.27 m), and temperature is
moderately high (18°C). Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital
video review.

And on it goes...
Nog

I agree Nog. although i hope for the best and would like to see those numbers to be correct (at the very least) "fudged" is what I suspect although i would term it a little stronger - lies. Thinking back to the early 90s these numbers are incredibly weak.

This entire affair is such a sad commentary on the present mindset of aboriginals. They paint themselves with the same brush as the seine crews of the 70's and 80's where greed and corruption are at the forefront of the fishery. After investing literally Billions over the past 40 years in salmonid enhancement, we now see the whole investment unravel through DFO inability to live up to their duties to protect the fish first. I fear that future generations of all backgrounds will be the victims. It really is time to consider what benefits we actually receive from any ties to Ottawa at all.

...It really is time to consider what benefits we actually receive from any ties to Ottawa at all.

One can Hope that the official Fisheries Critics (who have just been spoon-fed the entire background of the situation) can bring about some form of Accountability, and perhaps, dare I suggest - Rectification down the road...

Nog

One party to the over fishing problem seems to have been missed here. That is, what role did the salmon buyers play in promoting the over fishing of FN fishers who were selling their catch to the buyers. Surely the buyers must have known the quota, and must have known they were buying illegally caught fish!!!

Seems to me that the prudent thing here is to examine closely the licensing regulations that fish buyers must adhere to, and perhaps there should be fines levied to the buyers who knowingly purchased illegally caught fish in the order of the commercial value of those fish purchased over the quota. That way those funds (fines) could be directed back into hatchery programs aimed at replacing the net loss in fish production caused by any over fishing. Seems to me to be a reasonable way to bring some form of accountability back into the picture.

I have no issue with the Commercial FN fishery, and I certainly would prefer to see the FN conducting a value added commercial fishery in Port Alberni over the current commercial fleet - many of whom do not process their fish or live, work and spend money in the Alberni valley like they would if they lived here. There is a lot to be said for generating local fisheries that concentrate the wealth generated from them in the very communities where those fish come from. This is a far better way to manage a fishery like this.

However all that said, I have a HUGE issue with overfishing the quota - there must be some way to control the fishery. So if FN want to have a commercial fishery they must prove they can stick within their quota and not overfish their combined food and cerimonial plus commercial quota to give DFO some way to properly ensure conservation needs are met. So keep the fishery local, but put in place rigorous and effective controls on all beneficiaries of the catch.

Somass River Escapement Bulletin
Observations to September 28, 2012

OBSERVATIONS:
The Stamp Falls fishway counters have been operational since September 6. Since their inception, cumulative escapement through Stamp Falls is about 8,900 adult chinook, 18,400 adult coho, and 100 adult sockeye. Note that cumulative escapement includes: (1) night-time counts; and (2) salmon which migrated past Stamp Falls prior to operating the counters as estimated from the snorkel survey from the Great Central Lake dam to the Stamp Falls fishway on September 6. Daily escapement counts since the last bulletin ranged between about 220 and 430 adult chinook, as well as 420 and 650 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since the
last bulletin has been negligible. Compared to past years, Stamp Falls water level is moderately low (1.22 m); recent temperature data are unavailable. Currently, salmon escapement in the Stamp River appears to be unimpeded.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital
video review.

"Cumulative Escapement" now openly contains "guesstimates" derived from swims and whatever numbers are "thought" to have passed in the dark.

Woo-Hoo. 8,900 springs. Even if correct, that only leaves a measly 15,100 to go to meet escapement targets!
Have a look at the calender DFO! REALLY think it's going to happen?

vomit.gif

I'm suprised the commercial guys havn't voiced their opinion on this, we will both be shut down in 4 years when there is no return

Back