Airmar TM-275LHW ......

TelStar26

Ive found what I believe to be a good deal on a airman TH-275LHW transducer.

90% sure i'm going to pull the trigger on this one.
Before I do, hoping someone who runs, or has ran this transducer can hold my hand and tell me how much they love it? lol!

But seriously, its a lot of dough for a black plastic block, that can't be returned once installed... :eek:

Anyone running one of these?

Thanks Guys,

Last edited:
Do you mean the TM275LHW? I dont see a TH-275HLW
A few of us on here have the Airmar B175HW Thru hull and are very happy with it. Amazing detail

IMG_4851 (Large).JPGIMG_4446 (Large).JPG

yup! I'll change that now.
I would assume the "HW" of the 275LHW would be the exact same as the B175HW? -transom mount/thru hull aside...
Ya the HW is the high and wide. The L is the low frequency which the B175HW does not have. Note sure the difference of 175 and 275
The B175HW was around $1400. Just thinking for that price a thru hull would be better, less chance of damage, unless at some point you want to take off the boat.

I have a B175HW and in my opinion its probably the best transducer for salmon fishing. The 275LHW has the same high frequency element as the 175HW, but also gives you the low frequency CHIRP range which is great if you are fishing deep.

To be honest though, unless you have a specific use case for the low frequency range (regularly fishing deeper than 600'), then you can probably save a few $$ and go with the TM185 (same at as the B175HW, but in transom mount). The low frequency channel on the 275 has almost the same beam width (16-25 degrees) as the HW channel (25 degrees). But if you found a good deal where the price is the same - or doesn't matter - then definitely go for the 275.

Great thread and timely as I need to dump the crappy one that was installed with my Garmin a few years ago. It's in near the keel, any input around how many degrees? I know it will be hull specific, is the idea to have the transducer angled as flat as possible? Think I will go measure the angle of the hull where rhe current one is and firgue it out.

Duh deadrise of hull...

I have the 175 HW thru hull w Garmin sounder. Absolutely love it. I dont Hali fish where i would see a lot of value in the L. Check the Airmar site to see the amount of deadrise the transducer can accomodate. As i recall 24 degrees of my hull is the max.
Jim

Great thread and timely as I need to dump the crappy one that was installed with my Garmin a few years ago. It's in near the keel, any input around how many degrees? I know it will be hull specific, is the idea to have the transducer angled as flat as possible? Think I will go measure the angle of the hull where rhe current one is and firgue it out.

Duh deadrise of hull...
On my Commander I have the 0 degree which is good for 0 to 7 degree deadrise. I have mine right in the middle of the boat between the engines so its flat.
A 12 degree unit is good or 8 to 16 deadrise and 20 degree good for 16 to 24 deadrise.
So the transducer goes through the hull at the angle of the hull but the element inside is tilted to compensate.

This explains it

On my Commander I have the 0 degree which is good for 0 to 7 degree deadrise. I have mine right in the middle of the boat between the engines so its flat.
A 12 degree unit is good or 8 to 16 deadrise and 20 degree good for 16 to 24 deadrise.
So the transducer goes through the hull at the angle of the hull but the element inside is tilted to compensate.

This explains it

Ya thanks, I've been reading. The B150 pos in there now is a 20 degree....it is installed not too far off the keel. So, given the new transducer will go in the same, albeit larger, hole, I think I am going to measure the angle first instead of simply going with the 20 degree model by default. Hauling out again week after next, lets hope the supply chain curse doesn't prevail yet again.

20 degrees seems pretty steep for where it is located, so may as well get it right.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Ive found what I believe to be a good deal on a airman TH-275LHW transducer.

90% sure i'm going to pull the trigger on this one.
Before I do, hoping someone who runs, or has ran this transducer can hold my hand and tell me how much they love it? lol!

But seriously, its a lot of dough for a black plastic block, that can't be returned once installed... :eek:

Anyone running one of these?

Thanks Guys,

I have the TM-275LHW on my boat. After 4 years of use, I can say that I almost never use the low frequency.

The high frequency see's bottom (not fish) to almost 1000ft when running on plane. The high frequency will allow me to see my halibut spreader bar when jigging in 250ft of water. The low frequency makes a noise of such pitch, that I can hear it when I turn it on, and I've never seen anything on it which was particularly interesting.

If I could do it all over a TM-185HW (equivalent to the high side of the TM-275LHW) would have been perfect for my needs, and I could have saved some money.

For reference, my transducer is powered by a Simrad Evo3 .

Mine is a simple garmin 7608xsv...99% of the vessel use is on the Georgia Straits and into the inlets. The current transducer does an ok job finding the floor most of the time and only gaps out around 500' and beyond. Definition is poor, and while I'm not ruling out user error, I am also willing to throw some cash at this to make it awesome for the next guy.

I’ve got the tm175hw. Paired to a Garmin 943. Installed last year. Much better than the p60. Fantastic for fishing. But at high speed in deep water you can lose the bottom, not always but definitely in 300-600ft. Slow speed it’s flawless in all depths. . I’ve got 2 sounders so the other one is always getting a reading. If you run one unit it might cause some stress.

I’ve got the tm175hw. Paired to a Garmin 943. Installed last year. Much better than the p60. Fantastic for fishing. But at high speed in deep water you can lose the bottom, not always but definitely in 300-600ft. Slow speed it’s flawless in all depths. . I’ve got 2 sounders so the other one is always getting a reading. If you run one unit it might cause some stress.
The TM165HW is similar to the B175HW but in a transom mount configuration. Check out the videos on YouTube comparing the performance
of these two transducers when run side by side on similar (Simrad) MFD's.

The TM165HW is similar to the B175HW but in a transom mount configuration. Check out the videos on YouTube comparing the performance
of these two transducers when run side by side on similar (Simrad) MFD's.
I forgot to add that the TM165HW is a 600 W transducer and the B175HW is 1kW. If you're fishing in water less than 500', you may be able to get by using the less powerful transducer.

Agree with the comments above. I'm not sure the utility of a high-wide ducer for fishing deep, when you are usually targeting structure, and while you will see structure at depth a little better with the low frequency, with the wide cone, you won't know exactly where that structure is underneath you (vs. narrow cone where you can be more precise). I think the HW ducers are great at finding bait and suspended targets (ie. salmon fishing). And my B175HW can see bottom at >1000 feet, so I'm not sure the utility of a low freq HW ducer. Maybe somebody smarter than me has a use for it. Just my thoughts, YMMV,
fb

After scraping the ends of the internet and the wholesalers in Canada, I finally found a b175hw / 20 in stock at hodges marine out of Florida. Here's hoping it arrives in time for week after next haul out. If it isn't, I'm leaving the boat out as I need all the help I can get!

OP if you have difficulty finding the one you're after, give hodges a try.

Gill travis on the hull truth usually does good deals or have a look on defender.com ...

Back