Air ride or Suspension seats

This is the seat I put in my Alumaweld 3 or 4 yrs ago http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Seats/Universal-Tractor-Seat-with-Suspension/8032915.p (Cant remember exactly when) I replaced all the bolts with stainless and gave the metal work a couple of coats of Tremclad.

They have two coil springs and one shock. It is NOT as good as an air ride-- but look at the difference in price . And in a real snotty sea, they will bottom out (but I am close to the weight limit the manufacturer set---damn!) There is a weakness in lateral support, but so far this has not been a problem.

Thanks for the info and photo. If you don't mind me asking what is the weight limit on the seat as I think I may be close to the limit. Thanks.

Pute has been down for a couple of days...hence the delay in answering. The specs give a weight limit of approx 260 lbs.

Thanks for the info and photo. If you don't mind me asking what is the weight limit on the seat as I think I may be close to the limit. Thanks.
I was in Princess auto today and I saw those seats on sale I think it was $89.99 if I recall correct. Didnt get a weight capacity on them as I didn't know anyone was looking till I just read this thread now. Price is right Its in the flyer

Just make sure you dont cheap out and get one or I will be driving the boat when I'm with ya! wouldn't want ya to build a half a butt boat now would we!

I was I princess auto the other day and took a look at the suspension seat that is on sale and it looks like it is pretty cheap quality. I got mine from a guy on ebay and are much nicer and are rated for 300 lbs. They are Ford tractor seats and I believe the guys store was called my tractor parts. Mine ran me 120 a piece including shipping

Attachments

• 20140316_125025.jpg
    20140316_125025.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 20140316_124957.jpg
    20140316_124957.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 515
  • 20140316_125038.jpg
    20140316_125038.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 515
Those look just like the ones I put in my boat, I think they work just great. I got mine for north island tractor. I think they were also about $120.

Interesting seats...... I almost bought a set when Cuba Libre did, but max weight thing was an issue. I think his were 250 pound max and he was bottoming them out on the waves. That being the case my fat arse would break them for sure as he's not even at the max weight.

Now we should ask Cuba Libre about the fatigue that wore out and broke the springs last week and wether he found replacement parts or if he has to buy new seat.

a buddy of mine put tractor seats similar to CL's set-up. They serve their purpose.
My preference would be a deep V glass boat that doesn't need suspension seats...but to each their own :)

I've been working on this for months......... I have come to believe there is no answer to supporting a guy just perfectly.

These are to date the best I found and built locally http://shockwaveseats.com $1500 each for the bare ones and you put your own seats on. http://shockwaveseats.com/products/bare-modules/item/s2-suspension-module-swp-1035?category_id=9

I looked at Wave Riders, Seaspenion,Back Savers etc..... There are so many but lots won't hold up well in salt. Many seem to be made for fresh water or won't hold up long in our environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha. Ha I've been looking at this for months too tieing to find a solution. I already have nice seats so if this system is priced right then I will give them a go. Nice simple design that can have shocks replaced / whatever easily. The unit is made with stainless steal so that's a start.

I would have bought the shock wave seats already but it would mean Id have to shorten both side boxes on my boat as well as move there mounts to allow installation.

Couldnt find a pedestal to handle my weight let allow the weight of the guys I fish with properly. 220-280+ Lbs of man inpacting down wards creates how much force? 350-400 lbs min Id guess. Most bottom out at 250-275. So Id think maybe 150-175lb man Max. HAHAHA not sure I know a guy that light

I'm no expert but why does it seem so difficult to achieve this at a reasonable cost. I also don't know why there isn't a basic system like the one I posted that uses a truck like airbag and shock system. What's so difficult?
Oh well. I will get a price from these guys soon I hope.

The nice thing about airbags in they are infinatly compresable and won't bottom out where as springs and shocks do.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so here s the deal. had this very same issue faced with the fact I did not want to put out for what some of these
fine manufacturers wanted and good quality air rides are impossible to beat . These tractor implement style seat
rests are over active IMHO and undampened creating an over-active ride....bouncy that is. the best setup is to not
move at all as the boat and hull does its thing bellow you. What I had come up with on the cheap was an office chair
gas shock. You can adjust your ride hight,comes in different weight ratings, should not bottom out with just the right
amount of action. And they swivel.

OK so here s the deal. had this very same issue faced with the fact I did not want to put out for what some of these
fine manufacturers wanted and good quality air rides are impossible to beat . These tractor implement style seat
rests are over active IMHO and undampened creating an over-active ride....bouncy that is. the best setup is to not
move at all as the boat and hull does its thing bellow you. What I had come up with on the cheap was an office chair
gas shock. You can adjust your ride hight,comes in different weight ratings, should not bottom out with just the right
amount of action. And they swivel.

Interesting---- Got any Pics???

I would worry about lateral stresses. In an office, all the stresses are straight down. On a boat, there are a lot of other dynamics going on. I am certain these chairs are not engineered for lateral stresses on the mechanism.

I looked at the Smooth move seats, and I think they would work well. Plus, you can use your existing seats and retain the swivel and fore/aft adjustment. In my opinion, a swivel seat at the helm is mandatory for trolling.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Smooth Move failed my search as I asked the question. Does it max out at 300lbs down force? I was told yes.... I was told it was good for an average guy around 200-240lbs. Besides maybe GLG everyone I fish with is over 200lbs and me that's a different story..... Not many made for the fat guy :(

Sorry Cuba Libre, but ive been running the same pair for over 6 years now. Ive had 300+ gents in them and they aren't ment as
a recliner but they work great nothing but rave reviews. if the shock is supported at the top and the bottom ie in a box or bench
this would provide the best stability unlike the beefier pedestal design that relies on a fairly small footprint. The shock is actually
upside down with the outer shell slider being fastened to the deck. just as you would see it after you unbolt the office chair and
replace with a marine type if you like. I prefer the small low slung back as the feel better in the small of ones back.

Having trouble visualizing how its installed-- If you have a pic, can you post it please.
Thanks
CL

Back