Advice / Suggestions Please...

A0966

Hi everyone. Picked up this new to me boat last summer amid the crazy COVID boat market for a good deal (I think...) I had a great season with it and didn't do any significant projects, but identified a couple of changes that need to be made.

The boat currently has 1 battery, which needs to change. I ended up killing it last year while fishing and resorted to pull starting the main (115 V4).

I had planned on deleting the oil reservoir and injection system and batch mixing the 2 stroke oil in the tank when filling to make room for a second battery. It dawned on me when I was putting together a materials list that my kicker is a 4 stroke and draws from the main tank as well, so mixing in the tank isn't an option.

What do you think is the best bet for getting a second battery?

#1- Delete the oil injection system and run a seperate fuel cell for the kicker (portable tank in outboard well?). Mix in the tank for the main and add a battery where the oil reservoir was.

#2- Keep the oil injection system, add a second battery up front somewhere

#3- Add a charging coil to the kicker and stick with 1 battery.

#4 Open to ideas...

The boat is sitting pretty low in the stern as currently set up, so this is something I was going to try and address as well. I'd also like to add a roof rack for storing traps and the kids tubes/ kayaks etc...

Thanks for taking a look and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

20220303_164033.jpg20220303_164052.jpg

You know that someone, not me, is going to suggest buying a new 4 stroke main motor which will eliminate the oil reservoir to make room for the second battery. Problem solved.

You know that someone, not me, is going to suggest buying a new 4 stroke main motor which will eliminate the oil reservoir to make room for the second battery. Problem solved.
Hahaha, that would be the ideal solution, but not a possibility this season.

Just a bit off topic, I was looking at your new boat, (looks like a keeper) and noticed that someone has painted the zinc anode just above the propeller. Makes the boat look shinier but a really bad idea. The anode has to be bare metal to do its job, which is to sacrifice itself for the rest of the motor. If I’m right and it was painted, scrape or sand all that paint off, or replace it with a new one, if I just have bad eyes, my apologies.

Hi everyone. Picked up this new to me boat last summer amid the crazy COVID boat market for a good deal (I think...) I had a great season with it and didn't do any significant projects, but identified a couple of changes that need to be made.

The boat currently has 1 battery, which needs to change. I ended up killing it last year while fishing and resorted to pull starting the main (115 V4).

I had planned on deleting the oil reservoir and injection system and batch mixing the 2 stroke oil in the tank when filling to make room for a second battery. It dawned on me when I was putting together a materials list that my kicker is a 4 stroke and draws from the main tank as well, so mixing in the tank isn't an option.

What do you think is the best bet for getting a second battery?

#1- Delete the oil injection system and run a seperate fuel cell for the kicker (portable tank in outboard well?). Mix in the tank for the main and add a battery where the oil reservoir was.

#2- Keep the oil injection system, add a second battery up front somewhere

#3- Add a charging coil to the kicker and stick with 1 battery.

#4 Open to ideas...

The boat is sitting pretty low in the stern as currently set up, so this is something I was going to try and address as well. I'd also like to add a roof rack for storing traps and the kids tubes/ kayaks etc...

Thanks for taking a look and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

View attachment 76612View attachment 76613
I have a 1990 185 allante cuddy, never noticed any hard tops before. Do you have the " bait well" under the rear port seat. I cut it out for my first duel battery set up. Second , current set up has both batteries under repurposed starboard sleeper ( converted to a swivel helm and backless cushion) seat. Keep the vro, mixing will be smoky at revs under 2500. Definitely set up kicker to charge. Keep a small kicker tank too. 2 motors 2 batteries 2 tanks. safety first and second. cheers

Just a bit off topic, I was looking at your new boat, (looks like a keeper) and noticed that someone has painted the zinc anode just above the propeller. Makes the boat look shinier but a really bad idea. The anode has to be bare metal to do its job, which is to sacrifice itself for the rest of the motor. If I’m right and it was painted, scrape or sand all that paint off, or replace it with a new one, if I just have bad eyes, my apologies.
I'll add that to my check list, thanks!

I have a 1990 185 allante cuddy, never noticed any hard tops before. Do you have the " bait well" under the rear port seat. I cut it out for my first duel battery set up. Second , current set up has both batteries under repurposed starboard sleeper ( converted to a swivel helm and backless cushion) seat. Keep the vro, mixing will be smoky at revs under 2500. Definitely set up kicker to charge. Keep a small kicker tank too. 2 motors 2 batteries 2 tanks. safety first and second. cheers
Sounds like the ideal set up, and I like the idea of moving the batteries forward as it seems to be stern heavy in the water already.

I don't think the rudder piece your looking at was zinc on that motor,it was just to adjust for steering.It is a zinc on almost every other motor.

Sounds like the ideal set up, and I like the idea of moving the batteries forward as it seems to be stern heavy in the water already.
I know what you mean about stern heavy. A little higher would be nice. Mine sits right at the underside of the swim grid, and I think thats where it should be. That puts the water level just under the splash well drain hole, so water comes through due to waves but has never swamped over onto the deck. I find the hull can take bigger water than I can ;) P1000450.JPG

Not bad eyes, but you cant see the anode in the pics because its above the hydrofoil:)

You could just get one of those booster jump starting pack, a charging coil can be expensive, if wanted sell the kicker and find a good deal on one with electric start

I personally would delete the vro. They are prone to fail.
Do you troll with the main? If so, then don't delete the vro cause it will smoke more and foul plugs.
My previous boat had a evinrude vro 90 hp. I deleted the vro. Mixed the gas 50 to 1 and had a separate tank for the kicker.
Thats me though.

#3 and buy an agm battery, move up one size if possible, maybe add a solar panel too
I agree. This saves having to always charge your battery after using your boat, especially when you are using your boat a lot. Charge it while you are trolling. I’ve never had 2 batteries and I’ve never drained the one I have. I run 2 electric downriggers, a VHF radio, a chart plotter and a separate fish finder and I can charge two cell phones or other USB device. Most of these have small current draws and downriggers are pulled up regularly, but intermittently. But I have switched to an AGM battery for longer life and more reliability (we’ll see). And I keep a compact lithium ion battery booster on the boat just in case the battery dies when I’m out there.

I agree. This saves having to always charge your battery after using your boat, especially when you are using your boat a lot. Charge it while you are trolling. I’ve never had 2 batteries and I’ve never drained the one I have. I run 2 electric downriggers, a VHF radio, a chart plotter and a separate fish finder and I can charge two cell phones or other USB device. Most of these have small current draws and downriggers are pulled up regularly, but intermittently. But I have switched to an AGM battery for longer life and more reliability (we’ll see). And I keep a compact lithium ion battery booster on the boat just in case the battery dies when I’m out there.
Yeah, Costco has a good marine agm online. I believe agm have more discharge capacity so like a bigger battery and more resilient when drawn down. That’s pretty good, the amount you can draw. What kicker do you have an how many amps does the alternator out?

One thing to also consider is adding a battery monitor so you don’t get surprised, by a dead battery.

AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A Auto Car Motor Boat Caravan RV Motorhome https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CTKYFTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RZH7DXFQTND72V8XC7MM?psc=1

P1000459.JPGP1000458.JPG
peace of mind.
If your vro is still functioning after 30 years..........just remember to pump the bulb

Last edited:
Yeah, Costco has a good marine agm online. I believe agm have more discharge capacity so like a bigger battery and more resilient when drawn down. That’s pretty good, the amount you can draw. What kicker do you have an how many amps does the alternator out?

One thing to also consider is adding a battery monitor so you don’t get surprised, by a dead battery.

AiLi Battery Monitor Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter 8-80V 0-100A Auto Car Motor Boat Caravan RV Motorhome https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CTKYFTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RZH7DXFQTND72V8XC7MM?psc=1
Kicker is a new Suzuki 9.9. It throws 12 amps I believe.

Back