Are bootfoot waders an OK choice?

• Yes, they're fine

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No, avoid them

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Raisa V

Hi!
I'm hoping to get into fly fishing and need a pair of waders. I will be fishing mostly in the spring/summer in smaller rivers or creeks on Vancouver Island. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should go for... some fairly cheap waders on amazon seem to have great reviews, but are boot foot waders going to be less durable and overall a bad choice or are they fine? Does anyone have experience with cheap vs expensive and is the difference really that noticeable? I don't want to invest in expensive waders just yet as I'm not sure how much I will get to use them (I am in nursing school and frequently busy studying). And are there any types/brands you would avoid at all costs? If anybody wouldn't mind offering some insight that would be much appreciated! :)

A good pair of gore-tex waders from Simms will last you 10-15 years if you look after them. No need to go top of the line, their mid-level stuff is pretty high quality. Neoprene or plastic/rubber waders are garbage...don't breathe, you get damp from sweat inside, then cold from the river water...no fun.

I own six pairs of neoprene boot-foot waders and respectfully have to disagree with you about your “garbage” comment.

If you get high-quality 3 mm neoprene and dress according to the weather, you can spend all day in them and be completly comfortable. Funny you mentioned the word “garbage”—-I just had a friend get all huffy and puffy about how stupid and behind the times I am wearing neoprene....and offered to get me a pair of Reddington sock-foot waders for.....US$ 250——normal retail....$ 400. I think that’s ridiculously expensive, especially when you have to screw around with wet laces getting the wading shoes on and off.

With boot-feet, no wet laces....just kick them off and slip then back on and you’re done.

Back before C-19 , every April I took one week trips up to Alaska —- flew in to a river and drifted for 6 days back down to the ocean in my inflatable raft, camping in a new spot every night. Weather would go from loony-sized raindrops one day to side-ways blizzards the next day, then hot sun , then back to rain. I would have died of hypothermia doing that in gore-tex....

I had 5 mm neoprene for those trips and I was completely comfortable for six days straight. The only issue—-the boot-feet get damp so if you want the insulation to last 5 or 6 seasons or more, you crumple up newspaper and stuff both boots for the evening, then step into bone-dry boots the next morning.

I fish steelhead and salmon pretty much year round in my local rivers—- I use 3mm neoprene for spring and summer, 4mm and 5 mm neoprene for winter. IF I’m busting brush and going in and out of canyons, I put my coat in a backpack so the engine doesn’t over-heat. Ocassionally I’ll fold the top of the waders down to leave my chest uncovered if hiking—-a belt comes in handy for that

Brands? The top-of-the-line used to be Bare but they stopped making boot-foot neoprene and joined the Gore-Tex Cult. I own 4 pairs of Bare neoprene boot-feet waders and treat them like Royalty. If you find a pair of Bare boot-feet waders that fit you, handcuff yourself to them—-they are that good.

Nowadays, Kodiak makes a good pair of neoprene boot-foots. So does Froggs Toggs—-get the felted boot-feet style. Cabela’s also sells a good quality felted boot-foot wader for 1/3 the price of what you’d pay for a pair of Simms

For the 3mm thickness, I buy ProLine. You could pick up 3 pairs of ProLine boot-foot waders for what you’d pay for one pair of Simms. I typically get 4 seasons out of ProLine before I have to start putting sealant on the boots—-that’s the Achilles heel—-the rubber starts to crack from solar oxidation and from repeated bending in the same place .

10-15 years for a pair of gore-tex waders? Cough cough....maybe for someone who fishes once or twice a year????.....the sock-feet will eventually spring leaks no matter how well you take care of them. I dropped $ 300 for a pair of Simms for my daughter when we went up to the Skeena one October and the sock-feet leaked before the trip was over

The morning I took this photo it was -6 degrees C......the oranges in my pack froze solid then shattered like Christmas tree bulbs....gore-tex waders? Not for me, thanks...

09D6C734-A4E0-4E76-A2A1-E448156723E8.jpeg

Last edited:
I speak from experience having owned neoprene before, sounds like you have never owned gore Tex waders before. If they work for you great, but any garment that can't breathe when you are active is going to present moisture (sweat) problems.

And I am on my 11th year with my current pair of Simms. They have been patched and repaired a couple times, but still going strong.

Have to agree with Ryanb. I fly fish a lot and have also had a pair of Simms for over 10 years.
I think that an argument for neoprene could be made for cold weather but if you are doing any hiking or fishing in relatively warm weather then
Goretex or something similar is the way to go for your own personal comfort.
If Goretex gets a leak it is relatively easy to fix.
Also, you won't see many guides running about in neoprene waders.
If you decide to get a pair of boots beware of felt soles as there are places (Alaska) where they are banned due to the possibility of carrying invasive species.
Lastly, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

The main saving graces of neoprene are: 1/ they are cheaper than gore-Tex, 2/ they repair easily, and 3/ they work well in/for cold water streams. The Main drawbacks is: if you have to travel by foot long distances to get there - they are too warm.

Gore-Tex: 1/ more adaptable, 2/ more comfortable. Drawback: more expensive and 2/ harder to repair.

BOOTS! not yet mentioned.

The boot/wader combo is arguably the cheapest and least comfortable. If you're putting miles on - don't bother.

Felt is the overall beast option for wading boots. Cleats/corks only in very specific conditions: logs. Cleats also slip on rocks: dangerous. Felts also don't do well in mud. Standard hipboot treads are the best for mud.

Basically choose for what you normally encounter and your needs and your pocketbook.

I'll second simms gortex waders. Mine are 10 seasons old and ill get another 10 for sure. There worth the investment. Or spend 300 every other year and the cheap ones will add up to the cost of simms in 5 years.

Ford vs Chevy time. I used to run two pair of boot foot 5mm Wardells, one felt and rubber sole. Yup you sweat but newspaper does work. For the Thompson and rivers of slime I have a pair of rubber galoshes with aluminum v-bar cleats. They don't slip on rocks.

I have a cheap pair of Cabela's breatheables with Simms felt soled boots. PITA to put on when your used to boot foot waders. Nice in the summer, but I'm leery of bushwhacking in them. Looking for a pair of boot foot 3mm neoprenes to go with the 5mm pair. They all have their uses.

Whatever you buy get a belt and use it. Sooner or later you will go for a swim.

Back