Adhesive measuring tape for sizing fish

pescador

Given some areas have slot limits where size matters, I'd like to apply one of those measuring tapes that can be stuck somewhere convenient on my boat where I can quickly determine length of my fish. I see a lot boats on the site have them, but, I haven't been able to find any around the lower mainland. Can any one let me know where they can be found? Lower Mainland or Victoria would be preferable.

I got mine from the fuel dock at mosquito creek

The boat shows usually dole them out, but some of the tackle shops have them as well, usually by donation.

Dave

Given some areas have slot limits where size matters, I'd like to apply one of those measuring tapes that can be stuck somewhere convenient on my boat where I can quickly determine length of my fish. I see a lot boats on the site have them, but, I haven't been able to find any around the lower mainland. Can any one let me know where they can be found? Lower Mainland or Victoria would be preferable.

Maybe you like talking to creel surveyors, maybe you don't. But if you ask nicely, they have a satchel full of the salmon recovery program fish rules (38" i think...) The last fella we ran into was happy to oblige with 4 stickers for mine, and another boat at no cost. He also through in a couple floating key chains to boot!

I plan to located it on the sides, right at floor level, so I dont need to lift the fish out of the net to measure...may take it one step further and mount one above the water line so I can see right away before taking it out of the water if it's legal or not.

Maybe you like talking to creel surveyors, maybe you don't. But if you ask nicely, they have a satchel full of the salmon recovery program fish rules (38" i think...) The last fella we ran into was happy to oblige with 4 stickers for mine, and another boat at no cost. He also through in a couple floating key chains to boot!

I plan to located it on the sides, right at floor level, so I dont need to lift the fish out of the net to measure...may take it one step further and mount one above the water line so I can see right away before taking it out of the water if it's legal or not.

Great post FB (Nick). It's guy's like yourself that call out others for releasing and releasing yourself that will make future generations able to fish.

I used to have one, what a PITA to measure fish. Now I just marked Ling and Chinook on my gaff with red waterproof marker. I can just lay it agains the fish and get a pretty good measurment while it is still in the water. If I have to second guess the size, I just release it. Quick, easy and I do not have to handle the fish. If it is legal, flip the gaff and the fish is in the boat.

Cheers

SS

Canadian Tire has the Rapala tapes for a couple of $

Gord, I have an extra you can have. I have the DFO salmon head recovery measure tape (white and blue text, measures to 36.5"). I also have a really bright one in yellow from Florida and I think I have one left from DFO a few years ago white with green text "The Bite Goes On" Pick which one and its yours

Back