80 CM SPRING WEIGHT-$1000 REWARD- FOR MYSTICAL 20LB SPRINGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol lots of yappin' going on but not a single person to collect the dough. Such an easy task to accomplish only difference between my derby is the fish must be gutted and weighed on a calibrated scale.

Pretty easy to figure out why my offer has been up for weeks and not a single fish has qualified.

Lots of avid fishermen talking here that fish the same area that the three mystical 20 lbs came from over the weekend but funny none of them or any of the other hundreds of anglers have tried to collect on this one lol.

Free thousand bucks must be not worth much these days during Covid when the government is giving out free money to sit at home :D
Money is still here. Tick tock tick tock the clock is running. You guys got less than two weeks to colkect.

Seems like there's so many obese 80s out in front of Cheanuh you should just be able to do a quick tack and pick up a few :rolleyes:

Okay I am Duncan aka Discus.
Yesterday I caught a 20.50 lbs chinnok which was digitally weighed.. it might be a commerical scale. You can ask Cheanuh Marina.
They have an aluminum measurement device. From the head to the fork tail my fish read 80cm firm.
I caught the fish on the bait and I measured on a sticker ..it said 78 1/4 before I killed it.
I put the fish in the cooler box.
I won the derby with the fish being 20.50 lbs.
The Second place was 20.17 lbs
The third place was 20.09 lbs.
I saw your offer that made me interested but you didnt provide the phone number or email.
FYI I am deaf. I am a true passionate fisherman my whole life. I truly respect the rules and the communities but I just want a chance at the prize you are offering. You can ask Cheanuh Marina and maybe bring your scale and measuring tool to them and see if they are the same. I also had 3 witnesses to everything.

Thank you
Duncan
So your fish grew about 16-17 mm after bonking it? How hard did you hit the thing lol. Or is it a regular occurrence for fish to get longer after bonking?

not to derail this thread that is already well off the rails, but that could pose a problem in dfo’s eyes. Say you bonk a 795 mm fish and it becomes a 810 mm fish, then you’re not within the slot limit

Whether a 20lb 80cm spring exists is very much in doubt. The fact that 3 came from the same derby leads me to believe their scale was off. If all fish are weighed on the same scale it doesn't really matter if its off for derby purposes because everyone's measurements are off too.

I think CDs rules are reasonable, and prevent paying out in situations like this that it seems pretty plausible the measurements were inaccurate.

Follow the rules, prove him wrong. We all want it to happen!

Whether a 20lb 80cm spring exists is very much in doubt. The fact that 3 came from the same derby leads me to believe their scale was off. If all fish are weighed on the same scale it doesn't really matter if its off for derby purposes because everyone's measurements are off too

I think CDs rules are reasonable, and prevent paying out in situations like this that it seems pretty plausible the measurements were inaccurate.

Sooo...only Chasin Dreams scale is accurate?

Whether a 20lb 80cm spring exists is very much in doubt. The fact that 3 came from the same derby leads me to believe their scale was off. If all fish are weighed on the same scale it doesn't really matter if its off for derby purposes because everyone's measurements are off too.

Exactly! That derby also doesn't have people entering the derby gut their fish with the derby master after weight in so...:rolleyes:

Sooo...only Chasin Dreams scale is accurate?
Seems you have trouble reading cause you keep repeating the same lame stuff. Read the rules. If you can't see the differences then we can't help you anymore.

6 Springs today with my daughter. This young lady has been fishing with me since before she could walk. I used to carry her in a chest harness when she was a baby river fishing for Steelhead. It's in her blood she's a natural. So nice to see her getting the rods off the riggers, setting the hooks and fighting the fish so well.

One on the button at 80 cm's and another 79.25 bonked. One was 13.2 other was 13.6 lbs. Released two @ 85 & 88 cm and two hogs upper 20's. The hogs were in the upper 90's/lower 100's for cm's but released cause it was obvious how large they were.

Also weighed three Springs today for other fishermen that were curious about their fish. Nothing over 15. The fattest one that the guys thought was 17 to 18 was 14.8 at 80 cm. Exactly the same results we have found with all the very fat 80 cm fish all season long since the slot came in. Scale was calibrated with them with two different calibration weights prior to weighing.

117912229_943344386167134_7919828300127997886_o.jpg

117874939_943512802816959_6055055009021378839_o.jpg

117600990_943381772830062_5663039393862614766_o.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly! That derby also doesn't have people entering the derby gut their fish with the derby master after weight in so...:rolleyes:

Seems you have trouble reading cause you keep repeating the same lame stuff. Read the rules. If you can't see the differences then we can't help you anymore.

6 Springs today with my daughter. This young lady has been fishing with me since before she could walk. I used to carry her in a chest harness when she was a baby river fishing for Steelhead. It's in her blood she's a natural. So nice to see her getting the rods off the riggers, setting the hooks and fighting the fish so well.

One on the button at 80 cm's and another 79.25 bonked. One was 13.2 other was 13.6 lbs. Released two @ 85 & 88 cm and two hogs upper 20's. The hogs were in the upper 90's/lower 100's for cm's but released cause it was obvious how large they were.

Also weighed three Springs today for other fishermen that were curious about their fish. Nothing over 15. The fattest one that the guys thought was 17 to 18 was 14.8 at 80 cm. Exactly the same results we have found with all the very fat 80 cm fish all season long since the slot came in. Scale was calibrated with them with two different calibration weights prior to weighing.

Darn CD I was hoping she would get a payday. But really she still did, a day fishing and catching with dad is never bad for a daughter or father. Good job on all accounts. Money still waiting for some 20+ fish.

HM

Man if only someone could get ahold of that scale from the derby and calibrate it now ;) That might give us another few pages of anger here :rolleyes:

Man if only someone could get ahold of that scale from the derby and calibrate it now ;) That might give us another few pages of anger here :rolleyes:
Doesn’t matter, there is still the loophole that it has to be CDs scale and he has to be their to witness and gut fish.
Just asking, how does the fish have to be measured. Tape on deck and fish on top of tape or tape on top of fish? Guessing fish on tape.

Last edited:
Darn CD I was hoping she would get a payday. But really she still did, a day fishing and catching with dad is never bad for a daughter or father. Good job on all accounts. Money still waiting for some 20+ fish.
HM
It was a great day with her. So nice to see so many smiles and hearing her say she doesn't want to stop fishing till dark. I've got two daughters one 18 and one 20. The youngest isn't into fishing too much although she will partake if we are all out doing it together but our eldest one loves it as much as I do and just told me last night she wants to get some waders for river fishing for Salmon and Steelhead. She wants to teach her boyfriend who's been asking to learn as well. So that warmed my heart too. Her grandpa was a very avid fisherman that I fished with 25 years ago for years and years till he passed and he taught me a lot of old timer salty knowledge that I cherish very much. We fished one of his styles last night with a top water line not on the rigger, trolling an 8 oz weight to an Anchovy. We picked up two of the springs on that line and I told her that was her grandpas favorite way of fishing for later summer Springs.

Doesn’t matter, there is still the loophole that it has to be CDs scale and he has to be their to witness and gut fish.
Just asking, how does the fish have to be measured. Tape on deck and fish on top of tape or tape on top of fish? Guessing fish on tape.
Fish laying flat on flat tape. Fish should never be measured with the tape going over the protruding hump of the belly as thats not its true length.

So how long is this reward going for, all summer ?? i'm on a mission come Sept.... ;)

Aug 31 8 pm (dusk) no calls to weigh fish after that time.

Last edited:
The guy with the $ makes the rules - Comply by the rules and get paid. Why is this hard to comprehend? If there are 3 caught in one day there must be 1000's swimming by......go catch one and collect - He's even letting guys freeze the whole fish - That's about as reasonable as it gets....basically asking you guys to prove him wrong. Who's gonna be the peoples champ?

This is exactly it. The only reason anyone wouldn't like to play by the rules is that they don't like to go by rules period. If folks don't like the rules or the thread then don't bother sticking around. Simple as that. Like you said it's not their money that's up for offer. If people can follow rules and catch a qualifying fish the money is theirs. Not too difficult to understand but obviously for some here it's very hard for them to comprehend that.

Chasin' is the 'Keeper of the Scale'!

A digital scale is actually pretty easy to calibrate. Chasin' - can you post a picture of your scale?

Same manufacturer of scale the fish buyers use. Calibrated with two weights, a 10 and 25lb that have been checked on an ISO certified regulated commercial scale.

20200818_133606.jpg

Last edited:
I am fully aware of the rules and yes want some money, problem is I cannot for the life of me find an 80 cm over 20 lb yet. I think I should go back and fish my old grounds in JDF, seams like there are lots more down there??? I m still trying.

HM

I am fully aware of the rules and yes want some money, problem is I cannot for the life of me find an 80 cm over 20 lb yet. I think I should go back and fish my old grounds in JDF, seams like there are lots more down there??? I m still trying.

HM
Bottom end of JDF would be a good bet this time of year. They are making their way south to go up the rivers. They like to cruise out deep some times too down the highway. Even in deep water they will cruise up shallow though too. :)

I have cleaned up this thread and am going to put a stop to the animosity here. The thread will remain open as there legitimately are members interested in hooking this unicorn and taking the money. The rules for the contest have not been altered since the beginning. Don't care if you weighed your fish on a marina scale, a derby scale, or your kid's Fisher Price toy scale, none of them apply based on the rules of the contest. If someone caught a legit 80 cm 20 lb Salmon and was unaware of the offer, can't do anything about it now. The only replies that will be accepted in this thread from here on in will be the one's that show a winning fish and the cheque that goes with it.

Last edited:
so an encouraging post for a fisher to go out and get this done was deleted.. weaksauce.

Good luck to all of you out there these last few days of August trying to prove the 80/20 Chinook does exist. Going to lock this thread for now but will unlock for pics and announcement of winner's if it does happen. I think I might have a winner!

80 cm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back