ACR for Yamaha 250?

bigdogg1

Hello,

I have been searching fruitlessly for a definitive answer for the "CONTINUOUS RATING above the Maximum alternator output rating" for my above mentioned 2011 main motor. I want to install a Blue Sea ACR and want to establish which ACR to buy. I have contacted dealers, vendors, Blue Sea and have the service manual for the motor. I have yet to be directed to the answer. I could just go with the 120A over the 65A setup but I would prefer to spend the extra $ on the buss bars etc that are also going in.

Does anybody have an answer or direct me in the right spot on the service manual?

Thanks. My Ohm's law recollection has been taking quite a beating on this. Appreciate the advice.

Good point. I suppose there is no harm (except to the wallet) of opting for the 120A. Is that what you are running?

Yes, i have too i have a 120A alternator on my cummins power. and i have installed the 65A on customers Yamaha outboard boats. but personally like the bigger switch unless you are tight on space

Attachments

• boat 164.JPG
    boat 164.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 26
Why not use the second charging lead for your house battery? No need for an acr you should find it on the port side of the block it will be a capped off red lead 8 or 10 gauge.

Not to high jack this thread and I have the Add a battery set-up and think they are great. But there was a negative too having this in a thread a ways back and I can't find it. I would just like to refresh myself on why. It my have been Sharphooks that posted it. if anyone knows the post I'm talking about could you send it to me

Short version:
If one battery is very low, the green light on the ACR will be blinking. It is a warning not to combine the batteries. If you do the full battery will drain to the low battery and neither will be strong enough to start the engine. I installed a much bigger green led light next to the ACR so I can easily see if it is lit (batteries are combined and charging or off or blinking)

Not to high jack this thread and I have the Add a battery set-up and think they are great. But there was a negative too having this in a thread a ways back and I can't find it. I would just like to refresh myself on why. It my have been Sharphooks that posted it. if anyone knows the post I'm talking about could you send it to me
i know the one you are talking about, basically if you have bad or week battery's this will not help you. but if you have good batteries this will work perfect and isolate your starting battery from the house. they were isolating from a dead battery with another switch instead of using the combined in a emergency situation where they had a dead starting battery and just wanted the house not the dead and the house. again if you run good batteries this is the ideal battery switch set up

I have an acr after an incident a few years back and I love it. There is only one downside to it that I found. I set it up so my kicker and main are on a starting type battery and the rest of the stuff on the two house batteries that are in parallel. Thing is that the kicker is generally not strong enough to keep the batteries above 12.7v which means it almost never charges the house batteries that keep getting drained as your fishing day progresses with downrigger use and such. If you run the main once in a while it helps but that is the only downside I found. You could I suppose wire the kicker on the house batteries but I avoid high current draws from electric starters on the deep cycle batteries or it will shorten their lifespan quite a bit.

I have an acr after an incident a few years back and I love it. There is only one downside to it that I found. I set it up so my kicker and main are on a starting type battery and the rest of the stuff on the two house batteries that are in parallel. Thing is that the kicker is generally not strong enough to keep the batteries above 12.7v which means it almost never charges the house batteries that keep getting drained as your fishing day progresses with downrigger use and such. If you run the main once in a while it helps but that is the only downside I found. You could I suppose wire the kicker on the house batteries but I avoid high current draws from electric starters on the deep cycle batteries or it will shorten their lifespan quite a bit.
Thanks for the information. Appreciated!

Do you have 2 house batteries? How many amps is the alt in your kicker?

I have a 9.9 yammy and want to run just the one house battery with my starting battery.

Thx

Yes I have 2 group 24's in parallel for the house setup. My kicker is a Yamaha t8, so basically the same output as yours. It's about 4 amps but that is at full throttle, which I never troll at. I also have a trickle charger that I use when it is at home, I keep it on charger all the time. Works good.

Yes I have 2 group 24's in parallel for the house setup. My kicker is a Yamaha t8, so basically the same output as yours. It's about 4 amps but that is at full throttle, which I never troll at. I also have a trickle charger that I use when it is at home, I keep it on charger all the time. Works good.

Interesting, good set up. Thanks for the feedback!

Back