Ace Line Hauler Goes Hands Free

I tried a few things to make the bulldog hands free.
I threw out the o-ring and used self vulcanizing tape on the sheave
I had a heavier spring made, but that didn't fix the slipping.
I've now added 2 small bungees I stretch over the handle.
Now its hands free only using the on/off switch.

Maybe Ace can step up and make a true hands free out of the box.

That about sums it up. I wasn't overly impressed by it when the guy's were using it during the Sproat Lake Loggers Derby a while ago. First time I had seen it in action. Firelight bought it and mounted it on his puller on my boat using my tools etc. It did work but it was not hands free. A little more work needs to be done with the design for sure. There will be more complaints on various forums I am sure. They will correct it as they are a great company.

Cheers All ... first part of my evaluation is done ... visited Ace Line Haulers today to purchase BullDog. In an effort to ensure a fair and unbiased evaluation I ensured that the staff installed the unit correctly and that everything else on my unit was in excellent working order. I certainly did not wish to install the unit incorrectly and then blame my deficiencies on the unit.

The unit is now ready for water testing which will occur during the next week's charters. I will advise on my observations at the end of those charters.

One item I do know now is that, once you mount the BullDog on your Ace Line Hauler, the padded blue carry case that protects both unit and vessel no longer accomodates your Ace Line Hauler. The manufacturer is aware of this and I am told they have a new carry bag in the works.

Excited to see how the BullDog works and will let you know....

it would be helpful if you would detail the diameter of the line you are using, the type of line, along with the number of pots you are attempting to pull.

Is't only one bolt ?? I can't see how there could be a right and wrong way to install it ? Am i missing something here ?

Hands free sounds sweet
When is Ace going to include it out of the box as standard equipment, now that they are here who would not want one. It's an expensive addon after spending 550.00 plus tax on a puller. Been dreaming of getting one now I gotta cough up another 80 bucks

Hands free sounds sweet
When is Ace going to include it out of the box as standard equipment, now that they are here who would not want one. It's an expensive addon after spending 550.00 plus tax on a puller. Been dreaming of getting one now I gotta cough up another 80 bucks
They were building them with the units installed at the warehouse when I had mine installed. Guessing it would be up to the stores to order them in with the units included.

Bought one up at Ocean Pacific yesterday for $59. They didnt actually have any on hand though, said a few weeks wait....

Cheers All...have now had an opportunity to try out the BullDog on three charters. I was using 150' of 5/16 leaded line with one stainless 42" crab trap on each float with 4 floats out on each charter. The BullDog did not slip and worked as claimed. I had no issues other than, after using my unit for many years without, I found it awkward to stand there and let the unit work without me. I will be prawning next week and that will be the real test and, as usual, will post results after my trials.

I will attempt to video the BullDog in action.

Fishing Guide any further eports on the puller? Just picked one up and just wanted to know if the hands free option is worth it.
Thanks

That's awesome Owen. At least you shot the video right side up lol. We found it slipped on the lead core line. Are you using something different? It gripped the cheap yellow poly rope that I use with no issues.

Gotta love that nice coil action going on there. Great vid man :cool:.

1800ft no slipping, no issues at all for 2 seasons now... All I am using is the cheap line bought at local fishing store.

I have used both, I started with the dualler plate and it worked as advertised!.
then the bulldog came out and I thought I would give it a try and see if it was any better, after this last weekend I did experience slippage and the rubber oring was balling up as well, I'm sure it will work itself out with a few tweeks
but that being said I do have an extra dualler plate set-up that I removed and spare bag for the non-bulldog puller if anyones interested pm me

I was honestly really impressed with the hands free option on the ace puller and I think it has something to do with the size and type of line, when I purchased a couple traps from FA last year he gave me a good deal on a 600' shot of 5/16 green sealine shown in his video, i also think it is the wax coating on the sealine makes it grip better to the o ring. After trying the handsfree on John's friends puller i will definitely be spending the extra 70 bucks and adding it to mine. Great Vid F.A. that is a truly hands free operation!:)

What Oring? I don't have any Oring

Now I know where my rope went. I've been trying to find it for the last two days. Now I am one line short.

I was pretty sure on John's buddies puller there was a rubber o ring in the middle between the two plates, mine never came with it i thought maybe it was a add-on with the bulldog kit.., i was lucky to get all that green sealine back last year with the help of another boater, unfortunately my traps didn't come up but that sealine is tough stuff, i since bought another 600' shot of it at Chandler for 49.99, going to buy another 24 inch bauer trap and then two stainless commercial style and then i will be able to see once and for all which style works best..MY prawning addiction will come full circle yet..

My old Dualler Plate had a rubber Oring but not my Ace and it works great without it. Maybe it came with later models. I had my Bulldog months before it came out in stores. Maybe it was added afterwards.

Back