About Using Those Anchor Lifts for Prawn Traps

Dogbreath

In the past I've recommended using using the Anchor Lifts from http://www.ironwoodpacific.com to raise your Prawn Traps.
One regular poster here said he'd had poor results in terms of raising his traps with them and I later heard that from other people as well.
Today I phoned Ironwood and asked for clarification.
In addition to having a proper sized buoy the Company Spokesman said that it's very important to use rope that's no smaller than 3/8"</u> and no bigger than 5/8"</u>.
I know last year it worked like a charm on a friend's boat and I remember the rope was 3/8" so don't give up yet!

the main problem is that your traps will bend (the frames could break) when pulling them up.

the main problem is that your traps will bend (the frames could break) when pulling them up.

quote:the main problem is that your traps will bend (the frames could break) when pulling them up.

If that happens then you're using cheap traps that will collapse with any kind of power puller.
Buy some Ladner Traps-not cheap but widely considered the best there is and made locally too.

quote:the main problem is that your traps will bend (the frames could break) when pulling them up.

If that happens then you're using cheap traps that will collapse with any kind of power puller.
Buy some Ladner Traps-not cheap but widely considered the best there is and made locally too.

I've been using Ladner Traps and pulling them with my big river anchor system. I use 3/8" hard laid line and it runs well. Works like a charm and never a problem of any kind.

Pescadero

I've been using Ladner Traps and pulling them with my big river anchor system. I use 3/8" hard laid line and it runs well. Works like a charm and never a problem of any kind.

Pescadero

well i run traps that a commercial guy gave me... so im pretty sure they arent cheap.

well i run traps that a commercial guy gave me... so im pretty sure they arent cheap.

also make sure you run against the current when pulling or they won't raise.

thanks the runt

also make sure you run against the current when pulling or they won't raise.

thanks the runt

How do you keep the rope away from your boat. Do you use a roller or something?

How do you keep the rope away from your boat. Do you use a roller or something?

quote:also make sure you run against the current when pulling or they won't raise.
They raise because of the force of the water against the buoy-it has nothing to do with current at all.

quote:How do you keep the rope away from your boat
Cleat the rope off to your boat and motor away.
Once the buoy pops up the traps are raised now make a slow half circle back to the traps while someone gathers in the rope-nothing simpler.

quote:also make sure you run against the current when pulling or they won't raise.
They raise because of the force of the water against the buoy-it has nothing to do with current at all.

quote:How do you keep the rope away from your boat
Cleat the rope off to your boat and motor away.
Once the buoy pops up the traps are raised now make a slow half circle back to the traps while someone gathers in the rope-nothing simpler.

When you are using your anchor whinch. How do you keep the rope from wearing out the front of your boat?

When you are using your anchor whinch. How do you keep the rope from wearing out the front of your boat?

Back