96 - 40 hp 2 stroke evinrude issues

1996 evinrude 40hp 2 stroke issues has spark getting fuel won’t start so I rebuild carbs ,put in new rings 100 lbs pressure each cylinder still won’t start pulled fly wheel all good did run memorial weekend then stopped running and won’t start tried either still no start I am baffled I am in Fort Wayne in.,boat yards are 5 weeks out any suggestions would be appreciated thanks Rick

Wierd. If you have spark and compression and still won't run on either, timing has to be off. Could be flooded too i guess, try starting with the throttle wide open to clear the flood condition if its there. Dont give it too much either! No lube! 100 psi compression isn't great btw
Good luck

I had an issue with my 70 Johnson , turned out the kill switch wire in the big red harness plug was almost broken rite at the plug. Would start but soon after dead and no start. Come back later and same thing. Spliced a wire to bypass the plug and it still working yrs later. I think the vibration took it out. I also had a spark plug that the porceline piece was loose causing it to die on another time. Hope you get that smoker going:)

Back