9.9 Kicker leg length question for pod on DE

tyee604

Hi ! All I need your help
I'm podding my 17'6" DE
Main motor will have 25 inch leg
Just wondering what length leg are most people using on their 9.9 hp kicker ?
Please post a photo if you can, would really appreciate it
Thanks

I've always run a long leg 25" kicker too,it keeps the power head well out of the water.You would have to add some height to your pod where the kicker mounts to compensate for the deep V. Pretty common with pods I think.

Really depends on how you build the pod and how high off the water line the mount will sit. Most guys use 25xl while some guys get away with 20inch. You want the leg out of the water when trimmed up and not dragging while getting on step

go 25” and set the cav plate 3-4” under the hull. Use a straight edge along the hull where the kicker will be measure up to the pod and do some math. This seems to be enough for me not to cavitate in swells on my boat legs out of the water and the powerhead is high enough as well..

Mine is 20" and it's fine with pod I have on 18ft malibu 185 which is a larger boat then yours. My main has a 25" based on my hull design, and your DE you would be fine with that. Doesn't drag or lift out of water with swell/waves etc.

A 25" I could see on larger boats, but your draft isn't that much on a 17ft DE. It isn't needed.

The pod fabrication place should know all this. I went with their advice based on the design of pod.

Last edited:
go 25” and set the cav plate 3-4” under the hull. Use a straight edge along the hull where the kicker will be measure up to the pod and do some math. This seems to be enough for me not to cavitate in swells on my boat legs out of the water and the powerhead is high enough as well..

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even if it occasionally drags in the water when you’re getting on step with the main, it’s way better then having a 20” leg come out of the water while it’s fired up and running in troll mode.

Back