4000 Dollars for an impeller change???

Crowle marine has New OEM lower units starting around $2200 us. They also sell aftermarket stuff for less however don't know anything about how good they are.

Same thing happened to my 2014 Merc 115. Had to completely disassemble the engine to replace the shaft. Cost $3500 but fortunately I had bought extended Mercury warranty .. Didnt cost me anything but a loss of fishing time .

Talking to quite a few boaters at the marina lately and it seems that it is a common problem. A couple of guides told me that whenever they buy new motors they have the dealer remove the gear cases and apply fresh lube to the splines that go into the crankshaft. Others told me they don't worry about it as they trade in or lease their engines every few years (LOL).

What a bummer about that motor, heard of it quite a bit. Hope it gets resolved in a reasonable manner.

A good lesson here is to drop your leg and lube that gear every 2 years.

I replace my impeller and grease the gear every year but I put lots of hours on.
Great preventative maintenance.

The grease nipples on the motor don't reach the gear you're talking about?

The grease nipples on the motor don't reach the gear you're talking about?
No, the splines on the shaft engage the splines in the engine crankshaft. In order to grease them, it is necessary to remove the gearcase. IMO they seize together because of the salt water spray that would be in the exhaust system, and because the crankshaft and the shaft are different materials. It is not necessarily rust accumulation but actually the buildup of salt that causes the problem. A word of caution here, do not grease it excessively at the top of the splines, as it may not all squeeze past the splines and not allow you to fully tighten the gearcase upon reassembly

No, the splines on the shaft engage the splines in the engine crankshaft. In order to grease them, it is necessary to remove the gearcase. IMO they seize together because of the salt water spray that would be in the exhaust system, and because the crankshaft and the shaft are different materials. It is not necessarily rust accumulation but actually the buildup of salt that causes the problem. A word of caution here, do not grease it excessively at the top of the splines, as it may not all squeeze past the splines and not allow you to fully tighten the gearcase upon reassembly
GREAT ADVICE. Thanks!

Back