23' Hourston Prop

Mausermike14

Hello everyone,
looking for some advice or a good starting point for a prop size on my 23'Hourston. It's a 1973, 23' Hourston that use to have a 383 stroker and a Volvo 290 DP leg. I have just installed a new pod on it and a 2017 300 Yamaha but have no prop. I was hoping that someone might have the same set up and could point me in the right direction.
Thanks Mike

Id start with a 21 pitch every boat is different you want to achieve mid range WOT. so what ever the manufacture says what the range is .
most are 5000 to 5500 as a example and you want to test when loaded up with gas and gear and water etc you want to strive to be at about 5300. if its too high then go up to a 23 pitch to lower your rpm, if its to low go to a 19 to heighten your rpm. thats the easiest way

Good luck Wolf

Hello everyone,
looking for some advice or a good starting point for a prop size on my 23'Hourston. It's a 1973, 23' Hourston that use to have a 383 stroker and a Volvo 290 DP leg. I have just installed a new pod on it and a 2017 300 Yamaha but have no prop. I was hoping that someone might have the same set up and could point me in the right direction.
Thanks Mike
Give some thought to a 4 blade prop. I don't have any experience with your hull but my 300 Yami loves the Powertech OFS4 prop.

Id start with a 21 pitch every boat is different you want to achieve mid range WOT. so what ever the manufacture says what the range is .
most are 5000 to 5500 as a example and you want to test when loaded up with gas and gear and water etc you want to strive to be at about 5300. if its too high then go up to a 23 pitch to lower your rpm, if its to low go to a 19 to heighten your rpm. thats the easiest way

Good luck Wolf
Thank wolf, I was thinking either 19 or 21 pitch to start with but not to sure on the diameter as well. I’ve seen 14.75-15.75 in all size of pitches.

Thank wolf, I was thinking either 19 or 21 pitch to start with but not to sure on the diameter as well. I’ve seen 14.75-15.75 in all size of pitches.
Try the 16x19 Myles has listed, I think you’ll find that should be pretty close and maybe even perfect. There’s a lot of factors at work here, Pod design proper engine height overall weight/distribution you need to get a reference point as wolf has suggested and then you can adjust accordingly. Getting the right prop although sometimes time consuming and or expensive is worth it you’ll save yourself money at the pump and be much happier with how your boat handles.

Try the 16x19 Myles has listed, I think you’ll find that should be pretty close and maybe even perfect. There’s a lot of factors at work here, Pod design proper engine height overall weight/distribution you need to get a reference point as wolf has suggested and then you can adjust accordingly. Getting the right prop although sometimes time consuming and or expensive is worth it you’ll save yourself money at the pump and be much happier with how your boat handles.

I agree with Brando here. Myles' 19p Eco Enertia has a good chance of being perfect for a 23' Hourston. I just re-powered my 21' Houston cuddy with a 225 four stroke merc, and the first prop I am trialing is a 17p Eco Enertia.

I’m no outboard expert, but for most other boats prop fitting is an art.
Weight of the boat, power of the engine, ratio of the gear, and then the wizard calculates his magic based on desired performance characteristics. Pitch is important, but so is cupping and the materials used.
If it were me I’d be going to Osbourne Propellor or someone like that and paying for their counsel. Why risk having to do it two or three times?!

I’m no outboard expert, but for most other boats prop fitting is an art.
Weight of the boat, power of the engine, ratio of the gear, and then the wizard calculates his magic based on desired performance characteristics. Pitch is important, but so is cupping and the materials used.
If it were me I’d be going to Osbourne Propellor or someone like that and paying for their counsel. Why risk having to do it two or three times?
Yeah, I’m a little gun shy buying a $1000 prop on hoping it’s the right one. Thought maybe someone might have the same setup. When I have the boat all done I’ll weigh it, and then give Osbourne a call.

Thanks Old fisher, what kind of boat are you running your 300 on? What size is your 4 blade prop?
The boat is a 23' Campion Explorer 682 Approx 5700 pounds The prop is 15 1/4 X 17P A great prop for lifting the boat, mid range efficiency, good traction (bite in rough water)

Back