22 Proline cuddy

Peahead

Have always liked Prolines and ran a 295 guiding a few years ago. When we were changing over the thru-hulls on that boat I was impressed with the fiberglass thickness.

Don't know much about this boat yet other than its for sale and a 1994 22 cuddy with I/O, Yamaha leg. Don't know anything about the power yet. Always had outboards so not sure about the I/O on this one..... I'd rather have a pod and outboard but then it would be tougher to find a moorage spot for it being much longer ( Presently I could fit this in my moorage spot)

Any opinions out there on this particular boat - any issues with yamaha legs. What price would be appropriate given all checked out ok by surveyor and mechanic?

3 photos here and 2 to follow:

IMG_5299resproline.jpg

IMG_5300resproline.jpg

IMG_5290resproline.jpg

Looks good and clean.
Dunno about Yammy stern drives
Mike Carrigan posts and answers lots of questions on thehulltruth.
He has been a rep for Proline for quite a while

That boat or another just like it was for sale in sechelt for a long time, sure looks nice and clean. The drive looks like an omc cobra or early volvo sx drive, never heard of yamaha drives, wonder if it is just branded differently and made by volvo??

I dont really like it... It looks clean but there are lots of boats out there and you might be pressed for space in that one.... Older inboard?? Just my opinion and it doesnt mean sqat...
A good deal is only a good deal if your happy with it....

Looks like its in the Gibson's.... Dodge / Chrysler lot... Im I right?

NO SCUPPERS!!! lol
peahead that drive looks like my volvo sx drive apparently pretty bullet proof if it is, suppose to be alot tougher drives then the merc's
make sure its at least a 4.3l, you may not like the 3.0 liter in that size little under powered especially when your packing heavy and I've seen pictures of your catches lol.
looks like a nice boat though, must have a galley sink in it, I see a bunch of thru hulls down the side,starting from the stern looks like bilge and live wells, fish boxes, cuddy sink, and bow drain I believe
and no self bailing deck?
your going to have to cut that swimgrid if you plan on a kicker, doesnt look strong enough to support one.......maybe??
also looks like it has the BC# if it was a local boat from '94 it should have the old K# unless someone applied for the new or it was imported, just a thought
make sure it wasnt one of those flood/hurricane victims

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually used to own one of those! It is a well built boat! :)

I Don't know about that Yamaha outdrive? Mine was 1993, 25th Anniversary and came from the factory with Merc 5.0, Bravo 1 outdrive. Loved the boat; however, it is a heavy boat, around 8,000 pounds loaded.

Mine rode very bow high (which is why the previous owner sold it - his wife couldn't see over the bow while water skiing). When I first got it, it came out of the hole very slow so I dropped the pitch, but it still came out of the hole, VERY bow high.

With that I/O it was also VERY stern heavy. Those "NO SCUPPERS" are flappers and the drains are located in both aft corners of the cockpit draining on each side... and they take on some serious water! To the point I got tired of standing in water and salt water leaking directly on the top of the engine - I plugged the drains with stoppers from the inside of the cockpit. If you raise the engine cowling, you will see a small lip running around the deck. I would highly suggest thinking of that salt water leaking from the rear of that lip, directly on the rear of the engine. And, if you look closer on my Merc that would be right on top of a thing called an "ECU," located in the rear of the engine! I can attest, salt water and ECU's don't get along well. I used to carry a spare ECU just for that reason and those things aren't cheap!

If I was to own another Proline, which I would - it would be an outboard!

Concerning value, boats are worth whatever someone is welling to sell for and someone else is welling to buy for? I would think, if in good condition that boat is probably worth somewhere around the $8,000 mark, retail???? If someone really wants it, maybe more? If the seller is sitting on it and really wants or needs to dump it - LESS! Having been in the car business, if it did happen to be traded in to a dealership they would have - much less in it. If the dealership's appraiser was smart, at all. The term used and comes to mind is - "I stole the trade!"

Look for the engine being repainted. Check the bottom of the engine closely for corrosion, especially around the starter. When repainting to cover corrosion, most won't pull or paint the bottom of the engine. And, whatever you do - Check those raw water jackets! Depending on use, those would be about an every five year change.

that yamaha drive is all yamaha, a buddy has one and has tried to order volvo and omc parts but they were all different

Fished on a 22 before and definately a good balanced ride with a 225 and a pod. BUT definately only room for two.

I was looking at a boat a few years back with that drive...asked a marine mechanic about them and was told they cost a fortune to repair (parts tough to get)

Thanks everyone so much for your thoughts - funny in the meantime I got word of a great deal in Tahsis on a Grady so I was very close to heading there to consider a Grady that came available Sept 4through John at Westview ....but the boat and power turned out to be quite a bit older model ( late 80's) than I am looking for or originally thought it was.

While I like that Proline Cuddy Fish hull alot - and yes it is up here in Gibsons at the Skookum Dodge/Chrystler ( I am back up here for the weekend) I was very concerned about the Yamaha .It did turn out to be all Yamaha ( and I have photos of the motor now) Thanks Charlie !! , yes see what you mean - a fair bit of orange in the motor - decent amount of corrosion - the guy said the 350 CI had been rebuilt ( no new paint to cover corrosion ) Thanks DOF and Lastchance for your recent posts. The hull looked good from the outside but inside and in the Cuddy it is in pretty tough shape and needs a fair bit of TLC. Really musty inside and cusions all worn out and torn . There is a sink in the cuddy and seemed a decent size V birth/cuddy as compared to a walk around ( this is not a walk-around but you can walk around ....if you know what I mean) I have a bunch more photos if anyone interested - she's going for asking of 15999 as I recall but I am sure it won't sell for over 10k and maybe even what Charlie says. I'd say with an aluminum supported hard T top, TLC to the cuddy and deck, a kicker and various other fixes it would need probaly 5-10 grand extra to get it to where I wanted it. Been for sale for over a year and came from the Dodge Chrystler dealer in White Rock. I would consider for 5-7 thousand then maybe could work with it . Maybe still be there next Spring !!!

That looks very nice - seems a pretty decent price but yeah if it had a little later model Yamy on it , I'd be all over that.

Back