21years ago, Thompson River Coho where declared a concern.

I think we are going to see some great coho returns over the next 10 years. Just a hunch I have. Last year a lot of south coast areas had really nice returns that they had not seen in decades. If this trend contoiunes that I think we may see some movement to opening some areas for wild coho retention.

A good study of how we all interpret the world from our own wheelhouse windows and the info we get from the channels we choose to listen to. I well remember that restructuring period. And my own reactions to it including, for the first time, heading out before the season opening with an overwhelming sense of doom. An unusual feeling for someone involved and invested in an industry where optimism is an essential personality trait.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0557-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Coho - Northwest Coast of Vancouver Island - Areas 25 to 27 and 125 to 127 - Coho Fishing Times and Limits - Amendment to FN0467

This notice amends FN0467. The full corrected fishery notice follows.

Continuing conservation concerns for Interior Fraser Coho require that 2019
Coho management measures remain precautionary. Unless otherwise specified
below, the daily limit for Coho is two (2) per day, hatchery-marked only
effective immediately to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019 in Areas 25 to 27 and
125 to 127.

Please be aware that these limits do not apply to fin-fish closed areas, or
Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs). Fin-fish closures for 2019 will be
announced in a subsequent Fishery Notice. Please check the DFO website
referenced at the bottom of this notice for further information

Makes you wonder where they will be on Chinook in 21 years.

Meanwhile, the northern troll fishery caught 176,000 Coho last year, a significant portion of which were undoubtedly south coast origin fish, and we are still on hatchery only. Despite the fact that Coho are a sport priority species, resource managers within D.F.O. are not seeing the situation as an allocation issue at the present time.

Back