21 trophy owners feedback

marula

Im looking to purchase a 21 trophy. Anyone have / had one that could give me feedback. I want a boat that is still easily trailerable and can be launched by one man. I mainly fish off westcoast and trailer to port renfew in the fall but want to expand this to upper island in the future.

Thanks

Trophy’s are ok (Campion is better). Did you know that the factory voids the warranty on Trophy hulls if you ever use a roller trailer? What does that tell you? Sorry in advance to all Trophy owners, please don’t flame me:(. I researched both the Trophy and the Campion fishing machine before settling on the 215 Explorer. I am the first to admit the Trophy looks nicer, it has beautiful lines like a sports car but look past that for functionality. If you do go with a Trophy make sure it’s been re-powered with anything other than those awful “Force” pieces of $hit.

Good luck with your search

campions i agree are better as well ,lay in glass is better then stredded stuff:D

I am using my Trophy 2052 for the third year - Bought it new at Dockside, Kelowna. It has the enclosed hardtop cockpit, PRO package, heater, and the 220 HP 4.3 MPI Vortec I/O engine. The outboard equivilent is a Trophy 2002. Have abour 250 hours now, mostly in the saltchuck - Victoria and Barkley Sound. I spent a lot of time comparing to Grady White, Boston Whaler, and Campion. Tried them all out, and compared $$$ values,warantees,and service. All had great features, but I did like the Trophy cabin setup, and the walkaround ally is very deep, which is great in rough seas. Some of the frustrations on the Trophy I've noticed are: Not many storage compartments ( I added my own ), the fishwell pumpout pickup and screen are not at the very bottom, and it always leaves some crud you have to clean out by hand. Trim tabs are a must buy option also. It comes with the Pro Package. I get excellent service from Dockside, and a few minor warranteee issues which did not keep me off the water, were looked after promptly. I ran the length of the Alberni Inlet last year for 5 days, and we did have a few days with rough water. I ran with the Gradies, Campions, and almost any other type. I took my turn at times in the lead, and was told after on the dock by other boat make owners, they were surprised the Trophy ran so well. I added a 9.9 Merc bigfoot, and lots of electronics. I ordered my Trophy with the tandem galv. trailer with the swing away hitch. I pull it with a 1/2 ton Chev Silverado Crewcab 4 by 4 and you hardly notice it behind you. I've met a lot of Trophy owners, and all have been happy. I would likely be equally happy with a Campion, or Grady, but I chose the Trophy.
Early Trophies were made in the Bayliner plants, and earned its bad name justly. A few years ago US Marine took over Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Trophy, Maxum, Sea Ray, Mercury Marine,etc. etc. and have redesigned the complete Trophy line. My boat is stored in Victoria, and E - Mail me if you want to look at it, or go for a spin next time i'm on the Island.

Very happy with mine as well, Same boat as above. The newer US marine versions are hand laid not chopper gunned! I use a big cooler on the swimgrid for fish rather than cleaning the fishwells each day.Funny to hear peoples versions of what they interpret as true on inperfections of diffrent boat builders! Bash Trophy all you want, I am very pleased with finishing touches under bulkheads, gunnels etc.Fully glassed and nicely gelcoated even were prying eyes don't see. Take a look at some of the other boats, many just strapped in plywood to the underside of the walkaround gunnels for support!
Funny to think it can't handle trailer rollers. Been beating mine some pretty crazy stuff on the west coast the last 3 years, not even a stress crack yet![8D]

I have a 1992 Trophy 2002, and I've had it since new. I love my boat. There are some obvious changes that I have made from stock, such as the power, arch etc, but the boat itself is great. I had one of the "non lemon" Force engines, but now I have a Johnson 140 four stroke(a painted Suzuki) on it, and I can't say enough good things about it on my boat. I spend almost all my time on the west coast and north island, and really like the way the boat handles in the chop and swell. I don't run balls to the wall, but in a good swell and some windwaves, I usually run at about 18 kn into it out to the offshore banks.

I can give you any more details that you would like, so email me if you want. I know that there are definitely better boats out there, and I will get a new one someday, but for now, I really like what I have. I'm sure that this is true of most of you boat owners out there.:)

FishWish

I have the 21' hardtop and love it. Trim tabs are a must,I also installed a hydrofoil that helps control the bow. Trophys have a tendency to run with the bow high in the water so it will pond a bit. Bring the bow down gives the boat a very nice ride in the face of some fairly lumpy offshore chop. Great size to trailer and launch by yourself.
Brokenrod

Trophys are good boats... have a 2302 myself and when orignially looking for a boat thought about the 21' was advised to go with the 23 or would be looking to upgrade again in short time... i am really glad i took the jump when i did!! Would recommend the 23' if you can (1)afford the difference. (2) have a big enough tow vehicle to pull it and (3) are a bigger guy cuz theres actually quite a bit more room.... But both are good boats and you'll be happy with either !!!

If your gonna spend that much money buy something nice trophys are ok but they are no mako grady or striper. I hate the hull design on that boat they just don't make them like the others I mentioned. But hey thats just my opinion. Check out www.boattraderonline.com. There are plenty of boats on the coast that aren't too far away. The way the dollar is now its well worth it.

Back