2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes listening to people reason about a fishery reminds of when I lived in a strata complex, so many fish brains...

Anyway, I think with reason that raising size to 95cm would be beneficial. I know I only do one halibut trip a year and focus on larger fish. But up the size and I think more people would be content focusing on a couple halibut closer to 95cm. My mom worked as a DFO biologist through the 80's. Never was sport fishing brought up as a factor in fish decline. I like the regulations and catch limits. But things have gotten queer when men are reasoning about 5cm reduction and titillating themselves on the benefits of such. Its getting lame. Need a PhD to read regulations today and just when you get familiar they change areas, slots, numbers ext ext ext. ugh. Down to 10 salmon per license now... why bother with slots.

Sometimes listening to people reason about a fishery reminds of when I lived in a strata complex, so many fish brains...

Anyway, I think with reason that raising size to 95cm would be beneficial. I know I only do one halibut trip a year and focus on larger fish. But up the size and I think more people would be content focusing on a couple halibut closer to 95cm. My mom worked as a DFO biologist through the 80's. Never was sport fishing brought up as a factor in fish decline. I like the regulations and catch limits. But things have gotten queer when men are reasoning about 5cm reduction and titillating themselves on the benefits of such. Its getting lame. Need a PhD to read regulations today and just when you get familiar they change areas, slots, numbers ext ext ext. ugh. Down to 10 salmon per license now... why bother with slots.
Shorter season or a full season that is the question of course depending on the available tac. We have to also remember that if a shorter season may work for you or area there are many area's that enjoy the early part or later part of the season to go for there flat cod :)

Last edited:
Well lets see what happeens when july 15th rolls around again ....

Is the size issue, of mostly smaller fish, North America Coast wide? Does it impact the North Coast and Alaska to the same degree,or are there more larger fish still up there? Just wondering if it is because of a migration life cycle or does it hit all areas the same?

Searun and Derby, Thanks for all your efforts and time involved in the politics and then explaining to the various groups including this forum. I know exactly what it takes from my time on the commercial Halibut Advisory Board and as president of the PHMA. There's alot of opinions out there and everyone will never be satisfied but someone has to do the work so Thanks Again

Whats funny is Commercial guys "CANT" keep a fish under 33 inches (83 cm) but thats what they want us to pick on hhhmmm weird isnt it.
And a boat just came in with some unders and is getting fined.
And derby you know what I mean after july 15th ill leave it at that ...

Was out Thur. off Victoria in a friends boat for Hali. One small chicken Hali and some of the largest dogfish I have seen released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back