2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time put these suggestions up at your local SFAC meetings. Not on a fishing forum after regulation goes out after the fact.

Each area has the opportunity to put these needs abd wants ahead of time usually when meet in spring. As was posted the SFAB purposes the regulations to DFO based on your input by each of chairs in each area.

Personally the meetings are very poorly attended. So unfortunately if you don't show up your voice isn't heard. Doesn't work for you than show up next time.

The thing we hear is we want long season. That's the theme of each area. Bigger fish etc end up with early closure.

If people want bigger fish and shorter season than that is result unfortunately with the TAC we are allowed.
Not sure if this was in response to my question or just a general comment to all.
Either way, to clarify for my own post. Whenever there is a change made there is normally some rationale behind it. I did not attended a meeting in my area but normally read the minutes posted on this forum. I don't recall reading anything regarding this size reducing, hence my question on why a reduction to 85cm from 90cm.

I only do single day trips and not affected by it so it is not a complaint but just looking to educate myself on the topic so that I would be able to in turn educate when in discussion with others. I find the "discussions" on these topics on this forum very beneficial and appreciate all the folks that comment to provide a better understanding for all.

Thanks DieselBeast for your response.

Our share of allocation this year is down a little and we have a overage of from the 2023 season just over 9300 plus pounds. Looking at our catch in 2023 we had open the 2 unders per day a month earlier then we had in pass years which ended up putting us over ... with that being said this is the same regulation as last year that we started with with the under being a little smaller 2in ? Remember we have the ability to make in season changes to 2 or 3 unders a day depending on how we are eating our tac up. Another thing is the iphc is find the large fish are starting to head out of the catch and a couple newer smaller fish are recruiting in.. this means you will be for most part will be catching smaller fish. Hope this helps

Lots of questions about why. Answering those is about as complicated as the data analysis the SFAB and DFO employ to determine regulations choices....so, for what it is, here is a long winded explanation.

I was directly involved on the team engaged to review our options against the available TAC, and attended the IPHC as part of the Canadian Conference Board delegation. As noted there were several issues we had to consider. First, the IPHC set line survey data (and science advice) demonstrated that the biomass is dominated by 1 age class (2012 spawning cohort), and the larger, older fish are aging out of the fishery. Set line data confirmed smaller sizes encountered and not a lot of evidence to suggest there are more younger age class recruits coming up in the biomass. Also troubling is the trend this is lowest biomass in 30 years. The spawning biomass is currently estimated to be at 42 percent of its unfished state, near the lowest level observed since the 1970s.

Against that data, the IPHC decided to reduce the coast wide TAC resulting in the BC recreational allocation decreasing by the 4.57% reduction agreed to by IPHC. On top of that, the recreational fishery caught more fish last season than our TAC. Initially it was thought to be 9,800 lbs, but upon further analysis of data (late catch logs etc), it was determined that the Rec fishery was actually 30,000+ lbs over last season. This overage was deducted from the already reduced 2024 TAC. To frame the impact, 30,000 lbs is on average the total TAC the recreational fishery uses between February to April or sometimes early May each season.

We completed a detailed analysis of new data that came available only this season from the iREC survey. The survey was changed to ask respondents to look at their license to provide the actual size in cm recorded on their license for all halibut. This was/is an amazing tool because for the first time ever, that allowed me to run an analysis breaking down the numbers of halibut reported for each cm size of reported catch. That analysis demonstrated that the vast majority of the 2023 catch actually was fish under 90cm. This should not be surprising, because the data indicates the biomass is now dominated by smaller, younger fish.

Brief Summary of the data results from iREC:

The 2023 IREC Data Segment Analysis and its Source Data is very informative of distribution of
catch as it relates to length. A sample of iREC containing 15,450 total pieces caught for 2023. For
purposes of this analysis, it examined those in the iREC data in the 60 – 126 cm range, which
typically are those encountered and retained (% of all catch) in the 2023 fisheries.

This segment totals 11,939 pieces or 77.3% of all reported catch (pieces) fell within the segment.
Sample indicates majority of recreational halibut influencing use of available TAC are smaller fish
below 90cm, which represents 128,994 pounds or 67.4% of the total pounds caught in the entire

segment of fish in the sample.

So, in examining various options it was very apparent that large fish are not the predominant size encountered in the fishery, and use of TAC isn't driven by larger fish, rather the opposite. So looking at last season when we appeared to be tracking well under our expected catch in June (based on Feb - May data that was available to us), we decided to increase the daily possession from 1 to 2 small under 90cm fish. Had we known (had data evidence) that smaller fish were driving use of TAC, we certainly would not have increased the daily limit to 2 on July 8th last season.

Learning from this data analysis and our experience last season, the SFAB decided to implement a 1 fish/day possession limit, but retain the choice model where you can have in possession 2 under 85cm or only 1 under 126. Note, we left the large size at the 2023 slot of 126cm....but reduced the smaller fish to 85cm.

Why reduce the smaller fish?

As we learned from the data analysis, small fish dominate the fishery encounters and use of available TAC. So if we were to build in a safety buffer that increased the likelihood of achieving a full season (Feb to Dec) by employing the best tools we had = to reduce the smaller fish by 5 cm from 90 to 85, and to stick with a 1 fish daily possession limit until at least August. Why hold off until August at earliest before we examine amending the 1 fish daily possession limit this season? - well because the creel data available to us is always 1 month behind the date you make a decision because it takes time to collect creel data, overflight data and crunch the numbers to produce an estimate. Most of the halibut are caught in June - August. So we really won't have a good sense of the catch trend until we have June and July data in our hands.

If the data demonstrates we are well under our available TAC, we have 2 additional tools we can implement. First is we could increase the daily possession limit to 2 under 85cm. Second (negotiated with the US at the IPHC) is ability to increase daily possession limit to 3. We cannot change the size limits in-season because those are printed at the beginning of the season as a condition of license on your tidal licenses.

Last edited:
Very informative thank you

I know the politics so I know this would never happen, but it does seem you could have a minimum size limit with no max size.

While also letting the small fish size up.

Yes I know ere only 15% of the catch so not that big of an impact on the biomass so wouldn’t work

Very informative thank you

I know the politics so I know this would never happen, but it does seem you could have a minimum size limit with no max size.

While also letting the small fish size up.

Yes I know ere only 15% of the catch so not that big of an impact on the biomass so wouldn’t work
Potentially possible based on the mathematics - but the issue for many people is there was a very strong concern that without some buffers the risk of early season closure was unacceptably high.

Lots of questions about why. Answering those is about as complicated as the data analysis the SFAB and DFO employ to determine regulations choices....so, for what it is, here is a long winded explanation.

I was directly involved on the team engaged to review our options against the available TAC, and attended the IPHC as part of the Canadian Conference Board delegation. As noted there were several issues we had to consider. First, the IPHC set line survey data (and science advice) demonstrated that the biomass is dominated by 1 age class (2012 spawning cohort), and the larger, older fish are aging out of the fishery. Set line data confirmed smaller sizes encountered and not a lot of evidence to suggest there are more younger age class recruits coming up in the biomass. Also troubling is the trend this is lowest biomass in 30 years. The spawning biomass is currently estimated to be at 42 percent of its unfished state, near the lowest level observed since the 1970s.

Against that data, the IPHC decided to reduce the coast wide TAC resulting in the BC recreational allocation decreasing by the 4.57% reduction agreed to by IPHC. On top of that, the recreational fishery caught more fish last season than our TAC. Initially it was thought to be 9,800 lbs, but upon further analysis of data (late catch logs etc), it was determined that the Rec fishery was actually 30,000+ lbs over last season. This overage was deducted from the already reduced 2024 TAC. To frame the impact, 30,000 lbs is on average the total TAC the recreational fishery uses between February to April or sometimes early May each season.

We completed a detailed analysis of new data that came available only this season from the iREC survey. The survey was changed to ask respondents to look at their license to provide the actual size in cm recorded on their license for all halibut. This was/is an amazing tool because for the first time ever, that allowed me to run an analysis breaking down the numbers of halibut reported for each cm size of reported catch. That analysis demonstrated that the vast majority of the 2023 catch actually was fish under 90cm. This should not be surprising, because the data indicates the biomass is now dominated by smaller, younger fish.

The 2023 IREC Data Segment Analysis and its Source Data is very informative of distribution of
catch as it relates to length. A sample of iREC containing 15,450 total pieces caught for 2023. For
purposes of this analysis, it examined those in the iREC data in the 60 – 126 cm range, which
typically are those encountered and retained (% of all catch) in the 2023 fisheries.

This segment totals 11,939 pieces or 77.3% of all reported catch (pieces) fell within the segment.
Sample indicates majority of recreational halibut influencing use of available TAC are smaller fish
below 90cm, which represents 128,994 pounds or 67.4% of the total pounds caught in the entire

So, in examining various options it was very apparent that large fish are not the predominant size encountered in the fishery, and use of TAC isn't driven by larger fish, rather the opposite. So looking at last season when we appeared to be tracking well under our expected catch in June (based on Feb - May data that was available to us), we decided to increase the daily possession from 1 to 2 small under 90cm fish. Had we known (had data evidence) that smaller fish were driving use of TAC, we certainly would not have increased the daily limit to 2 on July 8th last season.

Learning from this data analysis and our experience last season, the SFAB decided to implement a 1 fish/day possession limit, but retain the choice model where you can have in possession 2 under 85cm or only 1 under 126. Note, we left the large size at the 2023 slot of 126cm....but reduced the smaller fish to 85cm.

As we learned from the data analysis, small fish dominate the fishery encounters and use of available TAC. So if we were to build in a safety buffer that increased the likelihood of achieving a full season (Feb to Dec) by employing the best tools we had = to reduce the smaller fish by 5 cm from 90 to 85, and to stick with a 1 fish daily possession limit until at least August. Why hold off until August at earliest before we examine amending the 1 fish daily possession limit this season? - well because the creel data available to us is always 1 month behind the date you make a decision because it takes time to collect creel data, overflight data and crunch the numbers to produce an estimate. Most of the halibut are caught in June - August. So we really won't have a good sense of the catch trend until we have June and July data in our hands.

If the data demonstrates we are well under our available TAC, we have 2 additional tools we can implement. First is we could increase the daily possession limit to 2 under 85cm. Second (negotiated with the US at the IPHC) is ability to increase daily possession limit to 3. We cannot change the size limits in-season because those are printed at the beginning of the season as a condition of license on your tidal licenses.
Is it only Halibut that have the slot limit printed “as a condition of license”? I know government works in mysterious ways but it seems strange they would take away a useful tool like fish size from those managing the catch. Have they ever explained why they did this? Just curious.

We have wasted so many man hours and people putting on thinking caps having meetings for days and discussing fish to determine a 5cm reduction is man playing god. This makes no difference. Its man trying to pat himself on the back, look what I can do. The fishery is not affected by sport, its enhanced.

We have wasted so many man hours and people putting on thinking caps having meetings for days and discussing fish to determine a 5cm reduction is man playing god. This makes no difference. Its man trying to pat himself on the back, look what I can do. The fishery is not affected by sport, its enhanced.
Little puzzled by this post - its as simple as Canada is assigned a TAC that represents a sustainable number of fish that can be removed without risking over fishing the halibut stock. Halibut stocks are at a 30 year low, and in BC there isn't enough TAC available for a full season if we didn't implement slot limits to slow down the catch engine enough to create a fishing opportunity that lasts the entire season from Feb - December without significant risk of an early closure if we run out of available TAC.

Is it only Halibut that have the slot limit printed “as a condition of license”? I know government works in mysterious ways but it seems strange they would take away a useful tool like fish size from those managing the catch. Have they ever explained why they did this? Just curious.
Great question. The current regulatory framework available to manage recreational fisheries is extremely cumbersome. Changing that framework is even more so. Believe me, many have been trying. It would take me pages of text to explain. Long story short, at this moment we have no tools to make quick changes to things such as slot limits. Those need to be printed onto a licence condition and once on there cannot be changed in-season. One tool we do have is what is called a Variation Order (VO), which the Regional Director in Pacific Region can sign off to make variations to daily and possession limits - however, there is no current provision to vary slot lengths. This would require major changes to the regulatory framework to set out a series of slot lengths that can be "varied" using a VO. Getting the framework amended is a huge up hill battle navigating the mud pit in Ottawa.

Little puzzled by this post - its as simple as Canada is assigned a TAC that represents a sustainable number of fish that can be removed without risking over fishing the halibut stock. Halibut stocks are at a 30 year low, and in BC there isn't enough TAC available for a full season if we didn't implement slot limits to slow down the catch engine enough to create a fishing opportunity that lasts the entire season from Feb - December without significant risk of an early closure if we run out of available TAC.
i think the sentiment is the we as sport fishers and our micro percentage of tac, make no difference in the biomass.. we are just the lowest hanging fruit dealing with the scraps offered by industry/jimmy and government/jimmy.

Very informative. Thank you for all the hard work you folks put in.

I appreciate it.

Do you know what the average size halibut was in the commercial fishery last year?

Thanks for that. I can't recall the FISS survey average weight off hand, other than to say it also demonstrated the biomass is largely comprised of small halibut.

This analysis is another way to describe the effects of small changes in length on how much TAC is used - and now that we have a new tool which is the iREC data that breaks down numbers within each cm length segment, that brings even more capability for us to examine the data and develop a better understanding between the actual catch reported and the pounds of TAC that represents. It was really clear from the iREC data that the majority of recreational catch was under 90cm in length. If you look at the length to weight ratio data, the difference between 90cm and 85 cm fish is only 2.6 lbs - doesn't sound like much.

However, that break point shifts behaviour significantly in a regulation regime where anglers have the choice to keep 2 halibut in total possession under a regime where you can only retain 1 fish over 85cm. A 85 to 90cm fish is pretty decent catch, so all those anglers who retain one over 85cm can only retain 1 fish in total possession. That drives an entirely different way the TAC will be used up when you remove the retention of a second fish under 90cm. Similarly, if we find ourselves in a situation where our TAC usage is well under where we planned, ramping up to allowing daily retention of under 85cm fish from 1 to 2 or even 3 in one day will go a long way towards optimization of the TAC we have to work with.

sea ya at the chicken ranch. ugh...

Unless there is a ton of food available that leads to faster growth rates, then you could see some shifting up into the 90cm + range. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back