I’ve had bycatch too. Sandy bottom, 200’, trolling. But couldn’t reproduce intentionally. Nice to have options vs winter springs.

Work good on all species.

Those are smaller so tough to go deep or fish in much current. I like to try to find bait and jig just below it or on top of it. If I don’t find bait I just free fall to the bottom and jig a few pulls, reel up a few cranks, and repeat. In august I was hooking coho 10’ from the boat as I was bring it up like this.

Looking for advice on how to fish Shelter Point. Going out tomorrow with a friend and I've never fished that area. Do you troll on north side of point, south side, or directly across from point ? Fish in 200 feet of water and set cannonball close to bottom? Please and thank you.

1707853669703.png

Looking for advice on how to fish Shelter Point. Going out tomorrow with a friend and I've never fished that area. Do you troll on north side of point, south side, or directly across from point ? Fish in 200 feet of water and set cannonball close to bottom? Please and thank you.

View attachment 103023

Changes day by day and hour by hour, the ones catching fish regularly are not the ones doing the same thing over and over relying on luck. The fish are everywhere, I stay away from other boats for the relaxation aspect and the only thing I really look for are bottom structure and how the current would effect fish holding and feeding there.

I've caught sizeable winter springs anywhere form 130' to 200' at shelter point, working one contour is not a guarantee of success!

The boats have been well of Shelter the past few weeks. One guy I know who has been boing well has been dragging 175-200 with 15 pound leads. Go where you see the other boats!

Hey all thinking about trying some camping up around Pacific Playground this spring. I read back through last year's reports and sounds like salmon will be closed as per usual, but maybe some ling to target? April/May timeframe I'm thinking. Will be up in McNeill in June, and Esperanza in August, so just filling in the fishing calendar! 17' Arima. Reccomendations on timing and tactics welcome.
Keep in mind Lings don’t open until May when picking your dates

Keep in mind Lings don’t open until May when picking your dates
Thanks! This would be my first year targeting them. For some reason I thought they opened about the same time winter Chinook closes, but I guess not. Regardless, I always check regs before I go to fish so wouldn't be inadvertently fishing out of season. But would have sucked to book a site too early and find out too late. With the way they release in season changes, it doesn't seem like there is any good way to guess when things may open or close, except with the benefit of experience. Which I admittedly, lack. If there is a place I can look at the regs on a historical basis I would certainly do that, but I know that what happened in prior years doesn't guarantee the same thing in future years.

Thanks! This would be my first year targeting them. For some reason I thought they opened about the same time winter Chinook closes, but I guess not. Regardless, I always check regs before I go to fish so wouldn't be inadvertently fishing out of season. But would have sucked to book a site too early and find out too late. With the way they release in season changes, it doesn't seem like there is any good way to guess when things may open or close, except with the benefit of experience. Which I admittedly, lack. If there is a place I can look at the regs on a historical basis I would certainly do that, but I know that what happened in prior years doesn't guarantee the same thing in future years.
Yeah unfortunately DFO manages the website like they manage the fisheries.

IMG_1028.jpegIMG_1033.jpeg
I’ve been able to get out, quite a bit lately. The weather has been great and the winds have been calm. All the local good spots have been productive. Just off the bottom in 185-200 with the rigger at 200-240, has got the most action. Skinny G glo spoon, like the top one (that’s a old beat up version), in the picture has been the top producer. Most fish have empty bellys, but a few had smaller herring in their stomachs.

Last edited:
I just use the data provided by the CR tide guide and add about 20 minutes to it for the Hump/Red Can Area. I also use the Twin Islands data if as an additional measure for calculating the flow for the Green Can area.

Quick trip out on the long weekend.
Hit Lewis Channel on Sunday, did okay on the prawns, lots of squat lobster bycatch.
Not a sniff on the few tacks we did for salmon.
Sunday was the usual opening day prawnageddon around Surge.
Good size and very few berried prawns.
Also found some crab in the area too.
Great feast with good friends and their kids.

Any local prawning reports? Twin Islands? Marina Island? Twin Used to be the go to spot but have kinda lost faith in it.

Back