2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to winter in 2 weeks, sounds like fishing is good out there, I am super stoked to say the least. Is salt ice still available at the gov dock? Any insight is appreciated. So sorry to hear about Mike. Man!!

Just back this morning from a week at WH. Fishing at Cliff and Kaines really died after last weekend. Big southeast blow last Monday. Fish offshore were deep 200 to 240. Difficult to keep pinks off at times. Not lights out but limits of slot size springs if you worked for them. Ling Fishing was great as usual. Maybe that milky blue water is an issue for the salmon.

Just back this morning from a week at WH. Fishing at Cliff and Kaines really died after last weekend. Big southeast blow last Monday. Fish offshore were deep 200 to 240. Difficult to keep pinks off at times. Not lights out but limits of slot size springs if you worked for them. Ling Fishing was great as usual. Maybe that milky blue water is an issue for the salmon.
Anyone know what was the cause of that milky blue water? First time I’ve seen it like that up there that I can remember.

Trip from July 5 to the 15th was on point Springs at Grant Bay,coho at Kains and ling and Hali out at the pinnacles in Brooks Bay. full limit a halibut also from Brooks.

Attachments

• IMG_7260.jpeg
    IMG_7260.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5420.jpeg
    IMG_5420.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 163
heading to winter harbour in 10 days. Is it worth while taking crab traps?
Only if you are putting in at Cole harbour and don't mind leaving them alone for however long you are at WH. If that is a yes PM me and I will tell you where to set. Make sure you have at least 200 feet of rope on your traps. You need to set deep because of sea otters.

Looks like start of some tuna water of brooks! Might have to give it a try next week
I will be there starting tommorow for 5 days.... white Hewescraft Alaskan 270. Captain Ron on the radio... does look like water is over 61 degrees... would be interested in heading out for sure especially with another boat..... keep an eye out for me tommorow afternoon.

Wondering what the judges and jury have to say about which month is "best" at Winter Harbour for salmon and ground fish?

June? Seems like the weather can be spotty (Juneuary conditions can persist)- this year was exceptional on the North Island with little to no rain and no major wind issues. Looked like salmon was hot and I assume the ground fish are more plentiful at that start of the season than at the end...

July? This is the only month I've fished out of WH. Inside at spots like Cliffe and Kains, it seems like the salmon can be hit and miss, but if you hit the right day it can be exceptional. Otherwise outside is pretty consistent. Ground fish within the 5 mile halo around Kains seem pretty picked over and longer runs seem necessary to have good consistent days. This year it seemed like the fishing in July was exceptional relative to the last few years, though the experienced ones might say that this year was just a decent year compared to what it used to be...

August? Seems like this is the time for bigger fish most places, but it also seems like Marble fish have already passed for the most part. But bigger coho are always fun, and I imagine that the off shore salmon troll is still good for all species. Wonder if the fog becomes a persistent issue like it is on the East side around Hardy and McNeill.

What month would you choose for WH and why?

Our crew have been having this same discussion for years.
It seems to always come down to weather.
One year was a full moon and the chinook were scarce.
One year had big tides during the day, so hard to get a hali.
Most years had a couple of windy days, so that limits where you can fish.
The only answer we can agree on is that we need more time at WH to fish so we can hit some spots and see what the action is for that year!

Fished Sunday and picked up some nice springs off Kains. Fried my brand new impeller yesterday & getting a new one shipped to Hardy tomorrow morning. Hoping to get me & my son back out again for tomorrow evenings bite.

It’s hot off winter , will be up in hardy with our grady 330 from Sunday - Sunday . Contemplating a run around the horn but not sure . If anyone is going to be fishing tuna next week out of winter let me know , experienced ex guide with lots of gas money to blow!

Attachments

• FD0EF7DB-B0F0-4B50-86CB-0CEA0A4E061D.png
    FD0EF7DB-B0F0-4B50-86CB-0CEA0A4E061D.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 61
Any reports on if the Springs still kicking around? We will be hitting coal harbour Tuesday morning for our first trip back in years.

Be out in a red Hewescraft hard top with a black roof rack, if you see us give us a wave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back