2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be arriving June 17, and staying till the 25th. Staying in Olis double floater. Stop in for a beer, we can do some targeting together.
Nice, I’ll be arriving in the 17th as well (late) and staying on the boat (tied up at the Outpost) until the 22.
Always glad to meet some new folks and bs fishing… say Hi if you see an older green aluminum Sylvan.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 67
Just doing some wishful thinking here and trying to plan the timing of a summer trip or two - hope you don't mind a quick question on regs.

Am I correct in that one is only ever allowed to keep 2 chinook in 27-2, and that the only size limit that applies is min. 45cm (for 27-2 specially)? Currently planning June as a starter trip. Post July 15th a max size (77cm) for 27-7 would be implemented. Obviously this was last year but I assume it's reasonably safe (knock on wood) to assume it would be the same in 2023. In addition I would be able to box 2 wild or hatch coho (if they are around).

Browsing through notices it appears April 1-Nov we can keep 3 ling >65cm, 2 hali <90 or 1 over and 3 rockfish. On Aug 20 last year the increased to 3 hali <90cm (I assume this is a-typical?).

Are there any significant dates, or undesirable timeframes for prawn/crab?

Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 88305
Where did u find this map? I have searched DFOs site and I do not see it. Thx.

Where did u find this map? I have searched DFOs site and I do not see it. Thx.
Ah man I can’t remember anymore… it was a google search of DFO Quatsino Chinook or something. The coho map is on this page- https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s27-eng.html.

Anyway we had an amazing trip; lots of Chinook, biggest being 21lbs; biggest ling was just over 25. Some nice vermilions, a cabazon and an octo to round it out. Spent a fair bit of time and fuel trying to find hali’s w/o any success. The only ones we saw at the dock were little guys that were picked up trolling.

Edit: should add in here many thanks to everyone who has shared info through prior reports and those that took time to respond to my PMs, seriously helpful going in with a little confidence.
IMG_4295.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Yup picked them up in the prawn traps. I am curious how do you smoke them recipe please!
Pretty easy, I find they take on the salt like a white fish. 4 parts brown sugar to one part kosher salt. Brine over night. Smoke with as little heat as possible, for approximately 4 hours. You can tell by firmness when done. They always firm up more when they cool.

Pretty easy, I find they take on the salt like a white fish. 4 parts brown sugar to one part kosher salt. Brine over night. Smoke with as little heat as possible, for approximately 4 hours. You can tell by firmness when done. They always firm up more when they cool.
Just back from WH, spent 5 full days out there with bumpy to calm waters! Springs were very plentiful, at times we couldn’t get the second line down, as the line was ripped out of the clip as it hit 133 ft. Spoons and flash flies were great, however the white Glo cuddle fish was the champ. Rubber seemed to get the larger fish. Springs up to 25llbs, Hali’s were hit and miss, but got our position. Lings didn’t disappoint as usual. I’m not a fan of anything over 15 lbs, but biggest was 44lbs. Had an amazing trip as usual, and came home with positions for all. Back up there for tuna September 9th for a week for tuna and all the rest for a week! Anyone wants to join in on the buddy boat thing, please reach out and join in. Tight lines.

Just back from WH, spent 5 full days out there with bumpy to calm waters! Springs were very plentiful, at times we couldn’t get the second line down, as the line was ripped out of the clip as it hit 133 ft. Spoons and flash flies were great, however the white Glo cuddle fish was the champ. Rubber seemed to get the larger fish. Springs up to 25llbs, Hali’s were hit and miss, but got our position. Lings didn’t disappoint as usual. I’m not a fan of anything over 15 lbs, but biggest was 44lbs. Had an amazing trip as usual, and came home with positions for all. Back up there for tuna September 9th for a week for tuna and all the rest for a week! Anyone wants to join in on the buddy boat thing, please reach out and join in. Tight lines.
Yeah buddy had on a pearl cuddle fish that he never took off, it did well. I had good success with a grandslam bucktail in pearl, the 5” model doubled for salmon and ling.

I didn’t get to do as much slow pitch jigging as I wanted but when I broke a couple of the Peche SUD lures out the last day they worked quite well for ling and rockfish. Will definitely keep one strung up for next time!

Sounds like fishing has been good! Excited for our upcoming trip. After Hours, if you don’t me asking where did you have the most success for Chinook?

Sounds like fishing has been good! Excited for our upcoming trip. After Hours, if you don’t me asking where did you have the most success for Chinook?
There was lots of fish in behind the light at times, gooding and Cliff were also producing, but smaller fish.
Just around the corner from Lawn point in brooks bay was hot! And fish in the mid to high 20’s.

Do you ever clean the squid to freeze and pack home ? If so, is it an easy process ? Gonna be up in a few days.
We just cut the tentacle portion off just in front of the eyes, pull that little ball out in the centre of the tentacles. That’s the beak, then good to go. The rest of the squid, just slide your knife up inside to the tip to open up, scrape the guts out, and the plastic looking piece of cartilage, and it is good to go as well.
We vac sealed about 15 good sized feeds, and froze! The other couple hundred were served as appies for a couple nights in a row! They were a hit amungst everyone in both sides of the double floater. Good Luck, and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back