Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why so many comments were around him playing a big fish. He wasn't playing any fish with no rod in his hand... unless his downrigger was playing the fish for him. maybe a new way to catching fish is yelling in the back and hoping the fish would jump into his boat.
Could it be he had hooked his downrigger on a trap line and was talking about his downrigger line ? Just guessing.

After a week long trip to the Okanagan it was back to fishing today. Fished 830 to noon at the Vic waterfront. Got a 24 inch spring in the first 20 minutes and let it go, then a clipped Coho kept it. Then at 1030 got a 78 cm spring which was golden in color and clipped. dropped the head off at ESQ Anglers.
We fished today in 100 ft of water and 70 ft on the DR. Used extra large bait.

I talked with four other fisherman and all had nothing except a hit here and there, so it appears most of the springs have moved on. Time to get the Coho gear out and head to off of Sooke and into the deeper water.

Attachments

• Sept 11 2023.jpg
    Sept 11 2023.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 59
After a week long trip to the Okanagan it was back to fishing today. Fished 830 to noon at the Vic waterfront. Got a 24 inch spring in the first 20 minutes and let it go, then a clipped Coho kept it. Then at 1030 got a 78 cm spring which was golden in color and clipped. dropped the head off at ESQ Anglers.
We fished today in 100 ft of water and 70 ft on the DR. Used extra large bait.

I talked with four other fisherman and all had nothing except a hit here and there, so it appears most of the springs have moved on. Time to get the Coho gear out and head to off of Sooke and into the deeper water.
That’s good Doug will get that head into the freezer I loved to know where these fish have come from it’s lasted for 6 weeks best fishing 30 odd yrs or more 🐟. Gary

Sundance
Attached is a copy of the DFO head report for May 2023. I submitted 4 heads from the Victoria area in May (for clients) and receive all the info on each head I submit.
2 out of the 4 heads had CWTs and both US fish. I have never had 50% of the fish with CWTs.

Big Creek Hatchery, Oregon. A long way from home.
Tulalip Creek, Washington

I have all my guide reports on every head submitted since 2010 and the pile is now 1.5 inches high. Mostly reports are from the Sooke area. I have a good idea of where a lot of fish are from and when they are in the Sooke area. I've only fished the Vic waterfront the last couple of years so I do not have as much info on the waterfront. But I did note that fish we caught in the winter with CWTs are US fish and summer fish with CWTs are Canadian fish. I guess we will know in Feb, where the heads submitted this summer came from.

Attachments

• Guide report May 2023.jpg
    Guide report May 2023.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 73
  • May 2023 CWT tag report.jpg
    May 2023 CWT tag report.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Guide reports 2010 to 2023.jpg
    Guide reports 2010 to 2023.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 70
Fished 7 to 1030 today and decided to try the Vic waterfront one more time for springs. First 15 minutes got one and then it went dead until 930 when we got a clipped winter spring and then another nice size spring. Fished in 100 ft of water and fish caught at 70 ft on the DR and on bait.
dropped off the head at Esq Anglers.

Attachments

• VW Sept 15 2023  1.jpg
    VW Sept 15 2023 1.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 70
Fished the waterfront this morning with a buddy 6-8 without a bite but we did see doug bring in his first fish and that gave me a little hope. My buddy had to be back in at 8:30 so I dropped him off at the launch, stretched my legs and went back out to try my luck solo. Within about 10 minutes got a 50cm ish spring to the boat,easy release and kept going.
And then a little after 9 found what I was looking for!! Pin Popper!!Played him for a bit, and let him make a run or two while I raised the cannon ball. With the ball up, quickly put the rod in the holder to pivot the DR and he made another huge run.
Finally got him to the boat, prepped my coordination skills with rod way up in my left hand and net in the other, and then he made another run! FINALY got him back up where I wanted and was able to net him and get him in the boat. Next thing I notice is 2 seals in my prop wash, one of them was already towing a flasher. Luckily not mine.
Pulled my other line up and called it a day.
Pretty nice way to end the Chinook season!
79cm 15#

Attachments

• 30FF6785-3D89-45FC-9E00-F81D357DB571.jpeg
    30FF6785-3D89-45FC-9E00-F81D357DB571.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 54
  • BE757CB9-733E-4B06-BA46-791662FBD83B.jpeg
    BE757CB9-733E-4B06-BA46-791662FBD83B.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 55
Fished the waterfront this morning with a buddy 6-8 without a bite but we did see doug bring in his first fish and that gave me a little hope. My buddy had to be back in at 8:30 so I dropped him off at the launch, stretched my legs and went back out to try my luck solo. Within about 10 minutes got a 50cm ish spring to the boat,easy release and kept going.
And then a little after 9 found what I was looking for!! Pin Popper!!Played him for a bit, and let him make a run or two while I raised the cannon ball. With the ball up, quickly put the rod in the holder to pivot the DR and he made another huge run.
Finally got him to the boat, prepped my coordination skills with rod way up in my left hand and net in the other, and then he made another run! FINALY got him back up where I wanted and was able to net him and get him in the boat. Next thing I notice is 2 seals in my prop wash, one of them was already towing a flasher. Luckily not mine.
Pulled my other line up and called it a day.
Pretty nice way to end the Chinook season!
79cm 15#
If it was a green and white glow flasher, it was mine! Took it with my fish a couple of weeks ago, off the breakwater!

Finally got a break from work / family and managed to get out this afternoon. A tad sloppy so it was a work out fishing solo. Slow from 3-5 ish with a few small springs then I got a nice double header of a 65-70ish cm spring and a wild coho released both and was almost instantly rewarded with a 88 spring as I was getting the 2nd rod back down. Trolled around for another hour and a bit and got 2 more smaller wild coho and decided I had enough.

A few other boats out but not the chaos I saw a few weeks back

Finally got a break from work / family and managed to get out this afternoon. A tad sloppy so it was a work out fishing solo. Slow from 3-5 ish with a few small springs then I got a nice double header of a 65-70ish cm spring and a wild coho released both and was almost instantly rewarded with a 88 spring as I was getting the 2nd rod back down. Trolled around for another hour and a bit and got 2 more smaller wild coho and decided I had enough.

Why did you throw back a 65-70cm spring?

I would guess the dance card is likely close to full, and an 88 would be in the 20+ lb range right now.

Only have 2 spaces left, I did really consider whacking it since it would have been a definite keeper size for me anytime from Oct until April. Just got to get the kids and wife out now for the winter fish.

I would have put the bigger fish at around 18-20lb range.

Went out off Oak Bay for a couple of hour to see if we could luck into a halibut. Only one good hit with a few strong head shakes. Tried for Ling on the way in. Spent more time trying to find a 12" greenling to use for bait than we did to catch two decent Ling cod. At the end of it all, the little greenling swam away with just pierced lip and a little road rash.

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_141151037_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230916_141151037_HDR.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Went out off Oak Bay for a couple of hour to see if we could luck into a halibut. Only one good hit with a few strong head shakes. Tried for Ling on the way in. Spent more time trying to find a 12" greenling to use for bait than we did to catch two decent Ling cod. At the end of it all, the little greenling swam away with just pierced lip and a little road rash.
Which current prediction have you found to most accurate, Discovery or Trial Island? I suspect Discovery?
On another note tried Constance Bank on Friday, the prediction from Trial on my Lowrance was for just over a kt but man it was closer to 2.5. Didn’t stay!

Last edited:
Fished the Victoria waterfront today from 7 to 1115. Got out there and on the first pass got a fish on and lost it at the boat. I guess I should have shown the guy (from Toronto) how to use the rod and reel sooner.

Then from 715 to 1030 nothing but rocking and rolling in the waves. 1030 got a 8lb in the boat. It was slow and we never saw a net out on any of the 12 boats out fishing.

Fished in 100 ft of water, 65 ft on the DR and used bait.

Attachments

• VW Sept 17 2023.jpg
    VW Sept 17 2023.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back