Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of Cattle pt. at 9:00 towards the flats. After only 10 mins of trolling in 75' of water, a soft hit on the rod tip that went heavy. Fortunate to boat a chunky 80cm 16 pounder. Would love to see one of those 80cm 20 pounders.;) 20 mins later another reel a running, this time a short distance release of a ~ 10 lb'r. Kept at it for another 2 hrs with only one. another smaller chinook. Herring aide skinny G.

Feel a little bad but I lost my temper a little bit with the whale watch gals. The usual paparazzi of whale harassers plus this other little boat leap frogging ahead telling me I shouldn't be fishing within 1500 m's around the whales. Polite and all but aren't they just another propeller? Anyways, I ranted a bit and yes, I did forget my meds this morning. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_183345.jpg
    IMG_20230904_183345.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Out of Cattle pt. at 9:00 towards the flats. After only 10 mins of trolling in 75' of water, a soft hit on the rod tip that went went heavy. Fortunate to boat a chunky 80cm 16 pounder. Would love to see one of those 80cm 20 pounders.;) 20 mins later another reel a running, this time a short distance release of a ~ 10 lb'r. Kept at it for another 2 hrs with only one. another smaller chinook. Herring aide skinny G.

Feel a little bad but I lost my temper a little bit with the whale watch gals. The usual paparazzi of whale harassers plus this other little boat leap frogging ahead telling me I shouldn't be fishing within 1500 m's around the whales. Polite and all but aren't they just another propeller? Anyways, I ranted a bit and yes, I did forget my meds this morning. Sorry.
Don't blame you for getting annoyed with those hypocrites

Launched at 11:30 today trying to catch the tide change and the “bite” time of 12:30.

we ended up with a wild coho in the first 10 minutes and then another hit soon after that, that didn’t stick, then it went quiet for us for over an hour and then a few more here and there.

in total 4 wild cohos to the boat, 2 hits that didn’t stick.

saw a few big fish landed between the breakwater and Macaulay, so there are still a few around. All on lures, 66’ had 5 hits while 1 hit on 55’, from 33-42’……Nada

off the water at 4:00

It was definitely an interesting morning yesterday. Got out to finally fish with my fishing buddy hot-streak on a nice calm
labour day. It was pretty slow for us. We have two double headers. Landed 2 wild coho that were released and boated 1 clipped and a pink. No nookies took our bait! We even had one of our fish get taken by a seal!

enough with the boring stuff, this is the interesting stuff. At around 10:30am between saxe and the green can. This angler started to cuss us as we were trolling by and telling us to stop stop stop. We were about 300m away from him so why would we stop? We didn’t notice anything with our riggers either at the time. He continued to cuss so we turned and headed outwards. Then we noticed that one rigger was hung on something and thought it was seaweed. Took that up and it was heavy so then we stopped to undo it all, we grabbed the hook and freed our DR ball and carried on. This guy decides to pick up his gear and drive directly towards us and turns to the last minute and starts again with the cursing and cussing “you cut my line, you cut my line. Why you do that and a bunch of swearing…”, we explained that we didn’t and we freed ourselves from whatever we had going on and went our way. I decided that if they were going to do anything. I wanted to document this. He was also drifting towards another yellow boat while yelling at us. What a morning!

Very embarrassing to see anglers lose it when he could have simply asked instead of accusing us for cutting his line. Most likely he got hung up and the line got cut… no one is going to cut your line… very embarrassing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Waterfront 6:30-11:30. within the first hour picked up a nice 10lbs white spring (a real scrappy bugger) then absolutely nothing for the rest of the morning. I was surprised how different it looked and tasted. In a very good way.

Attachments

• 20230904_124908.jpg
    20230904_124908.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DJI_0063.JPG4.JPG
    DJI_0063.JPG4.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 50
It was definitely an interesting morning yesterday. Got out to finally fish with my fishing buddy hot-streak on a nice calm
labour day. It was pretty slow for us. We have two double headers. Landed 2 wild coho that were released and boated 1 clipped and a pink. No nookies took our bait! We even had one of our fish get taken by a seal!

enough with the boring stuff, this is the interesting stuff. At around 10:30am between saxe and the green can. This angler started to cuss us as we were trolling by and telling us to stop stop stop. We were about 300m away from him so why would we stop? We didn’t notice anything with our riggers either at the time. He continued to cuss so we turned and headed outwards. Then we noticed that one rigger was hung on something and thought it was seaweed. Took that up and it was heavy so then we stopped to undo it all, we grabbed the hook and freed our DR ball and carried on. This guy decides to pick up his gear and drive directly towards us and turns to the last minute and starts again with the cursing and cussing “you cut my line, you cut my line. Why you do that and a bunch of swearing…”, we explained that we didn’t and we freed ourselves from whatever we had going on and went our way. I decided that if they were going to do anything. I wanted to document this. He was also drifting towards another yellow boat while yelling at us. What a morning!

Very embarrassing to see anglers lose it when he could have simply asked instead of accusing us for cutting his line. Most likely he got hung up and the line got cut… no one is going to cut your line… very embarrassing!
View attachment 97399
sounds like you crossed over his line, it happens.
most guys will put the boat in neutral, untangle the gear and carry on.
too bad some people have such bad tempers.

Last edited:

View attachment 97399
I had a front row seat to this interaction and it made no sense to me at all. I can confirm you were nowhere near his boat when he started yelling and anyway how could you know he was hung up? Thanks for explaining your side of the story.

There was a trap with a green buoy right near that spot in the picture on Friday. Maybe that had something to do with it? I've seen that guy/boat out there lots. Seems like a nice guy and good fisherman. Not sure the details on the interaction you had. He fishes a lot so I doubt he'd think you cut him off if you were so far away. I also would guess he had a fish run under your boat. That's why he was pissed.

I was out front a few days ago and saw a small green float similar to any crab trap float. I clearly remember this, because of the location. 30-40 meter SE of the green can. Why would anyone place a crab trap and float in the area where 70+ boats were fishing that day?

Trolled off Esquimalt this morning, started at 7:00am. My fishing buddy got a nice 9 1/2 pound spring off Mc Cauley on a Skinny G at 69 ft. Then we got a few wild coho’s and a pink. Then at 8:30 we got a big hit off Saxe Point at 72 on the DR. – after some long runs we got him to the boat – a fat 17 pound spring. A great day and we didn’t lose any fishing gear!

Last edited:
I was out there bouncing around from 6:30 am -3pm and was very slow for us and we kept getting kelped so I said we’re moving to Albert head. Was slow there as well. We did manage a pink and a hatch Coho and had another fish I had trouble identifying. Should’ve got a pic but tossed it back before I thought of it. That afternoon SE wind and waves was a bear, had a saltwater shower a few times. Feels like I was drinkin all day as I wobble around home tonight lol

… Would love to see one of those 80cm 20 pounders.;)
Yeah I get a kick out of that too. Got a football 79cm and it was 16.5lb. Even checked my scale with my 15lb rigger ball and it was bang on.

Quick google search shows you the average 80cm is like 14-15lb too.

Good ol fish tales…

Yeah I get a kick out of that too. Got a football 79cm and it was 16.5lb. Even checked my scale with my 15lb rigger ball and it was bang on.

Quick google search shows you the average 80cm is like 14-15lb too.

Good ol fish tales…

Are you guys measuring nose to fork Or nose to end of tail? Correct measurement is to the fork according to DFO. We threw a couple up years ago that were 78&79cm. The 78 was a hair under 19lbs, bled out, on the scale at Cheanuh Marina.

If you used a wood metre stick and lay it on the boat floor and put the fish on top of it. You will gain about 2-4 cm because you are taking out the girth other than measuring with a flat tape on top of the fish. If using a flat tape fish will be about 15 -17 lbs if you used the metre stick it will be about 17-19 lbs, 20lbs is pushing it but it can happen as there is some really fat fish out there. I used a flat tape for years, then switched to metre stick huge difference. For a few years I was throwing back those 81-84 cm fat fish with flat tape but with Wood Metre stick they were most times bang on 80cm.

Maybe he had a fish on took a big run and ran into other line. I am just guessing.
Not sure why so many comments were around him playing a big fish. He wasn't playing any fish with no rod in his hand... unless his downrigger was playing the fish for him. maybe a new way to catching fish is yelling in the back and hoping the fish would jump into his boat.

Glass calm morning on the flats. Lots of bait and arches on the sounder. Pretty slow fishing though. Released one Spring about five pounds and one pin popper while my back was turned. (as per usual). Jigged up several undersized lings and a few rock fish. Two crab traps empty and untouched in Oak Bay and one lost crab trap from Sidney spit returned to owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back