Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out a little later today (845) to the Vic waterfront. I counted 50+- boats in the area. Started fishing with two new fisherman who had never salmon fished before. They were just happy to get on the water and catching a fish was a bonus.

915am we landed a 75cm, then 20 minutes later a 74cm. Then we lost two of the same size fish at the boat. Then I let go an 8lb spring hoping to get a bigger one and then it went dead on springs biting. At 1030 the pinks moved in thick, and a few Coho and one was clipped. Went in at 1.

Most springs were in 100+- ft or water and at all depth on the DR, when the fish were there. All the fish were caught on bait.

Thanks, Tinboatrob for the info and good to see you getting kids out fishing.

Attachments

• Aug 27 VW.jpg
    Aug 27 VW.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 27
Well, first trip for my wife this year and she was not disappointed getting up at 4:45.

Launched at 5:40, I thought were were at JFK airport with the backlog of boats waiting to get in the water, with the limited water, the line moved very smoothly.

It looked like a great day, lots of boats, plenty of nets out. We went 3 for 5 on the springs, the rookie lost two, but kept here fingers in tact. Kept a 78 & 75, both reds, while we threw back another 75. Again just like yesterday all 5 fish caught and the two hits that didn’t stick were on the same set-up at 66’. I might just run the identical set up and the same depth as an experiment and see what happens. Ran 3 lines today, other depths ranged from 31’ down to 58’ and only 1 hit on the other two rods, Lemieux was again the clear winner today.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 71475124555__EC362FE8-691D-4298-BD40-411A34A251A7.jpeg
    71475124555__EC362FE8-691D-4298-BD40-411A34A251A7.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 85
My son had a great little trip off Albert Head with his trout spinning rod a 8oz. weight and a spoon , behind his canoe in 60 ft of water ,yes he has a depth sounder on his canoe ,he managed to land a 17.55 lb. 80 cm Spring . I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes !

Fishing was hot off the Victoria waterfront this morning. A little tricky maneuvering the dory amongst the crowd.
The video covers three of nine misses and three in the net; including a double.
The second miss took a good long run, so I'm calling it a spring :)
If you look at the fish-finder (center,bottom) at 33 seconds in you'll see that I marked fish before just before it hit.
Choked 7" herring, 10 oz, 90' + Pink squirt, 6 oz, 60 to 90' + 4" lemon lime AP sandlance, 10 oz, 60'

Last edited:
Fishing was hot off the Victoria waterfront this morning. A little tricky maneuvering the dory amongst the crowd.
If you look at the fish-finder (center,bottom) at 33 seconds in you'll see that I marked fish before just before it hit.
Choked 7" herring, 10 oz, 90' + Pink squirt, 6 oz, 60 to 90' + 4" lemon lime AP sandlance, 10 oz, 60'
You use halibut reels for salmon ?

Awesome video.... I finally got a camera going this year too. This is from my day I posted about a couple days ago... enjoy! A little easier solo when you don't have to row...

Went out late from Esquimalt yesterday..: launched at 1:30 and braved the chop with a few other boats. Decided to pull our gear at 2:30 to see if Oak Bay was any better (big rollers there), it wasn’t. On our way back decided to troll from green can to the launch, super rough but it paid off. Three springs into the boat in 30 minutes!

Attachments

• IMG_9269.jpeg
    IMG_9269.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 74
He is using level wind reels. They are not a common reel for salmon fishing on the west coast. But are the main reel for salmon fishing in ontario. He may be from back east.

I say cheers to him. Not only is he getting out there and doing it, he is rowing! All the power to him.
Thank you. :cool:
Born, raised and lived most my life on the island. I've been salmon fishing with levelwinds for over 55 years. Tried knucklebusters but I used to make my living with my hands so that was out. :)

Level wind reels are ok, but there is nothing like the scream of a centerpin knuckle buster on a big salmon.
I feel you get better feel for the fish, although some skill is required to avoid backlashes.
this subject has been discussed before on this site

I‘ve used every type of reel. My favourite for salmon fishing on the West Coast is a single action reel with the quick release lever like the MR2. Many years ago David Murphy showed me how to control a single action reel using the little finger on the had holding the rod butt. You simply rest your knuckle on the moving part of the reel - more pressure slows the reel. It frees up your reeling hand. It comes in reel handy when you are dropping your line to the depth you choose to fish at so you don’t have to fiddle with the drag as much.
Fishing in the Great Lakes is a different story. Most of the bigger charter boats run up to 12 rods using dip sites, planer boards and downriggers. When you have a fish on, the boat doesn’t stop or even slow down much because the lines will tangle, do it much easier to use level wind. It’s all about bigger limits and getting everyone guest a limit. Last time I fished in Lake Ontario the limit was 4 Chinook (Kings).
my 2 cents
Stosh

He is using level wind reels. They are not a common reel for salmon fishing on the west coast. But are the main reel for salmon fishing in ontario. He may be from back east.

I say cheers to him. Not only is he getting out there and doing it, he is rowing! All the power to him.
I only bring out that kind of real for the kids on there first few trips , after that is use the trophy or islander reel for salmon , way more fun , more input from the angler .

No word as of yet, but just hoping this year will be the same as the last few years.
From "FN0653-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook Management Measures - Southeast Vancouver Island - Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 - effective August 1, 2023; and Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Effective July 15, 2023" which you may find here (my bold highlight):

AREA 19 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention areas/periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

REMINDER: Chinook minimum size limit is 45 cm in Subareas 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4. The Chinook minimum size limit in Subareas 19-5 to 19-12 is 62 cm.

From "FN0653-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook Management Measures - Southeast Vancouver Island - Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 - effective August 1, 2023; and Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Effective July 15, 2023" which you may find here (my bold highlight):

AREA 19 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention areas/periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

REMINDER: Chinook minimum size limit is 45 cm in Subareas 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4. The Chinook minimum size limit in Subareas 19-5 to 19-12 is 62 cm.
That size restriction is bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back