Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed a pink to a seal at 7:22 at the green can in front of Victoria harbor. :(
Managed to retrieve the flasher. :)
Lost a handful of fish close to the boat. Nothing in the tub at the end of the row.
Screenshot from 2023-08-24 11-57-17.png
Screenshot from 2023-08-24 11-57-35.png

Fished the Victoria waterfront this morning and started at 550. There were already 8 boats fishing. By 7 we had our 3 springs (78, 76, 72cm) and headed back in at 720am . At 720 there were 34+ boats and lots of boats with nets out everywhere from the green can to Esq Anglers ramp.
Fish were at 50 to 65 ft on the DR, in any where from 50 to 120 ft of water, and we used bait.

All red and males today, yesterday they were all red females.

Attachments

• Aug 25 2023    2.jpg
    Aug 25 2023 2.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Aug 25 2023.jpg
    Aug 25 2023.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 36
I do not fish the waterfront much but this seems to be a much better fishery than past years for this area at this time of year?
Can anyone confirm? any thoughts on why?

From what I've seen, there is not a ton of bait off Esquimalt and the Harbour mouth. Maybe the few fish that stray that way are so hungry they'll jump on anything. Even I have caught a couple. When was the last time there was a local net pen or release in any of the small streams?

Late…late post, Wednesday afternoon

Had a friend from the flatlands of Saskatchewan show up this week due to the fires in Kelowna where he was supposed to visit with his daughter, so he just kept driving west because she was under evacuation orders. Well we finally made it onto the water this afternoon, a slight chop to begin with, which turned into 3-4’ white-caped rollers, but he handed the waves like a champ.

We managed to bring in 1 spring on two big hits that we had. Also caught 2 pink, which 1 took the lure right the surface while we were packing up for the night.

we started with two rods and then moved to a third rod, which is what we were rewarded on. 66’ for 1 large hit, the third rod in the middle did most if the heavy lifting, with 1 spring and the pink, I had it set on the downrigger at 33’. All spoons, with the no bananas arriving at the finish line

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 42
Fished out front of Victoria this morning with Stosh and another friend and we started at 6 and done by 7. Lots of fish around the green can boy and lots of boats landing fish in that area. There were about 14 boats at 6am and by 7am 22 boats.
Fish were caught at 60 ft on the Dr in 70 ft of water. All on bait.
We even got a hatchery fish (79cm) which was dropped off at Esq Anglers.
Fish were all red 79,76,74 cm.

The fish sure like hanging around the can boy and the harbor mouth area this year. Everyone around us had a net out and then the cruise ship came in and we all had to move out of the way. The bite continued on.
Faack…..motored right by the area to head to Sooke….(because that’s were the fish were) possession was quiet so we went all the way to Otter for 1 spring (3 people)….oh well it’s just gas money 💵💵🤦‍♂️

Waterfront 7-10 got a couple of 5# nooks. The bite was on upon arrival but quickly tapered off. I'll get up earlier next time. Not bad for a noob, though. Green can to Saxe pt. 70-9' pf water, anchovies on bloody nose and glow. Had a coho killer on one side that didn't even get one hit so we changed that up after about an hour. Flashers green and pink, either one didn't seem to matter.

I do not fish the waterfront much but this seems to be a much better fishery than past years for this area at this time of year?
Can anyone confirm? any thoughts on why?
No the best fishing in yrs as we were forced by DFO to quite realeasing Nitnat stock 6 yrs ago ! If ant Anglers would turn in any Clipped Heads I could fine out what they came from! as not American as they clip all there’s !
Also we have a Head Return Box out side our Main Door , Thanks (;Gary President )
There's no fish at the waterfront. All a bunch of lies. Go to Sooke, stay away

Good please stay at Sooke we had the best returns off our Breakwater in many yrs with Limits every day for last Month
Shhhhhh!!! You were referring to the breakwater in Sidney, right? Right??? ;);):D

Crossed yesterday am Vancouver to the gulf islands for an overnighter, couldn’t resist the great wind forecast and had to come to Victoria area for my first try at Hali. Was too rough the last few times I was over.

Found a hump on Constance and gave it a shot for 3 hours around the mid-afternoon slack, couple nibbles and a dogfish but nada. That bucket list item will have to wait. Around 5pm the pinks were jumping all around me so pulled anchor, started trolling pink gear at 40’ and couldn’t get the second rod down before one hit. Happened 3x in a row… 3 pinks in the box in 5 minutes.

Pulled up and headed to the harbour entry. (Thanks for the reports here) Started at breakwater heading west and on the first tack, right near Macaulay, hit a nice one. Good fight and 78cm red spring landed. Chovy at 70 in 80’ water

Bit of a long run for a spring and 3 pinks but was a very nice calm cruise by Sidney, Saanich, etc. My first time south of Swartz on the water. Beauty.

August has been incredible for springs this year and great to to see them off the waterfront again, just like years ago when there were net pens in Esquimalt. Today lost first 3 between 6-7am then it went dead. Got a beauty 79cm 16.5lb off breakwater around 10am then second 11lb about 1/2 hour later off green can. Got checked by fisheries as we were packing up. All fish on bait, no spoons got touched today. The ramp at Fleming was packed early when we arrived at 6 there was 6 boats in line waiting to launch.

Fished the water front today, from 6-10am. Lost a few first thing around the green can, then at 7 picked up a nice 10lber 70cm off the break water. Nothing else till 8:30 when we picked up a nice 13 lber 77cm off the can. 69 ft on the rigger in 70ft water. Headed out for some pinks, but couldn't find any, all I got was 3 more Chinook all 77cm. all released and swam away strong. Caught all fish on spoons and pink squirts. Can't wait for Sept 1st.

Started the launch at 5:40, a couple boats ahead of me, when I had finished launching there was a lineup out to the street.

on to fishing,

I made my way over to the breakwater, Macaulay was already getting jammed up at 5:55. Within 1.5 hours, I landed a pink, about a 5-6lb spring, that went back, kept a 75cm white spring, had a pin popper that lasted about 1 minute, and then had another cookie cutter, that hit when I was applying sunscreen On my face. He mad it up to the boat, but since I was solo, I had my one, so he lived to see other day. The combo below in the pic grabbed everything today at 66’

i wrapped the salmon fishing up and headed to the mud flats to try my luck at Halibut. I sat for hours with about 6-8 dogs for my effort. I was going to head out about 1:00, but stuck it out for another 10 minutes, and then another, and another...…finally, I pulled the plug at 3:30.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.38.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.38.23 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • 71475124555__EC362FE8-691D-4298-BD40-411A34A251A7.jpeg
    71475124555__EC362FE8-691D-4298-BD40-411A34A251A7.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 101
Fished the water front today, from 6-10am. Lost a few first thing around the green can, then at 7 picked up a nice 10lber 70cm off the break water. Nothing else till 8:30 when we picked up a nice 13 lber 77cm off the can. 69 ft on the rigger in 70ft water. Headed out for some pinks, but couldn't find any, all I got was 3 more Chinook all 77cm. all released and swam away strong. Caught all fish on spoons and pink squirts. Can't wait for Sept 1st.
Are the regs going to change on Sept 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back