Status
Not open for further replies.
Out off Esquimalt, apparently not first thing as the parking lot was full. A ton of boats right out front Maccauley and Saxe pts. but heavy debris line blocked my favourite depth. Didn't see much going on. So headed over to Brotchie. Saw a boat with a fish on around 0700. Shortly after a good strike and ended up releasing a ~8 Lb'r. Soon as I got the gear down and was ready to circle back another hit. Felt good so after the fish calmed down a bit, put the rod back in the holder and quickly boated all the other gear. Decent scrap ending with me tapping a 79 cm, weighed at 13 lb 10 oz.

Yes, it sure is frustrating being that lone angler doing donuts. 70' herring aide spoon.
Well you did better than us! Got lines down about 6:30 this morning. Fished between Brochie and Saxe until 11:30. Saw a fair bit of bait off Brochie and had a couple small bites but went home with nothing. Tried a few different hoochie and spoon combos.

In-laws went home yesterday. Back rowing today, marking fish everywhere, tons of bait. Targeting springs I threw all I had at them, from plugs to hoochies and assorted spoons. At different depths including buzz bombs. Nada!
Finally tossed on a pink squirt for a consolation pink.

In-laws went home yesterday. Back rowing today, marking fish everywhere, tons of bait. Targeting springs I threw all I had at them, from plugs to hoochies and assorted spoons. At different depths including buzz bombs. Nada!
Finally tossed on a pink squirt for a consolation pink.
Saw you out there again today. Glad we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t find a spring!

Large stainless crab trap found this morning floating just east of Finlayson Point and would like to get it back to it's owner.. There was no name or phone number properly written on the float. I could make out the letters "igford) faintly written on one side of the float. Someone had used a knife to "erase" the phone number and most of the name on the float. If you can describe the float(s) and the bait used, as well as some other parts of the trap you are more than welcome to have it back.

Fished the Vic Water front today, started at 615 at the green can. dropped both rods and in five minutes had a hit that pulled the line I ran over grabbed it and reeled and nothing there. Then the other rod bounce so ran over to it and was watching it ready to grab it out of the holder. One of the regulars was coming past and I asked how is it going and he point to the 1st rod and it was hammering. I guess the fish came back. I gave the fishing rod to a lady who had never fished before or touched a fishing rod.. She did a great job and got a 79.5 cm in.

Moved to Albert Head and got shakers, wild coho and a couple of 8lb springs. all the fish were caught on bait and 60 ft on the DR.

Bonus we got four crab. the couple I was with are heading back to Toronto tomorrow with fish and a great fishing trip to tell their friends. They were blown away how beautiful it is here.

Saw you out there again today. Glad we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t find a spring!
Wondering if you use "Gold Star" spoons? I have had trouble with them bending and mylar falling off after one fish. Dealers will not replace these faulty spoons so buyer beware. At $13 per spoon, I will not be buying any more or recommending them to others.

Last edited:
Wondering if you use "Gold Star" spoons? I have had trouble with them bending and mylar falling off after one fish. Dealers will not replace these faulty spoons so buyer beware. At $13 per spoon, I will not be buying any more or recommending them to others.
I think I have a couple but haven’t had any serious issues with them. It’s the Skinny G’s that are always getting bent, hooks falling off…

Has anyone been trying out at Constance Bank for springs? I haven’t been out there since May, but did get 1 7lb’r

Has anyone been trying out at Constance Bank for springs? I haven’t been out there since May, but did get 1 7lb’r
I fished Constance last thursday mid-day for endless pinks, a couple coho (one clipped) and several small (5-8 lb) springs on spoons behind the flasher at 60-80 feet. No real ocean run springs there for me.

I think I have a couple but haven’t had any serious issues with them. It’s the Skinny G’s that are always getting bent, hooks falling off…
I had a hook fall off on a nice Chinook as well....what's with that! Should not happen

As someone said the other., ,"why drive past fish to find fish." Waterfront is holding big fish, why go to Constance for small springs. We have not kept any springs under 75cm on the waterfront in weeks. Have released many fish over 12 lbs. Stay close, catch fish.

As someone said the other., ,"why drive past fish to find fish." Waterfront is holding big fish, why go to Constance for small springs. We have not kept any springs under 75cm on the waterfront in weeks. Have released many fish over 12 lbs. Stay close, catch fish.
Eleven more days. :cool:

I've been using the Spirit lures and Looney spoons with great success off Victoria and Sooke. They have been out fishing bait. Not any better quality than the big names but they are in the bargain bin at Trotac so I loaded up. For $5-6 each instead of $9-12 so not so sad when they pretzel in the net.

Last edited:
Went out this morning 6:15. We did a couple passes at the breakwater and then divided it was too choppy so headed back towards the launch. Passed the green can and was about to pull up the lines and head in and BAM!! 80cm on the nose 16#
60’ on the DR

Attachments

• 1E0626C9-131B-4313-8095-978076E268E5.jpeg
    1E0626C9-131B-4313-8095-978076E268E5.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 106
Yes Sir, and that person was correct. Neglected to post "bad me" but took the advice and stayed out front. Limited out on the 4 days I was there. Even through back a couple chinooks. I may be getting old but I'm still learning. I've spent years trying to think like a fish, time of day, tides, moon, lure, bait, leader length...sometimes when things are good you just need to show up and get the lines in the water. Oh and bring a kid, I think they are good luck ;-)

While I am still at the keyboard and giggling about my last post, are there still pinks out front? Thinking of bringing another friend's kid. Or should I say young man...wow time flies he is 18 now. It's been about 5 years since I've taken him out and getting a few pinks on line waiting for a nook would be great.

While I am still at the keyboard and giggling about my last post, are there still pinks out front? Thinking of bringing another friend's kid. Or should I say young man...wow time flies he is 18 now. It's been about 5 years since I've taken him out and getting a few pinks on line waiting for a nook would be great.

I got a pink yesterday

Fished out front of Victoria this morning with Stosh and another friend and we started at 6 and done by 7. Lots of fish around the green can boy and lots of boats landing fish in that area. There were about 14 boats at 6am and by 7am 22 boats.
Fish were caught at 60 ft on the Dr in 70 ft of water. All on bait.
We even got a hatchery fish (79cm) which was dropped off at Esq Anglers.
Fish were all red 79,76,74 cm.

The fish sure like hanging around the can boy and the harbor mouth area this year. Everyone around us had a net out and then the cruise ship came in and we all had to move out of the way. The bite continued on.

Attachments

• Aug 24 2023.jpg
    Aug 24 2023.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Aug 24 2023.jpg
    Aug 24 2023.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back