Status
Not open for further replies.
Released a wild coho (pink squirt), then just after 8 am caught a small slot sized spring on a plug at the green can. Marking bait everywhere under 80' deep. Marked fish right on the bottom at 150' straight out from Macaulay pt. before 7 am.

plug.jpg

The tide was very low at 9 am. concrete ended at the water.
Screenshot from 2023-08-01 13-56-28.png

Last edited:
Hey all, Looking for a bit of advice. I normally fish Sidney, but my Nephew is coming for a visit and has never caught a salmon. I am thinking of bring the boat around to the Victoria/Oak Bay area to try for some Pinks. I was thinking Discovery Island area? open to suggestions as to where I may find some . Thanks in advance

Previous years I have got into the pinks just trolling on a line between the south tip of Discovery and Trial Islands.

Hey all, Looking for a bit of advice. I normally fish Sidney, but my Nephew is coming for a visit and has never caught a salmon. I am thinking of bring the boat around to the Victoria/Oak Bay area to try for some Pinks. I was thinking Discovery Island area? open to suggestions as to where I may find some . Thanks in advance
Launch at Esquimalt Anglers and put your lines down right outside the marina. Can't miss them running red/pink squirts,28-30 in. leader,red flasher from 10-100Ft. but start at 40-70 Ft. Their everywhere. I was trying not to catch them running spoons and easily hit 20 in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Launch at Esquimalt Anglers and put your lines down right outside the marina. Can't miss them running red/pink squirts,28-30 in. leader,red flasher from 10-100Ft. but start at 40-70 Ft. Their everywhere. I was trying not to catch them running spoons and easily hit 20 in a couple of hours.
Thank you very much. He will love that

We fished the Vic waterfront this morning from 6 to 1015. 25 boats in the area and calm water. I started out targeting springs but got into pinks ASAP. Had 3 teenagers who had never fished today so we kept the first three fish the landed which were pinks. At 730 they landed a spring and then at 8, another spring, then back to pinks which we let go. I was using bait, blow heads at 65 ft.

The three teens had a great time with lots of action. Get your kids out fishing and get them hook on fishing.

Attachments

• Aug 1 2023 Vic Waterfront.jpg
    Aug 1 2023 Vic Waterfront.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 97
Right out front or were you in deeper water, or 2nd tide line
I was closer in but they seem to be everywhere. I was fishing 100-200ft depth with riggers 45 and 65. Also I have no idea where or what the 2nd tide line is or even (i assume 1st tide line) is that a specific distance or its it where/when the current meets and makes those lines of kelp and wood?

Released a wild coho (pink squirt), then just after 8 am caught a small slot sized spring on a plug at the green can. Marking bait everywhere under 80' deep. Marked fish right on the bottom at 150' straight out from Macaulay pt. before 7 am.

View attachment 95568

The tide was very low at 9 am. concrete ended at the water.
View attachment 95569
We saw you on the way out of victoria harbour this morning. I always admire your yellow boat and the fact you row and get fish! I admire it but I'm still not giving up my yamaha outboards hahaha

If you want to get him into really hot action fishing and will tow anyways I'd go the extra distance and tow to Cheanuh marina and fish from beachy to trap shack. You will get into a LOT of fish including pinks, chinook and coho.

Went out this evening to try and do some crabbing. Was only planning on a short 1 hour soak for the traps so threw the lines in the water.

Dropped one rod shallow and one rod deep. Both got fish. Went home with no keeper crab but a few pinks and a decent Chinook.

Lots of boats were getting fish… and losing fish like me.

Great time for the waterfront. Rigger at 45 and 78

They were spread out all over,lots right at the green can bouy.I was using spoons trying to see if there were any springs around for the opening.No spring action,lots of pinks.

When you say “ green can” I assume you mean the v21 beacon ? Right out front of Macaulay ?

Had plans to fish Beechy head tomorrow but only have 10-2 ish so closer might give a bit more time

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 32
Got out of Vic harbor at 615 today and there were already 16 boats fishing mainly around the green can. Decided to go to Albert Head and fished 7 to 10. Landed five winter springs in the first hour and all around 24", we kept two and all caught in 120+- ft of water and 80 ft on the DR.

Then the tide started ebbing hard at 8 so we moved in close to shore and shallowed up to 50 ft on the DR and got a good one on.. The teenager reeling in (2 time fishing) played the fish great, and as it got close to the boat it was easy to see it was over size but we had to land it to remove the hook down it's throat. It was 88cm so back it went. Then nothing from 820 to 10.

We were the only boat at Albert Head and no pinks. Sorry no photos, they are on one of the girls phone.

Glow heads and bait 50 to 80 ft on the DR. Bonus we got 4 keeper crabs in one trap.

Was planning on going to Sooke today but after reading reports of waterfront producing decided to stay in town. Fished esquimalt to breakwater from 6 to 1. Fishing was sporatic with an hour of nothing then little flurries of bites. Picked up 3 hatchery chinook 10 to 14lb and 5 pinks. Spoons seemed to outfish bait. 20230804_125029.jpg

Busier on the waterfront this morning between 6 & 8. Missed a couple strikes in the 80-90' depth. Went out to 140 to avoid the crowd and found a large bait ball. 5 wild coho in short order including a double header; 2 short line releases and three hand released at the boat. One gave me a shower before settling down. In the 3 - 5 lb range. All on pink squirts.

Waterfront 6-12, 4 pinks 3-5 lbs. 70-100' of water one dr at 60' and the other on the bottom. Anchovies on bloody nose and glo teasers, pink hootchie, cop car spoon and green coho killer. Other than a couple of shakers not a whiff from any chinook or coho. Definitely going to smoke these. I asked my buddy how long it takes to smoke a salmon and he said it depends on which end you light first. ??? Island joke?

Also got a bunch of sand dabs on the dr that was on the bottom.

Is right rod to shore only a Sooke thing?

Fished OB flats Saturday am. lost nice spring at the side of the boat and later released a wild coho. Had 13 boats for company and saw a few fish caught including on really good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back