Status
Not open for further replies.
This anchoring conversation needs to be started in it's own thread. Please keep the fishing reports thread for that purpose.

Late post:

0-4

Went out Monday, first to launch at 5:45, parking lot was empty. Strange I thought because of the nice tides today.

Dropped the trap off and went to my halibut grounds. fishing by 6:30. Wrapped things up at 2:15, with only 1 dog to show for my efforts.

Strange how last year and the year before I was 5-5 in the same area, same bait set up, and in the last 4 outings NaDdA. Might be time to sell the boat, all the good mojo has been used up.

also, yesterdays current was strange, where I was on the mud flats, the back of the boat was pointing to Constance with a slow flood, and the lines were 90 degrees under the boat in the direction of Victoria. I’d have to make small adjustments of letting the line out for the ball to stay on the bottom. Every once and while checking my bait, the line was tangled around the spreader bar. The water must have been just swirling down there.

Then to make matters worse, we went and checked on the crab trap. Same as the day before, 1 one lonely red rock.

when we landed, had a conversation with fish guy checking on peoples catch, said that 6 had come in, stated that he had 3 large ones (a couple of them were ”overs”) about 50-60 lbs, and a couple mid 20’s all fish were caught all over.

Fished Monday from 730 to 1 at the mud hole in 300 ft of water. I could see 16 boats in the area and it was flat calm. 4 dogs and that was it,
Got back to the marina and two other fisherman were also out at Constance Bank halibut fishing and both also never got a bite.

Nice hot day on the water and all I caught was a sun burn.

Finally…1-5

Fishing solo this morning, halibut fishing about 6:30. I ended up with a small one 62cm, at around 8:30. I was a gambling man and tossed it back. Couple hours later around 10:50, just as the tide was turning, I had a hit. Big fish, only lasted about 10-15 seconds before he did a big head shake…..then he was gone. Then at 11:10 another big fish on. This one made a couple attempts to go back down to the bottom, but I got him turned around and coming back up. Finally got him up to the surface and said oh ****, I better try to get a preliminary measurement. Once the measurement was done 🤞, hoping I was close, I grabbed the harpoon. The tip fell in the water, so I put it back on, and I had ahold of the spreader bar holding the fish, trying to keep the head under the water while I reached for the harpoon. Head came out of the water, he went all ape-**** crazy, and ended up shaking the hook out of the clasp. Down to the deep he went!

while I was contemplating life, the other rod started to give a little tweak. I grabbed it, we are hooked up again. Small this time around, landed a 73cm.

1st fish caught on herring, the dogfish cleaned me out, so the 2nd and 4th fish were caught on mackerel, and the 3rd the monster that got away was caught on salmon head.

checked the crab trap, 9 crabs, 3 female and only 1 keeper

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 70941054949__CCD612ED-02D2-446F-94B6-8DC7D4F59153.jpeg
    70941054949__CCD612ED-02D2-446F-94B6-8DC7D4F59153.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1891.jpeg
    IMG_1891.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 158
Cold and windy off the mud flats yesterday. Anchored up in 325 feet as usual. No shortage of dog’s again (6), and we dragged up 3 skates, and one halibut. I was curious to see what the bottom looked like and what the temperature is down there, so I put a camera and a thermometer on the spreader bar. Surprised to see the number of clam shells in this depth of water. Temperature was 42 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees colder than the surface.

Cold and windy off the mud flats yesterday. Anchored up in 325 feet as usual. No shortage of dog’s again (6), and we dragged up 3 skates, and one halibut. I was curious to see what the bottom looked like and what the temperature is down there, so I put a camera and a thermometer on the spreader bar. Surprised to see the number of clam shells in this depth of water. Temperature was 42 degrees Fahrenheit, about 10 degrees colder than the surface.
What camera housing did you use? I'm good to 100 feet or so, looked at the expensive solution....yikes!

Out in Oak Bay crabbing and jigging for cod. I got a nice surprise with a very scrappy spring on the jig. A couple great runs and then gently tailed for a quick pic and released beside the boat. Crabbing was terrible for dungies. Kept a couple of rock crab, a cabezon and a couple of rock fish!

Attachments

• ob SPRING.jpg
    ob SPRING.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 150
Out in Oak Bay crabbing and jigging for cod. I got a nice surprise with a very scrappy spring on the jig. A couple great runs and then gently tailed for a quick pic and released beside the boat. Crabbing was terrible for dungies. Kept a couple of rock crab, a cabezon and a couple of rock fish!
Was out there as well. Been having a tough time getting any good crabbing anywhere. Several Rockfish and small Lings. Flats seemed void of life. Did enjoy the Orca show as did the folks at Willows beach and Cattle point.

Great to hear the fish are heading our way from the Sooke area. Any reports from Constance Bank area. Thought the SE side along the drop off might bring some action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back