Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out for the first trip of the year and to test out all the new gear.
Fished 630 to 10, near the freighter anchoring area off of Albert Head/Esq.
At 730 landed a 31.5" 15lb clipped, 830 lost a 5lb at the boat and that was it and it went dead.
Dropped the head off at Esq Anglers.

Attachments

• 15lb Albert Head May 24.jpg
    15lb Albert Head May 24.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 52
Late post:

Made it out on the water after a long hiatus, traveling the world, ****** weather and a sick mother. The last picture I took when I was out on the water was early September. Pathetic really!

Tested the waters at 9:30, dropped the 1 crab trap down. Started to test all the other gear on the boat. 1 downrigger wouldn’t turn off, one had no power, so I cruised for about 1.5 hours out front on 1 rigger to see if I could get lucky….no luck! I headed out the the mud flats to try my luck at halibut. Anchored up at round 11:45, ebb tide was moving slower than I expected, and the turn was very slow and gradual. Packed up the halibut gear at 4:20, with just 1 nibble that took half my mackerel At around 3:45.

I went and checked on the trap, 11 crabs, 1 female, 1 large red rock, a couple of small, and 6-7 that were just 1/8-1/4“ too small.

great day to be back on the water, it was a balmy 25 degrees in the cab

Late post:

Made it out on the water after a long hiatus, traveling the world, ****** weather and a sick mother. The last picture I took when I was out on the water was early September. Pathetic really!

Tested the waters at 9:30, dropped the 1 crab trap down. Started to test all the other gear on the boat. 1 downrigger wouldn’t turn off, one had no power, so I cruised for about 1.5 hours out front on 1 rigger to see if I could get lucky….no luck! I headed out the the mud flats to try my luck at halibut. Anchored up at round 11:45, ebb tide was moving slower than I expected, and the turn was very slow and gradual. Packed up the halibut gear at 4:20, with just 1 nibble that took half my mackerel At around 3:45.

I went and checked on the trap, 11 crabs, 1 female, 1 large red rock, a couple of small, and 6-7 that were just 1/8-1/4“ too small.

thursday am. just returned from quick trip to the Oak Bay Flats. Water very calm and landed and released a wild spring at 630 am. Fishing near bottom with small skinny g lure. fish around 6 to 8 lbs.

thursday am. just returned from quick trip to the Oak Bay Flats. Water very calm and landed and released a wild spring at 630 am. Fishing near bottom with small skinny g lure. fish around 6 to 8 lbs.
Thanks for sharing -- I'm heading out tomorrow, but not until later in the morning, and any tidbit of info that can get me closer even to something I have to release is so helpful.

Fished the Vic water front (flag pole area) from 630 to 10.
At 7 had one on and lost it. 730 landed a 7+lb (27 inch) and then it went dead.
Fished on bottom with bait. No keeper crabs for us. It was flat calm and three other boats fishing the same area.
Lots of bait and fish showing up on the sonar from 630 to 8 then they moved.

Dropped the head off at Esq anglers and saw three boats come in (noon) and they had a total of 7 halibut. 15 to 35 lb. Hope there are some left for the weekend.

Attachments

• May 25  27 inch.jpg
    May 25 27 inch.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 36
Late post:

Good seeing you out there that day. I saw your boat out of the side glance and did a double take, thought it might be you and called. I only had one bite that day too but my new trainee held the mooching reel upside down and reeled backward..... and we lost our only fish.

Later on he also let the downrigger ball drag and I got tangled up on something heavy but I could slowly drag. Had to break off the ball eventually after trying to recover it going in different directions.

We did end up with 6 keeper crab...

.... thats fishing....

Started salmon fishing at Albert Head at 630, not a fish on the sonar and only catching sole. Moved to the flagpole area at 8, and got a knuckle buster at 930 and after 4 minute it was gone, 1030, double header of 24” clipped fish and landed them, 11 another double header and one didn’t stick and got a 10lb to the boat and lost it.

Most fish were on bottom (140’) in front of the flagpole area. All hook ups were on bait.

Dropped the heads off at Esq. Angler. Busy place with boats pulling out from halibut fishing.

On the pick today with Bottomfeeder1, left the dock just after 6, dropped the crab trap made our way through the slop to my halibut spot……..which again didn’t produce for me today, starting the year off, 0-2.
We did manage a couple of large dogs the get the adrenaline flowing, and right t the end we ended up with a small cod to end the day at 2:00.

2 keeper crabs, which were hard and full of meat.

On the pick today with Bottomfeeder1, left the dock just after 6, dropped the crab trap made our way through the slop to my halibut spot……..which again didn’t produce for me today, starting the year off, 0-2.
We did manage a couple of large dogs the get the adrenaline flowing, and right t the end we ended up with a small cod to end the day at 2:00.

2 keeper crabs, which were hard and full of meat.
You enjoy the hard meat do you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back