Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to complain on VHF 16 or to their office (250) 363-3293 if you want to draw their attention.
"Pan Pan? A 65 boat just sent up a 1-meter wake, all small vessels in the area east and west of the Victoria harbour entrance be aware." I think their office, the pilots on board the freighters and the pilot boat will all hear it. Maybe don't mention the size of boat but, so they can save face but still get the message? I've buzzed in before and got the stink eye from a certain grumpy charter captain. I now slow down, but always tough to know what berth to give paddle boarder, kayakers, and open boats.

There is a second issue about the pilot boat wake: when they change course their wake on the inside of the turn really kicks up. I have noticed that the course of the pilot boat takes a turn to the east once clearing the breakwater which puts a set of breaking wake waves heading east, where everybody is fishing. They make the same change of course on the return, with the same wake results.

The Local Restaurant held their annual Salmon Superbowl derby this past Sunday. The winning fish was a 15 lb spring but I don't have the name of the winner. Second place went to Jeremy Petzing for a 14 lb spring. Third place went to Justin Wilson for a 12.7 lb spring. One angler had a contender for the largest salmon but as it was being transfered from the boat to the dock the fish bag broke and the salmon was lost overboard.

Got out on the waterfront on Wednesday, the first time this year, mostly as a shake down to remind myself of what not to forget for next time. Fishing from 10:30 started out from Esquimalt and turned left at the 120' depth and pointed toward Clover Point. Couple of shakers near Brotchie and then a keeper followed by another nice 10#. By noon the ebb seemed to be kicking up some wave action which coincided with the end of the bite. Around 2:00 made the last run from Clover to Esquimalt Anglers, just west of the harbour mouth had a nice hit, that ran and ran and ran. 10 minutes later a 15# was in the boat. Turned out to be a light pink Spring, nice start to the year!

Attachments

• Feb 2023 15# pink spring.jpg
    Feb 2023 15# pink spring.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 193
The Local Restaurant held their annual Salmon Superbowl derby this past Sunday. The winning fish was a 15 lb spring but I don't have the name of the winner. Second place went to Jeremy Petzing for a 14 lb spring. Third place went to Justin Wilson for a 12.7 lb spring. One angler had a contender for the largest salmon but as it was being transfered from the boat to the dock the fish bag broke and the salmon was lost overboard.
That’s why you don’t use cheap fish bags, lol

Grabbed an hour on the flats mid day today. One under hatchery released boat side about twenty minutes in. Three other boats. Saw fish being played but not boated.

Beautiful morning to be out. Flat sea and the rain held off. Lots of 3-4 pounders at the harbor mouth. Lost a couple of better fish, or maybe just 4 pounders hooked sideways? Who knows? Kept one hatchery about 5lb. Fishing died off about 10:30. Given a similar report from out by the freighters.

On the water about 930. Let a little guy go along the side of the boat, that was likely just over legal. Healthy and happy. 1030 got a nice 7#er. Both in 120' south of Brotchie on the bottom. AP sandlance and Skinny G. Couple stories of fish out in the Albert Head area. Keep an eye on your fish when using the Esquimalt cleanings station. Was washing the top off and an Otter jumped up on the float and took my fish head I was going to keep for crapping. The pail is missing. I brought the last wine juice pail down but I won't be fishing for a few weeks. Maybe someone has an extra pail that they can bring down. The rope was looking a bit shabby as well. First time this year on the water, OMG I love this place. We are so lucky!!

Put in a full day today. Solo. Nice sea conditions. Harbour mouth was pretty slow in the morning except for one flurry of activity were there was 6 fish in about 45 mins. All pretty small up to 4 lbs. Checked out in front of Clover pt. Lost one that felt decent and then released on about 6. Back to the harbour mouth for a couple more smalls and a 5 pounder. Heading in at 3:00, right in front of Macauley pt a double header. Released the first about 7 and bonked a 9. Perhaps should have stayed out but I was done. Spoons ruled today.

9" herring in the stomach.

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_152502542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230218_152502542_HDR.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 67
Decent day out. Wet the lines out front of the flag pole right around 11. Said hello to a fella in a Raider ( I think it was a Raider) He mentioned getting some little ones so I dang if that’s what I ended up getting too. Lost a nice one at the boat before going in for lunch. Back out to the flats after lunch for nada. Crab pots had four keepers.
My day was better than this guy’s

Attachments

• F8A58958-5049-4A39-B017-159659448C82.jpeg
    F8A58958-5049-4A39-B017-159659448C82.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 190
We spent 4 hours on anchor for hali off Oak Bay and got a whole bunch of Dog Fish to show for it...ugh

Took advantage of a weather window and dragged my brother out in the cold. Actually not to bad. We laughed about the 'old days' when dad took us out in one of the old clinker rentals out of Brentwood, cutting through the ice at the entrance to Todd inlet and huddling around the little Briggs and Stratton. Today it was surprising nice.

Had the whole place to our selves for most of the morning. Released a couple of small ones in front of Macaulley and fished out towards Brotchie. A couple of pin poppers but not all the little ones as per previous weeks. Just as well. Back off Macaulley 120 ft both rods go off. Great scrap and eventually brought two 13lb twins to the net. One was clipped.

Fished another hour releasing another nice fish of about 8 lbs. Got to keep one space on the old licence.

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_123205979_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230225_123205979_HDR.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Took advantage of a weather window and dragged my brother out in the cold. Actually not to bad. We laughed about the 'old days' when dad took us out in one of the old clinker rentals out of Brentwood, cutting through the ice at the entrance to Todd inlet and huddling around the little Briggs and Stratton. Today it was surprising nice.

Had the whole place to our selves for most of the morning. Released a couple of small ones in front of Macaulley and fished out towards Brotchie. A couple of pin poppers but not all the little ones as per previous weeks. Just as well. Back off Macaulley 120 ft both rods go off. Great scrap and eventually brought two 13lb twins to the net. One was clipped.

Fished another hour releasing another nice fish of about 8 lbs. Got to keep one space on the old licence.
nice work

Anyone willing to post the murrays tables ? Dont have time to go to trotac as i work and they are closed during the weekend and island outfitters is out or maybe email me a picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back