Status
Not open for further replies.
There are fish around Sidney now so should be good in August. Picked up a 9lb plus hatchery off Arbutus today on a Westcoast Tackle PHAT-E spoon. Had a few unders and lost a pin popper, all in less than an hour. Out at 10:00 back by noon with fish and limit of jumbo prawns.
Picked up the wife and new puppy for a boat ride and trip to the spit. Some times we don't realize how great it is here and take it for granted.

Is Arbutus isl open for hatchery chinook now? From what I see it seems like only 18-7 is open. I could be wrong though

Is Arbutus isl open for hatchery chinook now? From what I see it seems like only 18-7 is open. I could be wrong though
West of Arbutus is open until August 1,then likely shut down.
That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48 degrees 44.0239’ N, 123 degrees 25.5622’W) to Harry Point on Piers Island (48 degrees 42.6137' N, 123 degrees 25.1697’W); AND west of a line from Indian Point on Piers Island (48 degrees 42.1410' N, 123 degrees 25.4996’W), then through the red buoy U16, then through the green marker on metal pilings, then due south to a point on Vancouver Island (48 degrees 41.6714’N, 123 degrees 25.5501‘W).

Excuse my ignorance but is there actually a map of area 18 showing what is now open and what may be opening or closing on August 1st for the various salmon species. If it does exist I'll be damned if I can find it. Thanks for any clarification. :oops:
Hope this helps. Took me a while to find the maps.

SpeciesAreasMin sizeGearLimits
(d/p/a)
Status
Chinook salmon18-9-/-/-Closed until Nov 30
Chinook salmon (hatchery)18-1 to 18-6,18-8,18-10,18-11Barbless Hook & Line0/0/-Non-retention until Jul 31 (See Restrictions)
18-762cmBarbless Hook & Line1/2/10Open until Jul 31 (See Restrictions)

Hope this helps. Took me a while to find the maps.

SpeciesAreasMin sizeGearLimits
(d/p/a)
Status
Chinook salmon18-9-/-/-Closed until Nov 30
Chinook salmon (hatchery)18-1 to 18-6,18-8,18-10,18-11Barbless Hook & Line0/0/-Non-retention until Jul 31 (See Restrictions)
18-762cmBarbless Hook & Line1/2/10Open until Jul 31 (See Restrictions)
Thanks cpony, I assume it is the same as last year from a first glance. Wonderful how all of 18-6 closes the instant an area next door opens...

Pinks have arrived in Sidney. Fished Fairfax, Spit, Power Wharf. Go them all in those spots. I was fishing for Springs, No pink gear at all. Catch and released 7 total. They are not thick like in Sooke but they are there.

Hello, heading out tomorrow with four kids for the first time fishing in Sidney area. I would love to know where are you all think we should go. Thank you🙏

Hello, heading out tomorrow with four kids for the first time fishing in Sidney area. I would love to know where are you all think we should go. Thank you🙏
Per the reports above, the Pinks are in the area. Assuming you are targeting them, Sidney spit and and Powder Wharf were flush with Pinks and there should be the odd Spring around too.

I found the odd spring on the evening bite. Sidney Island. Unfortunately, just as I was about to land it at the swim step, my rod tip broke and the fish released. Had another nice fish throw the hook a boat length back.

Lots of pinks. Caught many on this purple hootchie 75’ on the wire.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 79
I found the odd spring on the evening bite. Sidney Island. Unfortunately, just as I was about to land it at the swim step, my rod tip broke and the fish released. Had another nice fish throw the hook a boat length back.

Lots of pinks. Caught many on this purple hootchie 75’ on the wire.
I was out last night as well at Hamley, targeted pinks, lost 2, but ended up with a couple of nice Chinook

Fished east side of Moresby this morning. Was trying for some pinks to entertain my 4 year old. No pinks to be had but we managed two nice chinook and released a fat, healthy sockeye. Second spring grabbed both lures. Was a first for me but a childhood dream come true. 20230804_120647.jpg20230804_102612.jpg

I sent out with @Soup Knot Sea for a first light go for Chinook. I was so excited I woke well before my 04:15 alarm and had a little extra time for an extra cup of Joe and some forum time.

We launched in the classic double eagle 176. What a great boat. Glassy calm and glorious sunrise fishing. IMG_9358.jpeg
Got a couple of hits early but they were slippery buggers. Then I saw the boat of all boats come in with sir @carpeweekend joining the party
IMG_9360.jpeg
Lots of cabbage and a bit slow. So we wandered over to powder for a while, then finished at the spit. One to the boat 1cm under. Saw a nice tinny land one in the bay.

Luckily the crab traps had 6 nice dungees so I brought home my limit for a family dinner with the outlaws. Thanks T, it was a blast. I’m a lucky gal to have guys like you, Don, Greg, Glenn, Brian, Colin and others offer to take me out.

Tried to recreate my chinook magic from Friday at fairfax again yesterday. I guess i caught all the big ones because we got 1 pink and about 10 undersized chinook. Tried all depths and a barage of spoons and hootchies.

I sent out with @Soup Knot Sea for a first light go for Chinook. I was so excited I woke well before my 04:15 alarm and had a little extra time for an extra cup of Joe and some forum time.

We launched in the classic double eagle 176. What a great boat. Glassy calm and glorious sunrise fishing. View attachment 95783
Got a couple of hits early but they were slippery buggers. Then I saw the boat of all boats come in with sir @carpeweekend joining the party
View attachment 95784
Lots of cabbage and a bit slow. So we wandered over to powder for a while, then finished at the spit. One to the boat 1cm under. Saw a nice tinny land one in the bay.

Luckily the crab traps had 6 nice dungees so I brought home my limit for a family dinner with the outlaws. Thanks T, it was a blast. I’m a lucky gal to have guys like you, Don, Greg, Glenn, Brian, Colin and others offer to take me out.
Love the excitement, my son woke me up at 4 today, I got him back to sleep but couldn’t. We aren’t leaving for fishing until tomorrow but I’m fricking excited and I have lots of gear to sort.

Glad you are getting out and thanks for the report.

Did the afternoon fish today after the crowds left the ramp and waters. We picked up two, 11 and 12 lbs, and lost one more nice one. Lure of choice was a Westcoast Tackle Irish Cream Little Phat E. Not bad for a quick afternoon fish.
One of them was custom job from Jeff with a modification I ask for. He did them up and delivered ASAP.
Great service.

Went to Hamley after 6 pm tonight. Pinks jumping everywhere. Fished a gold nugget and had 3 chinooks to the boat. All wild 45-50 cms. What area has been most productive lately? I am just back from 20 days on the east coast so a little out of the loop lol

Attachments

• IMG_6989.jpeg
    IMG_6989.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
Took my 83 year old Mom out for an evening fish last night off of the open side of Moresby Island near Fairfax Point, to beat the heat and enjoy an epic evening. Joined 3 other boats around 6 pm. Lots of both fish and bait showing all over the water column. Dropped down a couple of flasher/spoon combos a bit deeper to avoid the Pinks. Around the high tide change it turned on. A couple of long line releases and then hit a very feisty Spring that took a couple of long runs before hitting the deck. Very scrappy and thick 72 cm fish.

Lost a Pink at the boat. Just as we were about to pull the pin around 8, picked up another Spring, 64 cm.

Both fish were caught between 85' and 120'. Spoons were a Skinny G, No Banana's for one and a purple/silver Gibbs for the other. Larger fish was a white Spring.

Time to get out there. Certainly seems to be a lot of fish around. Other boats seemed to be having some action too.

tempImageGB8X4v.png

Not a fishing report, but just let everyone know that sidney has closed off one of the docks at tulista due to the fire on Thursday until they can inspect and repair the float

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back