Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this area of 18-6 still open after June 30th? Can't seem to find it in the regulations.
Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours July 14, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only in the following waters:

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9.

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours July 31, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 18-7, 19-7, 19-8, and

That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48 degrees 44.0239’ N, 123 degrees 25.5622’W) to Harry Point on Piers Island (48 degrees 42.6137' N, 123 degrees 25.1697’W); AND west of a line from Indian Point on Piers Island (48 degrees 42.1410' N, 123 degrees 25.4996’W), then through the red buoy U16, then through the green marker on metal pilings, then due south to a point on Vancouver Island (48 degrees 41.6714’N, 123 degrees 25.5501‘W).

Reminder: Unmarked Chinook cannot be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Areas 17 and 18, and Subareas 19-7 and 19-8

Is anyone finding any hatchery fish in that area?
We found lots of hatchery clipped chinook around Wain but all undersized. By quite a bit. 35-50ish cms. Going to try again in Satellite this weekend. Sucks because coal and Sidney side is holding big springs right now!

Put the prawn traps down in the inlet and decided to kill our soaking time trolling off Hatch pt/ Arthritis Ridge area. Only a couple of clipped undersized. Marked more bait out deeper but wasn't willing or equipped to fish 200' depth. A couple of our prawn traps made the day. The others only had a few or were loaded with those squat lobster creatures. "Spotty" for spot prawns.

Does anyone know if the Pink have made an appearance yet? if so, where I might find them? Any help would be appreciated

Tried the inlet again and out of curiousity fished the old productive track from 40+ years ago. Bamberton to Shepherd pt., across to Mckenzie bight and then followed the shore North past the big bolder towards Willis point. Dead! Nadda! Lots of slime and debris floating around in the dead sea.

Prawn traps. first two traps each had a octopus. Second two were completely empty and the third set had a few small prawns. Productive spot usually. Hmmm. . .

Tried the inlet again and out of curiousity fished the old productive track from 40+ years ago. Bamberton to Shepherd pt., across to Mckenzie bight and then followed the shore North past the big bolder towards Willis point. Dead! Nadda! Lots of slime and debris floating around in the dead sea.

Prawn traps. first two traps each had an octopus. Second two were completely empty and the third set had a few small prawns. Productive spot usually. Hmmm. . .
Funny, I went over to Moses Pt and fished the shore line around Wain rock and into Deep Cove today. Nothing at all! Not a sniff! I started the day over near Moresby Island however and picked up one 72cm ling.

Went out yesterday for a boat ride jigging didn’t see much bait and had no keepers in the crab trap. The highlight was when I got back to the ramp 2 ladies were heading out. Put my boat on the trailer and they come back to the ramp and I said that was a quick trip. They were overwhelmed as the plug wasn’t in and they were taking on water. I told them to get there trailer and I would help, but one them said that her hubby and dropped them off and she was trying to call him. The boat is getting really low in the stern so I launch my boat again and put their boat on the trailer and hauled it up the ramp. Just as the water is almost finished draining a car and trailer come flying in. I said **** happens and pay it fwd then recovered my boat and headed home for a cold one. DON’T FORGET YOUR PLUG!

I saw a bunch of people fishing Coho and one catching them near Hamley Point. I'm going to try tomorrow with my son we were no very prepared today. Any idea on what to use for a lure and depth?

I have 2 ap tackleworks sandlance (mvp and lemon lime) , some skinny gs, a few old Coho killers and some other spoons.

Thanks!

I saw a bunch of people fishing Coho and one catching them near Hamley Point. I'm going to try tomorrow with my son we were no very prepared today. Any idea on what to use for a lure and depth?

I have 2 ap tackleworks sandlance (mvp and lemon lime) , some skinny gs, a few old Coho killers and some other spoons.

Thanks!
I will be new to fishing Sidney this year aside from years ago. In Sooke for next couple of weeks. I did go to the spit and puttered around for fun and marked a bunch of fish near Hamley. I would try a bit shallower near the bottom between the point and that shallow spot then troll out to sea. At least that is what I have heard. Let us know how it goes. Need inspiration as the board is quiet.

I will be new to fishing Sidney this year aside from years ago. In Sooke for next couple of weeks. I did go to the spit and puttered around for fun and marked a bunch of fish near Hamley. I would try a bit shallower near the bottom between the point and that shallow spot then troll out to sea. At least that is what I have heard. Let us know how it goes. Need inspiration as the board is quiet.
We went out and trolled from just South of Hamley Point looking for bait then went North and hugged the coast line, quite close to the shore keeping around 90-120 ft. We ended up seeing a bunch of bait jumping on the surface then a few huge bait pools at surface to 80ft, 40-100ft and then another 50-100. We circled around at least 7-8 times, originally with AP Tackleworks 4" sandlance MVP and a lemon lime, I switched it up half way through to a Skinny G herring aid and a cop car and nothing. We tried at 45', 65', 80', 95', no bueno.

Not sure what the bait was anyone have an idea whats out there at this time of year?

As an inexperienced troller, do you want to be in the middle of the bait or below it?

I assume there was just a ton of bait and no salmon feeding or we didnt have the right flasher/lure combo or depth, it was just after slack tide around 10ish to 11:15. Flashers we were running were Hot Shot Salty dog and Maddy.

1689628660746.png
1689628674715.png

1689628692326.png

We went out and trolled from just South of Hamley Point looking for bait then went North and hugged the coast line, quite close to the shore keeping around 90-120 ft. We ended up seeing a bunch of bait jumping on the surface then a few huge bait pools at surface to 80ft, 40-100ft and then another 50-100. We circled around at least 7-8 times, originally with AP Tackleworks 4" sandlance MVP and a lemon lime, I switched it up half way through to a Skinny G herring aid and a cop car and nothing. We tried at 45', 65', 80', 95', no bueno.

Not sure what the bait was anyone have an idea whats out there at this time of year?

As an inexperienced troller, do you want to be in the middle of the bait or below it?

I assume there was just a ton of bait and no salmon feeding or we didnt have the right flasher/lure combo or depth, it was just after slack tide around 10ish to 11:15. Flashers we were running were Hot Shot Salty dog and Maddy.

View attachment 94887
View attachment 94888

View attachment 94889
I am no expert and do not know Sidney well. Yes you could jig the bait ball but there may just be too much bait and not much salmon. However looking at your two picks the one big ball I would ignore the smaller one to the left just below appears to have a couple long humped lines. Those normally are the salmon I would have the depth a few feet above just at the bottom of that ball and ignore the big one. This being said most the time I never see the fish on the sounder when there is a bite but the lines like that are the ones to pay attention too

A lot of guys say they marked a lot of salmon on the sounder but they won't bite
I find you do mark some salmon on your sounder, but most are wishful thinking

I am going to say first pic @ 113’ the arc is a fish or possibly several fish in the lower left corner. Remember as well the sounder is basically showing a series of snapshots of what has happened and depending on your transducer position it could be a ways away from under the boat it’s not real-time.

I like to drop down through the bait and jig up through it. Typically I find springs will hit on the drop anywhere through the bait or near the edges of the bait ball. Lings / bottom fish are underneath attacking from the bottom and picking off the wounded.

Bait is probably small herring if it’s round and takes up a big portion of the water Column, I think sand lance appear as more flat and tight to the bottom. I sometime think too clouds near the bottom could be prawns ?

View attachment 94887
View attachment 94888

View attachment 94889
I like to troll one line around the top of the bait pile and 1 below

View attachment 94887
View attachment 94888

View attachment 94889
Hi smokedvw, I have that same sounder and cannot get it to look like that. Can you help me out with the settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back