Status
Not open for further replies.
@ThatswhatSeasaid to be honest I have not done anything to this sounder. I bought the boat and it came like this and all I have done is turn it on and off. I have a Dragonfly Pro 5 on my other boat that I think is better. I'm just wondering which part are you missing? You will only see that if their is bait.

I was able to see us jigging for ling cod yesterday on 16 oz jigs in anything above 100' when slack tide hit yesterday. Looked pretty cool. I know some people can see their downrigger balls and setups. I think that would be nice but I have never seen it show up on the Hook5x

@ThatswhatSeasaid to be honest I have not done anything to this sounder. I bought the boat and it came like this and all I have done is turn it on and off. I have a Dragonfly Pro 5 on my other boat that I think is better. I'm just wondering which part are you missing? You will only see that if their is bait.

I was able to see us jigging for ling cod yesterday on 16 oz jigs in anything above 100' when slack tide hit yesterday. Looked pretty cool. I know some people can see their downrigger balls and setups. I think that would be nice but I have never seen it show up on the Hook5x
Thanks smokedvw, my sounder works fine and I can see bait and myself jigging. The problem is that the colours are a strange blue and yellow. That's all. And it used to work at high speeds but now doesn't, I think because I did a factory reset. The way to see your downrigger balls on the sounder is to have your downriggers set up halfway between the bow and stern. My other boat was like that and it was fun. Cheers!

Does the refresh allow quicker speeds? I find anything past like 4-5 knots and I don't see it picking up much. Not sure how quick you guys can go when looking for bait ;)
I think Slabbed out is saying that you can adjust the refresh speed of the transducer. I'll try it next time I go out.

First time fishing Sidney, tough to find decent productive spots for bottom fishing. Would anyone be able to guide us in the right direction? We tried around Moresby Island yesterday, both for halibut and bottom fish. Ventured around basically the entire island looking for fish but found the currents tough to work with, and we were quite discouraged after fighting and releasing an absurd amount of dogfish at all depths. Didn’t seem to matter what we used; bait, jigs, swim baits, they wanted it all. Was thinking of trying some areas more south while avoiding the RCAs. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Had a great time yesterday thanks to Stizzla. We were able to get a beauty ling and a couple rockfish!

On a side note, is there any place to grab some big bags of ice in town?
You can get ice at Save on foods or Coop gas station. I'm not sure if you can by salted ice from the fish market on the pier but they are not open on the weekends.

August can be great fishing around Sidney. I’ve had some unreal fishing first light at powder warf in mid to late August

There are fish around Sidney now so should be good in August. Picked up a 9lb plus hatchery off Arbutus today on a Westcoast Tackle PHAT-E spoon. Had a few unders and lost a pin popper, all in less than an hour. Out at 10:00 back by noon with fish and limit of jumbo prawns.
Picked up the wife and new puppy for a boat ride and trip to the spit. Some times we don't realize how great it is here and take it for granted.

Attachments

• 20230726_113445.jpg
    20230726_113445.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back