Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, it adds the gap between SaltSpring and the Peninsula up to Piers Island to area 18-7.
This is the area I figured as I do see people trolling here when we are cruising around. No idea how the fishing is though. Thanks for the map. I had a hard time googling those coordinates.

This is the area I figured as I do see people trolling here when we are cruising around. No idea how the fishing is though. Thanks for the map. I had a hard time googling those coordinates.
No problem. Although I’ve never fished here, usually if you see people fishing a certain area, you can be sure as hell they (or someone they know) have caught fish there before! 😉

No problem. Although I’ve never fished here, usually if you see people fishing a certain area, you can be sure as hell they (or someone they know) have caught fish there before! 😉
The important thing to note is that these are areas we have historically fished for non fraser fish, which has been proven by the returned head data and the work of sidney anglers over the last 40 years

Launched out of Mill Bay. Always a treat.:) Prawn traps down and we headed North. Got a little rough so kept going. Dropped a crab on the bar near Cherry pt. and then had a pleasant ride up Seymour narrows and Genoa bay. Commercial prawners were pounding Separation pt. Dropp[ed a few jigs but strangely not even a rock fish.
The ride back was plain snotty as the forecast .2 waves were more like .6 and tight. Crab trap gave us a couple of legal dungies and then about 100 prawns in 4 traps.
We had a little beach picnic with some fresh fried prawns. Within sight, I could point out places where years ago our family would go midnight clamming at Pat Bay, trolled deep for Chinooks towards Bamberton and Brentwood in a vintage clinker, caught shallow coho on bucktails, filled buckets with sole if nothing else would bite. Enjoyed many a duck shoot in Cowichan Bay and took several bucks, on the slopes of Mt. Tuam. Steelhead and trout galore up the Cowichan. etc. etc. What a place and what good fortune I have had.

After a weekend out in Sooke it was back to Sidney this morning and again tomorrow as the wind is forecast to be up in JDF. This morning I took a mom and her 14 year old son from Edmonton out for 4 hours. They were staying in Sooke but decided calm water sounded more fun so thy drove around and met me at 6:30 this morning. It was made easier because they were catching a flight home from YYJ later today, so they had to come that way anyways. Her son played 11 springs (first salmon he has fished for) with the largest 2 going 10 pounds and she played a 12th on a double header. Again springs jumping out of the water while we fished. Most of the action was before 8am. Skinny G's on the bottom worked for us. Hopefully some new fish without sore mouths move in for tomorrow.

After a weekend out in Sooke it was back to Sidney this morning and again tomorrow as the wind is forecast to be up in JDF. This morning I took a mom and her 14 year old son from Edmonton out for 4 hours. They were staying in Sooke but decided calm water sounded more fun so thy drove around and met me at 6:30 this morning. It was made easier because they were catching a flight home from YYJ later today, so they had to come that way anyways. Her son played 11 springs (first salmon he has fished for) with the largest 2 going 10 pounds and she played a 12th on a double header. Again springs jumping out of the water while we fished. Most of the action was before 8am. Skinny G's on the bottom worked for us. Hopefully some new fish without sore mouths move in for tomorrow.
Nice work! Good to see you’re getting clients for a catch and release fishery! Is there any point in trying 18-7 / 19-7 and that portion of 18-6 west of Piers island for 1 hatchery? Or has anyone tried these areas recently for that matter?

Out early. Started at Coal. Marked fish but no bites. Too many seals anyways. Shallowed up and headed South over the hump between the two little islands then dropped them down to 80'. Boom! Boom! double header. Brought one up to the side of the boat and lost the other. Nothing big, maybe 8lbs. Tried for a repeat but no luck. Headed down James Island powder wharf ways and jigged for a while. Snagged a few herring but no salmon. Headed in by 10, soaked and cold having not really planned on constant down pour.

Old cowichan bay angler who’s enjoyed info from this thread as 18-7,or saanich inlet have been closed lately.we got two in may at Fairfax depth plus 10ft on rigger….nerve racking but worked.flat bottom seemed optimum.early June there is bait in the narrows old rule is bold bluff on the ebb ,burial island on the flood,guide boat in cable bay north of burial during ebb,no net ….but he stayed.fished 110 ft,green flashers,bloody nose spoon n cop car.met fisheries they were great,I put down a barbed lure after loosing a beauty to the rigger,he let me go,was a mistake I made but 550$ wow.
Kids google charlie white ,he was the first salmon filmer,advocate in saanich inlet,saying that Bamberton ferry dock used to give up fish,maybe hatch point weather permitting…windy channel careful in afternoon.
thanx eroyd for the tale,as to you tube they did a job on Lois lake…..profisher has a point and if I may he’s working , rent him he’ll take you there.also fisherman are famous embellishers ,ramp or pub,lol we did “fake pulls”mooching the bluff in the 70s

Old cowichan bay angler who’s enjoyed info from this thread as 18-7,or saanich inlet have been closed lately.we got two in may at Fairfax depth plus 10ft on rigger….nerve racking but worked.flat bottom seemed optimum.early June there is bait in the narrows old rule is bold bluff on the ebb ,burial island on the flood,guide boat in cable bay north of burial during ebb,no net ….but he stayed.fished 110 ft,green flashers,bloody nose spoon n cop car.met fisheries they were great,I put down a barbed lure after loosing a beauty to the rigger,he let me go,was a mistake I made but 550$ wow.
Kids google charlie white ,he was the first salmon filmer,advocate in saanich inlet,saying that Bamberton ferry dock used to give up fish,maybe hatch point weather permitting…windy channel careful in afternoon.
thanx eroyd for the tale,as to you tube they did a job on Lois lake…..profisher has a point and if I may he’s working , rent him he’ll take you there.also fisherman are famous embellishers ,ramp or pub,lol we did “fake pulls”mooching the bluff in the 70s
Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours July 31, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters: Subareas 18-7, 19-7, 19-8, and That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48 degrees 44.0239' N, 123 degrees 25.5622'W) to a point on Piers Island (48 degrees 48.4586'N, 123 degrees 25.3965'W) then to a point on the Saanich Peninsula near 48 degrees 41.8550'N, 123 degrees 26.1056'W. Reminder: Unmarked Chinook cannot be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Areas 17 and 18, and Subareas 19-7 and 19-8 is 62 cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back