2023 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized this is south end of thormanby, near Fraser rock.
Bait used to stack thick in there years ago but it’s been a long time for me since I’ve fished that area. Seals also used to stack in there and on the rocks make for a sheeeet show if you hooked up

Lots of bottom structure around Pirate Rock and the rest of the S end of Thormanby. During fast tides, there is a back eddy around the Rock that collects bait and attracts salmon. When the Chapman Ck coho run is on in August, this is a favourite place for them to stack up and feed before going into the creek.

Pirate has always been a favourite. Used to start mid June for springs before the libs got the hate on for all things boating. If you approach running down from Epsom to the south and cut through between Bertha Island and Thormanby look for seals, if the are thick just before the entrance or within the Chanel I find the salmon missing. Last Sunday was very good at Pirate just had to drop in even though everywhere was productive until a massive school of mammals showed up feeding off Epsom, cool show but we moved to Bjerre for more non-stop action. One photos shows the entrance between Bertha and Thromanby, the city slicker with the Ho is at Pirate. The others are random pics from last weekends city slickers visit, took until now to be able to type again with all the finger/hand work running the gear and tilting the arm. Bottom line the fishing out of Secret cove is reminiscence of the early 80's!

Attachments

• IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 121
Ran Port Hardy - Secret cove today on our way back to Port Moody . Got In at around 630 picked up a friend , got our rationed 12 live herring and went and anchored up on epsom . 150’ line , HOT bite , never had a herring make it to my preferred depth without getting hit on the way down . Ended with 8 springs , all handsome size , releasing 7 and retaining one for our guest , 80cm on the nose . We also jigged some flat falls after we ran out of bait , picked up this 88cm hali ! Second strait of Georgia halibut on the slow pitch jigs in a month ! Pretty proud of that .

Anyone still finding Chinooks up near Egmont point or in Sechelt Inlet? Was pretty consistent fishing till late July, then I was back in the city for a couple weeks... haven't found a Spring since I returned a week ago on 5 trips out. I've tried all the things that worked well from May-July... but any advice on where to try / depth / gear would be hugely appreciated! Or if it's done for the year up here, let me know and I'll save some gas and stop boating around in circles. :)

Board isn't that active lately... going to try mouth of Jervis this morning, see how it goes.
Not as many boats out there, but things can change day-day.

I think it will be very quiet in the inlets, my last trip to Killiam was the end of July and it was quiet. Picked one up after fighting the seal off but that was it.

Got into some solid coho action on Epsom this morning on the rising tide. All fish were wild but bite was pretty strong out to the W in 100’ - 140’. Lots of bait and lots of shakers around 50’.

Just about to call it at 11:45. Pulled up one rod with a shaker and got a really solid hit on the other. Peeled out line, splashed at the surface, sounded down deep. Finally brought it in close and saw the big tail cut the water.

My net man did some solid work and we taped this one out to 79cm exactly. Phew!

IMG_4315.jpeg

Probably my last solid fish on the coast this year, so felt really happy to get it. Turns out it was a wild marble white male.

IMG_7131.jpeg

I think it will be very quiet in the inlets, my last trip to Killiam was the end of July and it was quiet. Picked one up after fighting the seal off but that was it.
Couldn't help myself... went back for one more troll this morning on the Egmont Pt to Killam tack... caught a 60cm Spring that was "big" for it's length but had to go back till next year. 150ft on the downrigger in 175ft of water near Egmont Pt. Otherwise was picking up lots of little 12" salmon at all depths from 70ft down to 150ft.

Was out at Epsom this morning. Nice to see it active still. Nailed a couple springs & kept an 80 cm gem caught on a big Superior #7. A couple humpbacks transited the point too. Beautiful morning.

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpeg
    IMG_5103.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 101
  • 1366450D-C935-4A75-AD56-9BF0B8216C92.jpeg
    1366450D-C935-4A75-AD56-9BF0B8216C92.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5108.png
    IMG_5108.png
    655.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5115.jpeg
    IMG_5115.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 100
Was out at Epsom this morning. Nice to see it active still. Nailed a couple springs & kept an 80 cm gem caught on a big Superior #7. A couple humpbacks transited the point too. Beautiful morning.
Great photos. Was the spring a white or red?

Asking because I'm wondering if this push of springs is the Thompson whites that show up around the 3rd week of September at the mouth of the Fraser.

Dejaview! Flat water and lots of bait off Epsom yesterday. High tide was so good! A lot of nets in the air, no unders for us, one just pushing 80, 2 clipped Ho's back to back. Work the contours, find the bait, stay with bait. Went to the slip this AM and fish were coming in from the early risers. Oh also FYI, Buccaneer is out of Bait both live and frozen, more to come this week is the word. Home work today :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    720.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back