Status
Not open for further replies.
i was out for about three hours or so. i say go for it. i also lost a couple of fish. send the jig to the bottom of the bait; that’s where we got all the hookups. that boat of yours is so awesome!!
Good to know! I'm hoping to get out before the end of the month but we will see, super busy time of year unfortunately.

Thank you, yours too! This boat is going to get even better, possible pod and outriggers for tuna next year :cool:

Definitely slowing down, quite a few shakers before quickly uprising gear but nothing legal. Saw some nets come out and I'm sure some were having success, but the bait is getting more disperse and the fish are moving on.

Definitely slowing down, quite a few shakers before quickly uprising gear but nothing legal. Saw some nets come out and I'm sure some were having success, but the bait is getting more disperse and the fish are moving on.
thanks for this. where were you fishing?

Fished the hump and then between the red and green can in about 200 ft-lots of bait on fri at the low slack Jigged til my arm got tired and then trolled an artificial strip with smelly jelly--lots of takers but nothing legal -had lunch and went back jigging-finally hit a coho and then an undersize spring and a legal spring-around 72. Nice day-just me and my Golden- hanging it up for the year--- been an epic year-Jigged about 60% of the time. Not the west coast but damn I am lucky to still be doing It. Think I'll just watch the fly fishermen at saratoga beach flail the water. Good morning coffee entertainment

thanks for this. where were you fishing?
Hit all the spots on south quadra, bait was moving around and it seemed like whenever I found a good ball and marked it it would move or disperse within minutes. Trolled plugs and spoons with some success, no salmon on the jig for me today unfortunately. Not even much ground fish, some flounder and a couple solid hits that didn't fully connect. Going to get out in October when the wind cooperates for some boat rides but I think the focused fishing days are done for me this year, apart from some feeder spring days maybe.

Abandoned Trap - For anyone cruising in the area, there is a Buoy.....by the new regs....should a prawn trap - Round Scotchman....sitting about 1/2 kilometer off shore south of Shelter Point. A more accurate point would be just South of Engles Road. Been there for over a week.

New to CR, DFO has confused me once again!
Coho: 1&1 clipped and unclipped? Or Area 13 closed to unclipped??? Different from Sooke 😜
TIA, Xena

Coho: 1&1 clipped and unclipped? Or Area 13 closed to unclipped??? Different from Sooke 😜
TIA, Xena

Not sure what's confusing? Non retention on all wild coho in area 13.

TIA, Xena
I’m with you. More DFO confusement by changing regulations on Oct 1 for no real purpose.

The reality is that the bulk of all coho we catch now in the Gulf come from hatchery brood stock. If they want to keep it simple for (ahem conservation purposes) allow 1 coho a day any type. How many “wild” bleeders do we really want to release?

Hi Guys,
We are catching a few coho off the Front here in Victoria and lots of jack springs.

No keepers. About 15 boats out.. Weather is balmy and beautiful.

Got some vintage tackle for sale.

I was using the fishing BC app, instead of the DFO Website, I thought it would be more clear, I see by the post that Northfish responded with that the DFO was definitive. Thanks!

I was using the fishing BC app, instead of the DFO Website, I thought it would be more clear, I see by the post that Northfish responded with that the DFO was definitive. Thanks!
Ahh. Yeah that app can get messy with a bunch of species selected. I use it too but don't rely on it, the DFO website doesn't always translate well to mobile but if I'm ever not sure I follow the DFO rules instead of what the app comes up with!

Got out for the afternoon today, gorgeous day. All the action was around the tide change, pretty quiet apart from undersized fish. Had to really focus on the sounder and target very specific marks, ended up with a super tasty feeder fish at the 65 cm mark on a jig with a few others just under 62 cm as well. Looking forward to the winter feeder fishery!

Another incredible weather day out there, pretty damn cold in the morning though! Started off with 5 inch plugs and 6 inch spoons, first legal spring of the day was on a 7 inch Tomic 191 rigged with fluoro and an octopus hook behind the swivel. Started jigging and absolutely hammered em, 3 more well legal chinook and some good size rock sole which was actually the target species for the day believe it or not. Took home one spring that had eye damage and released the rest in great condition. Also had one hatchery chinook 1 cm undersized which was a bummer, rock sole fried up in butter and lemon is a treat!

Attachments

• 20231029_131501.jpg
    20231029_131501.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 76
First fishing trip for us since moving to CR. 9:30-12.Fished the contours on bottom around the red can and made our way towards the green can. We did get a fish, unfortunately under-sized by 10cm, gaff released to fatten up for another time! Can't wait to try again!
Xena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back