Status
Not open for further replies.
As a flat lander from AB, I had quite the memorable experience on my 1st time out alone in my Trophy Pro on Tuesday!!
Looks like you have a local sea lion that's pretty surgeon like without the use of a scalpel.
IMG-1199.jpg

Appreciate the tips here, found a nice pod of bait and spring feeding frenzy on weds…everyone had multiple big herring in it. A few doubles and a nice over size for the wife bade it a memorable couple hours to box out. Tomic and 6” grandslam bucktail were the hottest. East side up towards Rebecca. Will fill you in on the rest of the trip when I get a moment IMG_5186.jpeg

I headed yesterday out, with my family, visiting for a week. We ran over to Francisco and trolled all the way around the green can to the hump. Non stop shakers, with the odd pink throw in. We were near the bottom, hoping for springs.
Anyone heading north, up near Brown’s Bay? Just hoping to find some pin poppers!!

I headed yesterday out, with my family, visiting for a week. We ran over to Francisco and trolled all the way around the green can to the hump. Non stop shakers, with the odd pink throw in. We were near the bottom, hoping for springs.
Anyone heading north, up near Brown’s Bay? Just hoping to find some pin poppers!!
We were out noon to 4

Kept three, 2@9lbs 1@6

220-245 on rigger, 200 - 290 water

Slow but fun

Had a good sized spring at the lighthouse at 45' in between the coho

Ended up with 3 springs, near Francisco point. 230 on the rigger in 250. Big 6” spoon and 5” 602 plug caught them. Had to switch to big tackle to deter the shakers. Trued for coho, near the lighthouse, on the slack, but no luck.

Ended up with 3 springs, near Francisco point. 230 on the rigger in 250. Big 6” spoon and 5” 602 plug caught them. Had to switch to big tackle to deter the shakers. Trued for coho, near the lighthouse, on the slack, but no luck.
I've found the coho like some sort of current, they'll sit in the back eddy behind bait balls. I've had a lot of success fishing 40 feet of water and less with jigs, double digit days pretty frequently!

I've found the coho like some sort of current, they'll sit in the back eddy behind bait balls. I've had a lot of success fishing 40 feet of water and less with jigs, double digit days pretty frequently!
I made a couple passes while trolling, on the shoal, with the hope of getting into what ever is fritter bait up. I’ve also been really tempted to try jigging too. Lots of boats on the shoal trying. So exciting to hook up with the rod in your hand.

I made a couple passes while trolling, on the shoal, with the hope of getting into what ever is fritter bait up. I’ve also been really tempted to try jigging too. Lots of boats on the shoal trying. So exciting to hook up with the rod in your hand.
Got a few on the jig today, including a spring that was a little unexpected... Dropped for lings and near the bottom felt a solid thump and watched my line rip towards the surface, half a dozen jumps later we netted a nice 70 cm slot fish. Daiwa jigs with the glow stripes have been working wonders for me lately!

Attachments

• 20230827_173027.jpg
    20230827_173027.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 112
Awesome day yesterday, first bunch of fish on the new jigging set up, and a whack of fish on the spoon shallow. First net job for my 10 year old son on a keeper spring, and he did fantastic! He had his first major heart break loosing a large spring at the boat (I think the spoons need a swivel in between bottom and hook). We got it to the boat, so it 'counts' according to him ;)

Still amazing out there, first light at francisco seems to be the key although it produces all day regardless. Ebb tide at the lighthouse has been great as well, the fish are generally focused in small areas but once found will hit just about anything.

Still amazing out there, first light at francisco seems to be the key although it produces all day regardless. Ebb tide at the lighthouse has been great as well, the fish are generally focused in small areas but once found will hit just about anything.
you’re making me nuts. that’s it i’m going out sunday

you’re making me nuts. that’s it i’m going out sunday
I've been neglecting every other responsibility and just going fishing almost everyday or evening. Put 40 hours on the boat in the past week or so, I might have a clinical addiction.

That aside, would highly recommend plugs in various sizes. I'm a big fan of the uvbii patterns in 5-7 inches, pin pulled or not doesn't matter really. Daiwa SK jigs and Flatfalls are excellent as well, I prefer the daiwa jigs as the profile helps drop faster and keep the line straight but the action is more or less the same. I've seen fish caught on flashers and hoochies as well, I just refuse to use flashers on principle so can't comment on effectiveness personally. Just about every fish of size I've retained has had herring in the 6-9 inch range so that's something to keep in mind too!

I've been neglecting every other responsibility and just going fishing almost everyday or evening. Put 40 hours on the boat in the past week or so, I might have a clinical addiction.

That aside, would highly recommend plugs in various sizes. I'm a big fan of the uvbii patterns in 5-7 inches, pin pulled or not doesn't matter really. Daiwa SK jigs and Flatfalls are excellent as well, I prefer the daiwa jigs as the profile helps drop faster and keep the line straight but the action is more or less the same. I've seen fish caught on flashers and hoochies as well, I just refuse to use flashers on principle so can't comment on effectiveness personally. Just about every fish of size I've retained has had herring in the 6-9 inch range so that's something to keep in mind too!
yah those SK jigs are super cool because they fish i. the way up too, as opposed to flat falls. the amount of coho that chase those things to the very top is staggering

yah those SK jigs are super cool because they fish i. the way up too, as opposed to flat falls. the amount of coho that chase those things to the very top is staggering
Yep. That's exactly why I've been using them!

Although I did get a Chinook whack an 80 gram flat fall on the retrieve yesterday as well, so who knows..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back